Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - King of Prussia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where else would have been a better location for this supercharger? KoP is a major intersection and would serve many routes. If the Supercharger expansion is an indication there will be other Superchargers built nearby, one already planned, most likely at the Plymouth Meeting Mall. Keep in mind Tesla is likely looking for hosts that would pitch in for the upkeep and power.

Also with Supercharging now a paid affair it is no longer just for long distance driving.

Last edited:
Where else would have been a better location for this supercharger? KoP is a major intersection and would serve many routes.

KOP is a BIG mall. Shoppers are not going to be able to walk to the far side of the mall before their car is charged.

So what does that mean for someone from said major interchange who is looking for a charge and restroom break, only to find little if any spots open? Also, unless the spot picked is far enough away from the mall entrance, it will most likely be ICE'd. Also, after hours there is no available restroom, making this location even less desirable for travelers. Shoppers would be better served from the existing HPWC's, IMHO.

As has been mentioned up-thread, Wegman's is a much better location, given they are open 24/7.

I like that Tesla has a dual supercharger strategy. Where some superchargers are at very good locations for traveling, but have nothing to do while charging, while others are at locations like this where they are difficult to get to, but there is a lot to do while you're waiting to charge.

If you're traveling east-west and don't want to deal with the mall you can always stop at Carlisle or Burlington. North-South you can stop at Allentown or Newark.

Hopefully eventually Tesla will build another one nearby, similar to what they are doing in NJ at woodbridge/Edison.

What percentage of Superchargers have covered parking? I've only been to 1 (Laurel) and it was a PITA with the high traffic in that hole in the wall location.

Sitting in the elements for 30 minutes or less on a road trip, with the heat on BTW, should be a non issue.

Reactions: Xenius
If you can get to the stalls plowed in with snow. The percentage does not matter, the station that you need to use to keep going does. Remember, the cords are very short, need to be able to get very close to the stalls. I've had my fair share of plowed in and damaged charging stations to appreciate a roof over them.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F and madodel
Well, the point RE percentage is, if you need n number of stops to charge, and only one is covered during snow events, that one covered location isn't going to help you as you'll not get there from your last plowed in charger, or will be SOL at the one after that one covered location if it's plowed in.

Your point is well taken though, but meaningless unless they're all covered, which we know they're not.

Perhaps a folding snow shovel in the frunk is in order ;)

Reactions: vdiv
Oh, a shovel is a must-have. Also consider having traction pads and snow chains.
As far as the percentage, lots of Superchargers are located in warm climates where snow is rarely an issue if at all, they would skew the result :) Even there just a canopy to shield from the hot sun helps quite a bit.
(ok, i admit it, i may be a descendant from cavemen ;) )

Superchargers at KoP will be helpful to some locals with long driveways. I prefer not to pay a big gas truck to plow my 500' driveway, but it can be a bit much to manage when we get over a foot of snow. Electric snowblowers have improved, but not enough yet to reliably handle a big job. Also, if I'm away on business travel, my wife isn't going to run the blower herself.

I'm looking forward to being able to leave our AWD Tesla at the end of the driveway, and initially just clear a walking path to it. If I have the option to run down to KoP for a quick charge before I get the driveway passable, that's a nice backup plan, since running an extension cord hundreds of feet to the Tesla isn't a great solution... and might not even work at all.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
KOP is a BIG mall. Shoppers are not going to be able to walk to the far side of the mall before their car is charged.

So what does that mean for someone from said major interchange who is looking for a charge and restroom break, only to find little if any spots open? Also, unless the spot picked is far enough away from the mall entrance, it will most likely be ICE'd. Also, after hours there is no available restroom, making this location even less desirable for travelers. Shoppers would be better served from the existing HPWC's, IMHO.

As has been mentioned up-thread, Wegman's is a much better location, given they are open 24/7.

I assume these are going to be the 72kW urban superchargers.

I assume these are going to be the 72kW urban superchargers.

The ones already at the mall are Blink AC 6kW J1772 public chargers. I’m talking about the new Tesla DC urban superchargers that are 72kW instead of 135kW like the highway superchargers.

These:
Supercharging Cities

On my past two visits I have used Tesla chargers in the underground parking garage at the KOP mall. It is the parking area near a restaurant my wife and I enjoy: Seasons 52

Yes, there are Blink chargers for all EVs to use but I use the Tesla only chargers in the parking garage. The BLUE dot.

upload_2017-12-10_10-56-29-png.266031

Reactions: madodel
FYI, some Tesla employees have actually found out about this location from this thread, and are quite happy about it. Turns out that the KoP location will help Tesla employees when they need to test the supercharging capability of a car, closest thing to KoP is Newark, DE, bit of a pain for them.

So R if you're reading, enjoyed our chat the other evening. Cheers.

FYI, some Tesla employees have actually found out about this location from this thread, and are quite happy about it. Turns out that the KoP location will help Tesla employees when they need to test the supercharging capability of a car, closest thing to KoP is Newark, DE, bit of a pain for them.

So R if you're reading, enjoyed our chat the other evening. Cheers.

Who pays the idle fees when a demo car sits at a supercharger spot? :p

I haven't been to the Tesla store mall location in a few years. Do they have techs or even staff there to do this now? The few times I was there, there was one Tesla employee there. I would have thought a better location for testing supercharger ability would be in the service center in Devon.