Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Keith SA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0275.JPG
Take care at this one. High kerbing and no wheel chocks make it easy to ground your diffuser.

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
Long time between updates to this thread...

It's been 5 years - the lease for this site is up for renewal!

Just found this: New changes for Keith and Bordertown following meeting

Keith Tesla Supercharger Station complaints addressed

Tatiara Council has entered a period of public consultation in regards to the Tesla Supercharger Station on Heritage Street in Keith leading up to a permit renewal with the car manufacturer. On June 14, Council received formal objection/comment from Trevor Symens about the inconvenience the higher noise and bight lights had through his window and evening procedures. Councillors put forward solutions to the light problem, including changing direction of parking to 60 degrees, but Mr Symen established his preference for a screen. Council resolved that the Road Permit would be approved following solution to the light and noise complaints through Tesla.

I did notice that on Tesla Tom's roadtrip video earlier this year, there was a council sign asking drivers to turn off headlights out of consideration of nearby residents:

It looks like the specific issues are detailed in this council agenda: https://lgasa-web.squiz.cloud/?a=1190250

The re-approval is confirmed in this one: https://lgasa-web.squiz.cloud/?a=1193031

This one is still making news...

Keith man confronts Tesla on noise and light complaints for charging station​

Updated January 30 2023 - 4:35pm, first published 4:30pm

Trevor Symens hopes to soon receive a final conclusion in five-year Tesla concern. Picture by Neave Moore
After five years of concern, Keith local Trevor Symens has received long awaited news and solutions on the intrusive noise and light of the Tesla Supercharger Station.
In 2017, Tatiara District Council leased the land to Tesla to place a supercharger station in a beneficial place for electric car drivers on the Adelaide, Murray Bridge, Horsham and Melbourne route which allows them to charge the vehicle within 40 minutes.

Officially opened in 2018, the Tesla Supercharger Station, located on public land opposite the Heritage Street and Morcom Street intersection in town, Mr Symens has said that the constant hum of the transformer is passable but the occasional high pitched whistle of charging cars has been frustrating.

"It isn't every car, and you can't really hear the noise during the day with road-trains heading along the Dukes (Highway) and other cars in town, but at night when it's quiet.. that's when you can really hear the noise," he said.
In correspondence through Tatiara District Council to Tesla services, Mr Symens's property is to receive double glazing on the front windows and doors to combat bright lights during the night.
"One of the street light illuminates the entire area, which is good for the station and drivers but when a car is plugged in to charge, the headlights come on and shine right through my window," he said.
"I've heard ideas from councillors about talking to Tesla and changing the parking bay to be on a 45 degree angle so the headlights don't shine through, but I think they'll do the double glazing.
"I believe Tesla will be paying for it."

Mr Symens said he had concerns about the station when the space was nominated but has a delayed notice as he is the only resident in that commercial part of Keith and due to that, the council at the time was not required to do an extensive consultation.
Council renewed the lease after five years and since 2017 more charging stations have opened in the area.
"It makes you wonder if they still need to supercharger there," Mr Symens said.
Tatiara District Council Mayor, Liz Goossens said that the council will be working closely with Mr Symens to find a comfortable solution for him.
Councillor Miles Hannemann put forward a motion (without notice) at the January monthly meeting to receive a report on the entire study.

Mr Symens said he hopes the report can help educate new councillors on the exact details of his concern.

I'm probably one of the ones he hates. I am often there at 2-3am every few weeks. I try and turn my lights off before I arrive. However I typically arrive at 5-10% battery and the fan goes off its tits when it ramps up. This guy has blinds already but I notice they are often half open.

"It makes you wonder if they still need to supercharger there," Mr Symens said.

Get f...ed... Yes they do.
Chargefox network is far to unreliable (even more since its acquisition) . Last time a storm passed through there the breakers tripped at chargefox, where as the supercharges handled it like a trooper

What's making this high pitched & very annoying noise ? and does it exceed decibel levels set by environmental regulations Tesla ?

Hi Trevor, your video is not displaying so can’t really answer your question.
If you’re talking about the Keith Tesla Superchargers, the most likely source of noise are cooling fans but sometimes electronics can make strange noises but unlikely loud enough to be heard from across the road.