Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Michelson location has lots of shopping/dining options....

...it has too many shopping/dining options ala all Irvine "planned" centers, for example see The Spectrum on any weekend evening.

I was at the Michelson location last week for TGIF. There was so much traffic in the parking lot they had rent-a-cops controlling the traffic on either end of that address. It was a slow crawl with very little parking on the ground or in the structure.

And correct me if I'm wrong but there is no open dirt there. My money is on the SuperChargers being installed on the top floor of the very crowded parking structure which will easily add 10 minutes or more in each direction during Happy Hour 6 days a week. Not sure how crowded the center is at other times.

Needless to say I hope I am wrong. Hopefully the SCs will be located east of that address up against the 405. That location would be a little bit better.

You're joking right? 74 stalls across 5 sites within 15 miles isn't enough, not even counting these two planned sites which will probably bring the total number up to over 100 stalls?
I lol'd at that as well. Probably the most egregious version of the oft-repeated "now if they would only build a supercharger here!" retort that you often hear after new supercharger construction is spotted.

Reactions: Chuq
...it has too many shopping/dining options ala all Irvine "planned" centers, for example see The Spectrum on any weekend evening.

I was at the Michelson location last week for TGIF. There was so much traffic in the parking lot they had rent-a-cops controlling the traffic on either end of that address. It was a slow crawl with very little parking on the ground or in the structure.

And correct me if I'm wrong but there is no open dirt there. My money is on the SuperChargers being installed on the top floor of the very crowded parking structure which will easily add 10 minutes or more in each direction during Happy Hour 6 days a week. Not sure how crowded the center is at other times.

Needless to say I hope I am wrong. Hopefully the SCs will be located east of that address up against the 405. That location would be a little bit better.

You are absolutely correct. The Michelson area is extremely busy throughout the day. The structure is the most logical place because it's closer to the restaurant. As you mentioned, it would be better positioned against the 405, but it'll be a hike to restaurants/restrooms. The Main location is not any better, since it's also in high traffic parking structure. Neither location will be easily access given the high volume of traffic at Jamboree/Michelson and Main/MacArthur. With all that said, I'd still welcome them.

Reactions: Bacalao
The area immediately around these chargers has seen an explosion in new higher-end apartments recently.

Going to be a lot of locals charging nights and weekends, but on the flip side I bet it will help Tesla sell dozens of cars.

You're joking right? 74 stalls across 5 sites within 15 miles isn't enough, not even counting these two planned sites which will probably bring the total number up to over 100 stalls?
Not a joke. This area has some of the largest population of Teslas of anywhere in the world, and this is also happens to be the single busiest travel corridor in the entire country. Every supercharger station built here has been massively congested since the day they were built. The number of actual stalls is irrelevant, unless they meet demands. It is the ratio of stalls/use that matters, and north Orange County has never had sufficient amounts. The recent addition of multiple stations in San Diego has helped significantly, but when you consider traffic patterns, that is another region entirely.

I have always said that Irvine would fill a huge gap, allowing decompression of Fountain Valley, and secure an easy commute between LA and San Diego.

There are a lot of Teslas out here. Yesterday I ran an experiment while waiting for breakfast at a restaurant on a busy street in Yorba Linda, known by some of us as Teslatown. The experiment was to see what the average time would be between spotting a Tesla on the street. Average was just under 30 seconds during this rush hour period! The penetration is already large and growing.

Reactions: Troy916
Not a joke. This area has some of the largest population of Teslas of anywhere in the world, and this is also happens to be the single busiest travel corridor in the entire country. Every supercharger station built here has been massively congested since the day they were built. The number of actual stalls is irrelevant, unless they meet demands. It is the ratio of stalls/use that matters, and north Orange County has never had sufficient amounts. The recent addition of multiple stations in San Diego has helped significantly, but when you consider traffic patterns, that is another region entirely.

I have always said that Irvine would fill a huge gap, allowing decompression of Fountain Valley, and secure an easy commute between LA and San Diego.

Getting people to stop charging daily to save a few bucks would make a big difference. I live near Irvine and a lot of people are regulars there who told me they charge even though they could do so at home.

It would be interesting to see where it is exactly. I go here a lot as I live nearby and go to the LA Fitness in the plaza. The main retail parking garage is pretty small as it is ever since it was cut in half to split retail shoppers/office workers in the area. The first floor has about a dozen EV designated spots with I think 6 chargepoint spots.

As someone said earlier the top floor makes the most sense, but isn't the most convenient. I will be on the lookout as I park and go to this gym multiple times a week.

I'm surprised it is not the empty parking lot in the back, ever since Irvine Company built multiple structures as well as an apartment expansion complex over an existing parking lot area, there is a large space there that never has cars parked. Only ever see company events there.

Posting a map: the red circled area is a large empty parking lot that hasn't been used for parking a over a years. The red mark is where the address of the permit is.

3JUuwop.png

Posting a map: the red circled area is a large empty parking lot that hasn't been used for parking a over a years. The red mark is where the address of the permit is.
The address on the permit is just the general street address for the whole complex, therefore it's not a good indicator of the exact location within the property where the superchargers will go.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
That Red Circle Area has been approved by city of Irvine to do a massive office building. Possible the SC could go in the parking structure next to the red circle (where the ChargePoint charging station is on the map) but then again the address there is 3181. Park Place is owned by a company called LBA Realty 3181 | Park Place

SC should go in the LA Fitness structure even though it's busy. Much closer to the Starbucks/Retail stuff.

Last edited:
The area immediately around these chargers has seen an explosion in new higher-end apartments recently.

Going to be a lot of locals charging nights and weekends, but on the flip side I bet it will help Tesla sell dozens of cars.
It's insane the amount of high-end apartments in the area that are being built. It makes me wonder what the vacancy rates will be in that area, or if they actually think they can fill them up. Regardless, any additional SuperChargers in the area will help a bit.

Drove through the entire structure today. No fencing or visible construction yet, but spoke to a security guard who was coning off an area to be "pressure washed."

There were ~10 traffic cones blocking parking spaces on the first level nearest the LA Fitness entrance. Very high traffic area, most conspicuous place in the structure and most convenient to retail stuff. The blocked spaces were not continuous, and it seemed like they were adding cones to block more spaces as cars left.

Could be a coincidence, or could be they are pressure washing the area pre-install.