Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harris Ranch, CA (18 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As reported a week ago, the first 6 stalls (including the 4 pull forward stalls) are still down. Also the last stall (9B) is taped as out of order. So only 11 working stalls. It was still dark when we came through so not worth posting the picture I took of the new construction. It doesn't look like Tesla and probably is EA - 7 stalls going in.

100 new stalls for Harris Ranch

Reactions: ohmman
100 new stalls for Harris Ranch

Pedantic: ~100 total stalls, not 100 new ones. (the old stalls will remain, in original location)

Long ago they talked about battery swaps for Teslas that were faster than a gas car getting filled. And were planning on doing them there. Elon Musk was in a commercial about it on TV. But the idea was abandoned.

I don’t get the joke :)

The Model S was designed with battery swapping in mind. Tesla set up a prototype swapping station at Harris. But Supercharging was so vastly more preferred, that the swapping station didn't last very long. I think it did earn Tesla some additional brownie points in the form of CARB credits - which Tesla was then able to sell to other automakers.

But Supercharging was so vastly more preferred, that the swapping station didn't last very long.
That’s what Elon claimed, but in reality Tesla made it difficult to actually get a battery swap done. You had to apply in advance to be in the beta program, get approved, then make an appointment every time you planned on doing a swap.

At the time it was offered, supercharging was also free for life, whereas each swap would cost $40. And I doubt it was as fast (forget faster) than a gas refill stop. Now that SC is paid for non-grandfathered vehicles, a battery swap could be attractive for those in a real hurry.

Ultimately, I think the real reason for Tesla not pursuing battery swaps were high infrastructure costs and battery ownership tied to degradation. It would be bad customer experience for an owner to swap their brand new pack for a heavily degraded one.

At the Harris Ranch swap pilot station, the idea was to get your original battery back on your return trip to/from the NorCal-SoCal route. But I don’t know that this would work along non-roundtrip routes.

Anyway, to keep this thread somewhat on-topic and for the sake of nostalgia, here are photos I took of the station back in March 2015:

2AD98AC3-6C2D-4550-9232-0FB3B371770F.jpeg
1081C46B-3A74-4472-869C-9B8E7720E578.jpeg
82F26BD3-35E2-4F00-B533-0DC5A1B1B006.jpeg
E5FA9B4C-F442-4A91-8A06-B9FE536BCB2B.jpeg

EAD97EAE-06CE-4C37-9C27-1B9A15F0A854.jpeg

Swap was viable seemingly until CARB changed the way they distributed "fast charging" ZEV credits. When they changed that, swap died. I don't think it had much of a future anyway, but it appeared to be extremely lucrative for Tesla for a short while. Sorry for the aside. Just trying to make a joke..

The battery swap place was near the Shell. I think it had been a drive thru car wash previously. Did they really have the original superchargers near there too? I did not know that, but it was before my time. I always assumed the originals were generally where they are now (minus the expansion).
Yep, and it only had 1 stall.
this image is from page 2 of this thread it shows where the original one was located

EE0DED1E-49E6-49D0-A23C-CEA94C3A71F8.jpeg

Yep, and it only had 1 stall.
this image is from page 2 of this thread it shows where the original one was located

View attachment 651717
Photo of said first Harris Ranch SuperCharger stall, back in October 2012 (IIRC there was a 72 amp Roadster charger right next to it too... so old school Model S owners might occasionally get "blocked" by a charging Roadster ;))
1617814124698.png

Photo of said first Harris Ranch SuperCharger stall, back in October 2012 (IIRC there was a 72 amp Roadster charger right next to it too... so old school Model S owners might occasionally get "blocked" by a charging Roadster ;))

Back in 2010 or so, I was driving from the Bay Area to Los Angeles with a friend/neighbor who was, and still is, an early Tesla employee. It was a year or two before the Model S was released. We stopped at Harris Ranch for lunch and afterwards walked around to find the above Roadster charging station. He knew it was there, but hadn't actually seen it in person yet. I think there is still one - but moved to a new spot.

View attachment 651740
Crazy how fast time flies, I remember the Supercharger announcement like it was yesterday. The months and years of excitement watching it grow and watching Tesla grow was pure joy.
Harris Ranch will always be a special Supercharger to me, it was the first location I charged at on the way to one of the best family vacations.

Reactions: bmah and ohmman