Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except for San Diego where the 12 slots are almost always full, and most of the time with a waiting line of 20 to 40 minutes. This is why I charge at home, it is cheaper.

Did a San Diego to Sacramento round trip this weekend and stopped at Kettleman City each way, Friday at 8:55 am. and Sunday at 2:42 am. This morning there was only one other car charging, with the couple inside sleeping. Before I left I thought of waking them just in case, but decided to let them sleep. Anyway I took photos of the screen.
@
Except for San Diego where the 12 slots are almost always full, and most of the time with a waiting line of 20 to 40 minutes. This is why I charge at home, it is cheaper.

Did a San Diego to Sacramento round trip this weekend and stopped at Kettleman City each way, Friday at 8:55 am. and Sunday at 2:42 am. This morning there was only one other car charging, with the couple inside sleeping. Before I left I thought of waking them just in case, but decided to let them sleep. Anyway I took photos of the screen.

Thank you for sharing the Kettleman status board! It would be nice if Tesla would share that screen online. At the San Diego SC this morning, it was empty just before 5 am and completely full (12stalls) when I unplugged at 6:15 am. Even if Tesla doubled the number stalls to 24, it would be still be full through 11pm.

It interesting that that Mountain View SC used to be in the top 3 utilized SC sites but has dropped in the last month with the opening of the Sunnyvale location.

Offering that kind of service at a Supercharger location works fine at a place like Kettleman City since there is staff there who can regularly change the water and make sure the squeegee is there.

But at all the other Superchargers where there is no onsite staff or water source it would not make sense for Tesla to offer that.

Simple solution: when I am on a long distance trip I carry my own glass cleaner and squeegee.

Offering that kind of service at a Supercharger location works fine at a place like Kettleman City since there is staff there who can regularly change the water and make sure the squeegee is there.

But at all the other Superchargers where there is no onsite staff or water source it would not make sense for Tesla to offer that.

Simple solution: when I am on a long distance trip I carry my own glass cleaner and squeegee.
I've always carried my own squeegee and glass cleaner. It gives me something to do when waiting at some of the not-so-exciting Supercharging locations.

I usually carry my own on long trips as well.

They could easily implement this at all locations that have SvCs.

To solve the no on site staff problem elsewhere they could have mobile service car with a tank of water to service the SCs in their area. Or maybe the sponsoring business owners would be willing to maintain it themself.

(Only drifting way off topic)

Reactions: Graffi
From 4-7-18:

IMG_20180407_131403330_HDR_zpsdner0lmt.jpg

IMG_20180407_124210014_zpsisijhjm4.jpg
Am I missing something? We don't have a supercharger in Santa Ana, CA.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
If anyone is curious, Centralia, WA has had the squeegee there as long as I can remember. It's not at a gas station, but the property owner provides and maintains it which is quite nice of him. The article also mentioned the gas station location in Missouri that provides one near the supercharger. While it probably isn't realistic to have a squeegee at every single supercharger, it would be nice if the gas station locations (such as all the truck stops, Sheetz and Wawas) would provide one near the supercharger. It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult. A garbage can would also be nice.

Lastly at the risk of being off-topic, the supercharger at the new Eddie World in Yermo, CA has FREE air pumps for your tires at the end of every gas station island. I suppose it would have been nice if they put one next to one of the supercharger stalls, but having many high quality air pumps FREE of charge was a nice touch. While I don't really mind paying a buck for such a service, the pay pumps tend to break or be out of order more often than not so I'm always happy to find one that is FREE.

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
While I don't really mind paying a buck for such a service, the pay pumps tend to break or be out of order more often than not so I'm always happy to find one that is FREE.

Well, mine isn't FREE, but I have a squeegee and a spray bottle with distilled (non-spotting) water in my trunk alla time. I also have an air pressure guage, and actually check my tires every several months, as in my experience they don't lose air, and the car measures air pressure, but I also have a non-FREE air pump in my garage. If these items are of such importance that it makes one giddy to find one FREE, the water is almost free, and I use the air pump for all kinds of other things, like bringing up the pressure in my 10 year old's basketball last week. And my pump hasn't broken in years. Sometimes free things aren't worth the cost. And I don't have to drive across town to use it.

I had 83K miles on my 90D, too!

Reactions: dgpcolorado
They were sleeping in the lounge
That explains it a bit. From what you said, it was pretty clear to everyone that they were sleeping in the car:
This morning there was only one other car charging, with the couple inside sleeping. Before I left I thought of waking them just in case, but decided to let them sleep.
In case of what? That they may miss their flight? In case they were really not asleep, but actually both dead?

• Funny
Reactions: commasign
I rarely sleep in my car, but can't imagine how pissed I would be if some stranger woke me up for no reason.

Or even with a "reason" you would be pissed...

I had a guy wake me up in the middle of the night as I was sleeping in the back of my S and charging at a 50amp plug on my 48 state road trip when there were only 185 SCs. He somehow thought he deserved the plug more than I even though I was there first.... Somehow I was groggy and not clearly thinking and actually let him talk me into using it for 4 hours... Horrible as I barely slept after that... I should have told him to find his own charger. Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3 and McManX
I visited Kettleman for the first time on Sunday. What a pleasant experience! The barista was super friendly, as were most of the customers, many of whom were wearing Tesla gear, and not even purchased there. Speaking of, their prices ($35 for a T-shirt) are a little ridiculous, especially since it's free advertising for Tesla.

I took a look at the screen there, like they used to have at Hawthorne years ago. Sunday morning at 10am, 8 out of the top 10 sites belonged to California. After all these years, I don't know why they don't allow us access to that screen on-line.

Reactions: McManX