Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Municipality of Jasper is looking at dedicating a section of a car park to electric vehicle charging and has a proposal from Tesla to install 8x V3 stalls on the table:

https://www.jasper-alberta.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/821

It appears they want to set aside a dedicated EV charging section and invite multiple EV charging providers to get involved:

"Proposed Jasper location for a Municipally coordinated project in a municipal parking lot is the of the farthest north parking lot on Connaught, at the South end of that lot across from Robinsons."

Thats looks like here to me! Connaught Dr, Jasper AB

Municipality of Jasper is looking at dedicating a section of a car park to electric vehicle charging and has a proposal from Tesla to install 8x V3 stalls on the table:

https://www.jasper-alberta.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/821

It appears they want to set aside a dedicated EV charging section and invite multiple EV charging providers to get involved:

"Proposed Jasper location for a Municipally coordinated project in a municipal parking lot is the of the farthest north parking lot on Connaught, at the South end of that lot across from Robinsons."

Thats looks like here to me! Connaught Dr, Jasper AB
I know it’s 2am in Vancouver... but is this for real?
I am legit so hyped about this expansion! Holly crap the possibilities are endless! :D

Edit: Tesla is also installing 4 lvl 2 Plugs (J1772), I assume this is the same kind of station/layout that Tesla is planning to instal in Osoyoos, BC.

Attachments

• 516B6DB1-4491-4CA3-B1C9-30ACB03D834A.png
    516B6DB1-4491-4CA3-B1C9-30ACB03D834A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 390
Last edited:
The Jasper Municipality EV briefing seems really excellent to me. Their plans and offers to anybody for leases through 2035 also seem well thought out. Presenting the Parks Canada deal and showing the plug types is also well-considered since it seems probable that most readers will know little or nothing about EV issues.

Probably there are many other such presentations around, but I have personally seen none so well presented. Now i want to visit Jasper!

I think Tesla missed out big on this one. Back in January 2018, the owner of the Astoria Hotel in Jasper announced that he would be glad to host an 8-stall Supercharger in his hotel parking lot, directly across Connaught Dr. in an area much more frequented by tourist with SO many more dining options.

Tesla may have decided to go with the city in this agreement because they already have an agreement with the Parks, which may have facilitated their obtention of a permit. Anywho, the lot they have gotten from the city is right across from a Robinsons grocery store, and that’s it! The city lot is some 2-3 blocks from the Astoria lot. Although I have walked that stretch last summer, which wasn’t bad, the walk taking some 5 minutes both ways. However, that was in summertime. I can only imagine someone running out of a restaurant wearing winter boots back their car to avoid idle fees. I think high visibility, something Tesla is always aiming for, and in getting a location in front of the Astoria, would make a huge advantage.

Also, referring to what @ItsNotAboutTheMoney just said, I’ll point out that Jasper almost definitely won’t be an isolated location. Tesla’s 2020 map will probably contain the towns of Edson and SRC.
D24F440F-2B19-43D6-83CC-5BD4E8807FF2.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Jasper, AB

Along National Highways: YH/AB-16
Along Provincial Highways (<=8km): None

Yellowhead Highway

To: TCH Near Portage la Prairie, MB - 1594.5 km
Diversion: -0.1 km

To: Edmonton, AB - 370.4km
To: Kamloops, BC (YH/AB-16,BC-5,TCH) - 447.4 km
To: Canmore, AB (AB-93, TCH) - 309.8 km

A Supercharger on the Yellowhead highway.
But, it's rather lonely at this point, so unless Tesla already has some sites we don't know about, it's going to be a bit of a wait.

This is exiting news as we travel from Prince George to Calgary, jasper has always been a fuel up and grab a bite to eat.
Recently we’ve been choosing to bring our gas car so we don’t have to sit for hours in jasper. In the summer hotels are all booked up or over $350 night so for people that don’t live too far away, we just want charge and go.

• Informative
WOW this is great if true, with the completion of the Trans-Canadian route + this = epic Canadian adventures.

I think Tesla missed out big on this one. Tesla may have decided to go with the city in this agreement because they already have an agreement with the Parks, which may have facilitated their obtention of a permit. Anywho, the lot they have gotten from the city is right across from a Robinsons grocery store, and that’s it! The city lot is some 2-3 blocks from the Astoria lot. Although I have walked that stretch last summer, which wasn’t bad, the walk taking some 5 minutes both ways. However, that was in summertime. I can only imagine someone running out of a restaurant wearing winter boots back their car to avoid idle fees. I think high visibility, something Tesla is always aiming for, and in getting a location in front of the Astoria, would make a huge advantage.

Superchargers are meant to be stop and go locations, not overnight points of interest. A lot of the properties in Jasper are not easily accessible from the main road/Icefield parkway. Putting a supercharger near a restaurant or a grab and go POI is much better. Also hotels are notorious for restrictions on supercharging and on numerous occasions I've seen valets block up supercharger stalls or restrict usage. Throw a few destination chargers at the Astoria (if they don't have them already) - that's their purpose.

It's not about status either.. who cares what fancy hotel a supercharger is in front of.

This is pretty exciting - I think it points to a loop at minimum From Edmonton to Jasper and down the parkway, and I think likely over to Highway 5 as well. In my dream it would extend west to Prince George and down Highway 97!
Agreed. Even in summer, I cannot make this in my S70D from Kamloops, Canmore or Edmonton. Looking at PlugShare, there are tons of BC Hydro DCQC stations going in faster than Tesla SCs. I’m hopeful that my “spring” vacation this year will allow me to get farther north than Kamloops, Nelson, or Lake Louise (my previous three trips). It looks like I should schedule an extra week or two.

News of any SpCs in mid-level AB or BC is music to my ears. Jasper can't remain isolated for long, as other posters have mentioned.

Now....getting to more northerly sites...then I'll start dancing a jig.
Elon did say (at an AGM I think) that they plan to extend the SuperCharger Network through the Alaska Highway. I think its obvious that SE Alaska will be connected in the process. I'll make my first journety 'all electric'. :cool:

Cheers!

Do we have anything more than an agenda from a municipal meeting to go on here? For example, do we know if this went to a vote, and if so, the outcome? Is there an actual approved “permit” in force? I’m as enthusiastic as the next guy, but does this seems a bit thin to be considered “permit” phase based on the available info?

I’m super excited by the possibility! Jasper is a special place.