Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - King of Prussia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt its Simon holding it up. There are a number of other Simon properties that have superchargers so they know the value of them. In addition if it was Simon, Tesla would just put it somewhere else nearby. It maybe PECO, although the upcoming Bensalem supercharger is PECO territory so that theory doesn't hold either.

My guess would be that Tesla has just had a number of false starts that ran into the typical issues with permits or lease holders killing each site after it was in work for a number of months.

Hopefully they will get something worked out soon.
Townships are known for holding things up as well. Yeah the green garage 220 volt plugs get used up quickly and I believe mostly by the Tesla store inside mall.

I'm actually not sure that a large mall is a great fit for a supercharger, unless it just has unused parking lot space it wants to monetize (assuming Tesla even pays rent).

It seems like a convenience store or grocery store is a much better fit. Charging is a 20-40min stop. You don't want the charger to be super-close to the front of the lot otherwise it gets ICEd, so for something like KoP you'd spend half your charging time walking to/from the entrance, and what are you going to do in a mall for 10-20min?

For a grocery store the lot is much smaller, and you can just run in and get snacks/etc.

There just isn't the same synergy for a mall, so while it costs something to set up and maintain, it doesn't actually generate much business. Unless somebody wants to charge for 20min and wait in the car, then go re-park and shop.

I'm actually not sure that a large mall is a great fit for a supercharger, unless it just has unused parking lot space it wants to monetize (assuming Tesla even pays rent).

It seems like a convenience store or grocery store is a much better fit. Charging is a 20-40min stop. You don't want the charger to be super-close to the front of the lot otherwise it gets ICEd, so for something like KoP you'd spend half your charging time walking to/from the entrance, and what are you going to do in a mall for 10-20min?

For a grocery store the lot is much smaller, and you can just run in and get snacks/etc.

There just isn't the same synergy for a mall, so while it costs something to set up and maintain, it doesn't actually generate much business. Unless somebody wants to charge for 20min and wait in the car, then go re-park and shop.
We shopped and ate while at the Albany NY SC at the mall. It was super tight and not many spots but it worked out well. For us at least.

The Supercharger at the Crossings in Tannersville works out well. They placed it in a location near the entrance but in an area that almost no one would normally park since it is behind a block of stores. On the rare occasions I charge there I can grab something to eat or shop at a close by store and easily walk back to my X when it is done charging. But it isn't possible to walk to stores far away from the entrance and actually shop without charging completing and having to move my Tesla. It's a tradeoff, but I think most charge there not to shop but because they are traveling long distance and just need a charge.

At the KofP mall, I'd recommend adding additional Tesla destination chargers if possible. Pictured below. As a busy location at times, prb need to add significant idle charges (if possible on Destination). Cars tend to stay parked for long periods at the slow charge rates. However, they can come in handy in a pinch.

I agree a Supercharger should prb be in another area (new shops near Wegmans or CHOP)

IMG_2706_Fotor.jpg

As a busy location at times, prb need to add significant idle charges (if possible on Destination). Cars tend to stay parked for long periods at the slow charge rates.

I just assume any destination charger that is free simply doesn't exist. There will always be somebody plugged in because they just made a 2 mile drive and they want their 5 cents of free electricity. Obviously if I'm on a trip and the destination charger would save me from supercharging I'll take advantage of an open slot, but I never plan on having access to a free charger.

I mean, free is nice and all, but having an available charger is far more important, and if I really would benefit I'm almost always willing to pay above-market rates for the power. Just charge 20c/kWh or whatever so that people only use it if home charging isn't an option, but it isn't highway robbery either.

Reactions: gavine
I just assume any destination charger that is free simply doesn't exist. There will always be somebody plugged in because they just made a 2 mile drive and they want their 5 cents of free electricity. Obviously if I'm on a trip and the destination charger would save me from supercharging I'll take advantage of an open slot, but I never plan on having access to a free charger.

I mean, free is nice and all, but having an available charger is far more important, and if I really would benefit I'm almost always willing to pay above-market rates for the power. Just charge 20c/kWh or whatever so that people only use it if home charging isn't an option, but it isn't highway robbery either.
Tyson's Galleria, a fancy mall in NoVA has 12 Volta charging stations, all free to use. Most are usually occupied by Model 3s.

You beat me to the comment on Tyson’s Galleria...8 glorious HPWC’s!!!

it was so wonderful, I even took a picture

***Picture Not of King of Prussia (but they should take the hint)***

Attachments

• 5919514F-F26C-4872-9A89-050633F74B66.jpeg
    5919514F-F26C-4872-9A89-050633F74B66.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 89

yes, that's nice. Isn't KingofPrussia the second largest mall in the country? The volume alone, the Tesla Store inside should merit something special. Great way to advertise.

Reactions: Felickz

That's Tyson's Corner that has the load-sharing HPWCs, a separate mall across the street, managed by a separate company (Lerner and Macerich respectively)

Anyway, let's not rub salt in the wound, though Electrify America already did that at KoP, installing a six stall station, shooting down all arguments why the mall can't have a Tesla supercharger.

I just sent a note to the Upper Merion board of supervisors to see if they can provide any status updates or other info.. or help kick this along. I pointed out that as of today the permit has been open for 767 days, and that PECO at least claims they're not the holdup.

Reactions: Felickz
The idea of supercharging I think was two fold, One, to enable you to drive your electric (Tesla ) on a long trip. Two, to make that trip, the charging part reasonable. Back in 2014 we paid $2,500.00 to help the supercharging network develop it was sold as free travel. We should be looking to create the gas station type of charging locations. A place where you can pull in and charge your car at a reasonably fast rate at a fair price and be able to sit down and have a cup of coffee. That has to be created by private industry. I do believe there is one location in Maryland that has that type of charging location.

95% of my charging is done at home, the other 5% is mostly along I95. I am looking forward to the ( CSS ) chargers coming on board.
My hope is that this will open up more of the out of the way travel locations. There is one thing that has to happen THAT IS WE PAY FOR THE ELECTRIC THAT WE USE every time we charge up. As long as we look for that FREE charge, the idea of paying for your fuel (electricity) will be kicked down the road for a couple of more years..