Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience (and some signage I have seen) is that you are supposed to use the handicap ones last unless you are handicapped, leaving it free until the last possible use for regular users.

Might not be up to Tesla. Most municipalities require a percentage of spaces be designated as handicapped. If that’s the case here, then the local authorities are responsible for enforcement which means it’s never okay to park in a handicapped spot.

My experience (and some signage I have seen) is that you are supposed to use the handicap ones last unless you are handicapped, leaving it free until the last possible use for regular users.
You’re from California, your experience was wrong
It is against the law to park in a handicap spot without the appropriate permission from dmv.

What you’re describing is the handicap stall bathroom rule, where you use every other stall but the handicap one unless they’re all taken

• Informative
Reactions: Owner and Dave EV
So does that mean only cars with handicapped permits can use them?

By the letter of the law that would seem to be true. I'm sure it has to do with state laws requiring accessible spots close to the building entrance. I can recall at least one other supercharger (Manteca) where one of the spots is marked handicap, but I doubt it's ever enforced.

You’re from California, your experience was wrong
It is against the law to park in a handicap spot without the appropriate permission from dmv.

What you’re describing is the handicap stall bathroom rule, where you use every other stall but the handicap one unless they’re all taken
This was taken in NV. Perhaps that state's rules are different or maybe Tesla has not added the additional signage or ...

upload_2017-11-16_10-13-57.png

California has laws about a minimum amount/percentage of handicapped parking at a parking lot/structure. Even private businesses that have their own parking need to provide that. I guess Tesla was required to have those two spots marked as handicapped. Not sure why they would decide to put the HPWC there. An interesting questions would be weather a Supercharger spot counts as a parking spot, though. The spot next to the gas pump isn't a parking spot either.

This was taken in NV. Perhaps that state's rules are different or maybe Tesla has not added the additional signage or ...

View attachment 260676
I stand corrected and confused
That’ll make for an interesting fight in court, because from what I know it is against the law to park in a handicap without appropriate placard.
And being told you can do something illegal by someone else is not going to make for a good court argument.

I guess Tesla was required to have those two spots marked as handicapped. Not sure why they would decide to put the HPWC there.
I think that part makes perfect sense. So they have to have two of the spaces be handicapped ones. They wouldn't want to put those in front of two of the Supercharger spaces, right? Then those pieces of expensive Supercharger equipment are not able to be used almost all of the time. That would be a terrible waste. So do they put them out there with nothing at all? Well, wall connectors are relatively cheap compared to the rest of the site, so it doesn't hurt to put something there. And in a couple years, if this place is starting to get more full, and a handicapped driver has to wait at those spots for a Supercharger stall to open up, they can get some charge while they wait.