Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hollister, CA (Casa De Fruta, LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 20 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally made it to Casa de Supercharger!

Had the whole place to ourselves this morning. The Supercharger is pretty far away from the fruit stand area, teaching me that I’d never actually explored around this place very much. Had I known better I would have stayed on the main road and turned on to the property where the trucks go to refuel instead of driving through the crowded parking lots. Some signage might be useful.

We only stayed long enough to be able to say “I charged here” (didn’t really need the electrons) and moved on...we were on a bit of a schedule.

Bruce.

PS. Yeah I know you don’t really get electrons at these things (otherwise your car would acquire a large negatives charge) but pretty much everybody else uses this totally wrong phraseology. :rolleyes:

I was here today, plugged in for a few minutes, then heard a giant explosion off to the side of the vehicle. I think a transformer blew up or something. Charging stopped immediately, and the entire facility lost power. The employees said this happens all the time now.

I tried to call Tesla to tell them what happened, but waited on hold for nearly 60 minutes and then someone picked up the phone and hung up on me.

2.5 hours later they finally marked it inactive on the map. In the 10 minutes I sat there 3-4 more cars pulled up. I hope people weren’t stranded while Tesla made itself unreachable.

They should really have a different number to report Supercharger issues. Also, maybe don’t rely on this station working.

I was here today, plugged in for a few minutes, then heard a giant explosion off to the side of the vehicle. I think a transformer blew up or something. Charging stopped immediately, and the entire facility lost power. The employees said this happens all the time now.

If it is happening all the time it is probably just a fuse blowing, but really they should determine and fix the root cause.

Charged there the other Friday afternoon, didn't have any issues. Charged faster there than Tejon Ranch and Kettleman City, not sure if it was because of the cooler temps or more lightly used Supercharger (and thus the connector was in better shape).

Was the only car at Casa de Fruta, but wasn't sharing stalls at the other stops, either.

Sorry to hear about that problem. I suspect the employees are exaggerating. Of course “all the time” is one of those expressions that conveys no useful information.
The person I talked to said he didn't really keep track of how often, but it was often enough that they bought generators to run their shop and the rest of the facility when it happens. He said it was probably at least once a month, but usually happened when there are a bunch of cars there. I was the only one charging yesterday. The entire station is still out of service as of now.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and bmah
He said it was probably at least once a month, but usually happened when there are a bunch of cars there.
Okay, thanks. At this point it isn’t clear to me if the power problem at Casa de Fruta is related to the Supercharger power draw or if the problem is elsewhere. Let’s not make unwarranted assumptions.
I was the only one charging yesterday. The entire station is still out of service as of now
I read that as you charged there but it was out of service. Which likely is not what you intended to say. ;) Can you clarify?

Okay, thanks. At this point it isn’t clear to me if the power problem at Casa de Fruta is related to the Supercharger power draw or if the problem is elsewhere. Let’s not make unwarranted assumptions.
I wasn’t making assumptions. I was just sharing what I was told by the folks who work there.

That said, something to the effect of “we had to buy generators when the Superchargers went in because our power keeps going out now” does kind of point in a particular direction.

They were kind enough to take exact change for the sandwich which I was in the process of buying while they tried to figure out why the generators also failed this time, so that was nice.

I read that as you charged there but it was out of service. Which likely is not what you intended to say. ;) Can you clarify?
Sure. I was the only car charging. I heard a huge noise like an explosion (huge breaker tripping?). Charging stopped. After several hours it got marked out of service. The next day the station was still marked out of service. (And it was actually out of service for over a week, I kept checking on it)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo