Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Little Rock, AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the drive home I'm worried about. If I have to drive around LR during the day, I need enough to get back home.

Any update on Little Rock SC? Any permits applied for?

I've been driving our Model X 75D between Hot Springs and Little Rock for the past several weeks. Either route via Highway 70 or 270 to I-30 and then north to Little Rock runs right at 300 W/mi. Starting with 90% charge when leaving Hot Springs, I still have plenty of battery when getting home. Unless you're doing a lot of extra driving in and around Little Rock daily, you'll be fine.

I've been driving our Model X 75D between Hot Springs and Little Rock for the past several weeks. Either route via Highway 70 or 270 to I-30 and then north to Little Rock runs right at 300 W/mi. Starting with 90% charge when leaving Hot Springs, I still have plenty of battery when getting home. Unless you're doing a lot of extra driving in and around Little Rock daily, you'll be fine.

Thanks Alderct. That is good to know. Which route have you noticed has the least traffic?
It seems when I've been on 70 it was more heavily monitored by LEO for speed.
I guess AP would work better on on the 270-I30 route.

Thanks Alderct. That is good to know. Which route have you noticed has the least traffic?
It seems when I've been on 70 it was more heavily monitored by LEO for speed.
I guess AP would work better on on the 270-I30 route.

There's generally more traffic on 70. Highway department just began the expansion project on Hwy 70. It's mostly clearing trees now, but I imagine it will be a nightmare once the real work is underway. The variety of stoplights and slowdowns on 270 isn't optimal for Autopilot, but you spend more time on I-30, for which it works great. Given the choice, I go 270.

There's generally more traffic on 70. Highway department just began the expansion project on Hwy 70. It's mostly clearing trees now, but I imagine it will be a nightmare once the real work is underway. The variety of stoplights and slowdowns on 270 isn't optimal for Autopilot, but you spend more time on I-30, for which it works great. Given the choice, I go 270.

Thanks. 270 it is

I'm confused - Is there a SC under construction in LIT?. Please see my email to Tesla yesterday and their response today.

My email:
Was trying to plan a trip from Dallas to Memphis but the distance from Texarkana to Memphis looks like it will exceed the range of my S75. Is Tesla going to add a Supercharger soon in Little Rock? Thanks.

Tesla response:
Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Vehicle Support.

Currently we do not have any knowledge of any plans for a Supercharger in Little Rock AR. However, I do believe that Little Rock AR would be a great suggestion for an ideal site. I have provided a link to a form that will give you the ability to suggest Little Rock as a future site for Supercharging and will go directly to our Supercharger Development Team.

Supercharging

I'm confused - Is there a SC under construction in LIT?. Please see my email to Tesla yesterday and their response today.

My email:
Was trying to plan a trip from Dallas to Memphis but the distance from Texarkana to Memphis looks like it will exceed the range of my S75. Is Tesla going to add a Supercharger soon in Little Rock? Thanks.

Tesla response:
Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Vehicle Support.

Currently we do not have any knowledge of any plans for a Supercharger in Little Rock AR. However, I do believe that Little Rock AR would be a great suggestion for an ideal site. I have provided a link to a form that will give you the ability to suggest Little Rock as a future site for Supercharging and will go directly to our Supercharger Development Team.

Supercharging
Don't know if suggestions to the Supercharger Development Team have much effect. I provided them with contact information about the McCain Mall at 3929 McCain Blvd., North Little Rock. Perhaps if others support this location and contact the Development Team it might be helpful.

Ok - so the post that follows from another thread on this web site is not true?
Their SC map doesn't show anything under construction.

Date: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM
To: Ray Smith <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Superchargers in Arkansas

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your email. We are in the final stages on construction for our Little Rock Supercharger Station, and we are certainly committed to establishing the network throughout the state. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers, especially in Arkansas, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

If you have specific property suggestions elsewhere in Arkansas, please submit the information directly to our Developer Team here. We use precise energy modeling to determine areas that are candidates for Superchargers and will reach out to you or the property owner via email if the site fits well with our route plan.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements; we appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

Don't know if suggestions to the Supercharger Development Team have much effect. I provided them with contact information about the McCain Mall at 3929 McCain Blvd., North Little Rock. Perhaps if others support this location and contact the Development Team it might be helpful.
McCain Mall is an ideal location for those who need to travel as it is close to the 430/30 and the 430/167 interchanges. Another option is Lakewood Village, which has a number of restaurants, including Olive Garden, which IIRC, is where the one in Texarkana is.

So they either got LR confused with Texarkana or they are waiting on the law being changed in Arkansas to allow "non-utilities" to sell electricity or they are in the process of permitting and no one knows.

Could be since Arkansas isn't listed in the rate schedule for Supercharging... (Or they just don't add it until they actually open one.)

So they either got LR confused with Texarkana or they are waiting on the law being changed in Arkansas to allow "non-utilities" to sell electricity or they are in the process of permitting and no one knows.
They must have gotten Little Rock confused with Texarkana.
Ok - so the post that follows from another thread on this web site is not true?
Their SC map doesn't show anything under construction.

Date: Friday, December 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM
To: Ray Smith
Subject: RE: Superchargers in Arkansas

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your email. We are in the final stages on construction for our Little Rock Supercharger Station, and we are certainly committed to establishing the network throughout the state. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site, so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers, especially in Arkansas, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

The Tesla Supercharger Team

Tesla definitely got Texarkana confused with Little Rock when they responded telling me that the LR SC was almost complete. To get to Memphis from Austin, TX, I have to go through Jackson, MS to be able to use Superchargers and not have to stay in a hotel in Little Rock.

Hopefully Tesla will be able to work with the Arkansas political machine to get a SC in LR soon.

Ray Smith (AKA - S85D)

I just wish Tesla was transparent as to why they haven't moved forward with a SC in LR (or Arkansas in general). If it's a matter of there being just over 300 EVs in the state, I can get that. If it's a legal hurdle, I get that as well. At this point, it just seems odds to leave that hole in the map.

I reached out to Sen. Bledsoe last week to see if she might share her reasons for filing the bill. She represents Benton county in Northwest Arkansas, which has a higher rate for EV adoption than most of the state. Fingers crossed this is what is keeping Tesla from moving forward.

I just wish Tesla was transparent as to why they haven't moved forward with a SC in LR (or Arkansas in general). If it's a matter of there being just over 300 EVs in the state, I can get that. If it's a legal hurdle, I get that as well. At this point, it just seems odds to leave that hole in the map.

I reached out to Sen. Bledsoe last week to see if she might share her reasons for filing the bill. She represents Benton county in Northwest Arkansas, which has a higher rate for EV adoption than most of the state. Fingers crossed this is what is keeping Tesla from moving forward.

Please let us know if she responds.
I hope this is the hold-up with Tesla on SC's. Once Asa signs, I hope Tesla accelerates SC build-out in AR.

Not having read the old law, I can't tell if this bill facilitates or blocks the installation of EV charging stations throughout the state. They're clearly defining companies that own and allow use of EV charging stations, thereby providing electricity to the public, as NOT public utilities.

Anyone know if being NOT a public utility is a good or bad thing?

Not having read the old law, I can't tell if this bill facilitates or blocks the installation of EV charging stations throughout the state. They're clearly defining companies that own and allow use of EV charging stations, thereby providing electricity to the public, as NOT public utilities.

Anyone know if being NOT a public utility is a good or bad thing?
IANAL, but it essentially says, regarding facilities which purchase electric power for purposes of EV charging:

"This long, ugly-looking Title 23 in the Arkansas Code about "Public Utilities and Regulated Industries"? You can stop reading... it doesn't apply to you any more"

Reactions: alderct and CSFTN