Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks to @wk057 for making the charging data available and to @wolfson292 for getting it on a map, even if only for a little while. Also thanks to @wk057 for the update and thoughts.

Bruce.

PS. I sent a note to Tesla (to ServiceHelpNA, not any specific person) politely requesting that the charging data be made public in a supported fashion (as well as the API used for the mobile apps). Probably that note will get sent to the bitbucket, but who knows...it can't hurt and maybe if enough people ask (again, politely)...???...

Interesting. So I guess that is why Tesla doesn't count sleeping stalls?

The simple work around of course is to have stalls report status on every connect/disconnect. That way even if a stall enters sleep and a vehicle is in the "connect" state the last reported status will still reflect that.

Tesla could just count the stall as occupied until it registers the actual disconnect from the cabling (charging or not does not matter, the stall is occupied). that could improve the accuracy of the data shown onscreen. Unless of course they intend on indicating which stalls are and aren't charging and shaming, embarrassing those that squat in a charging stall after it has completed.

I've made a gentleman's agreement to discontinue my private API with the real-time and historical supercharger data.

Thank you again for this brief experiment. As a southern Cal owner, it provided confirmation of how popular daily Tesla supercharging is in our largest CA cities. Nowhere else came close to these usage levels in my observations. Three cheers!!!

Reactions: pilotSteve
It does make sense that Tesla wants to control that information, and how it's used. But, it's still a bummer.

I think this is probably want it comes down to - control. I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Tesla come out with their own web/mobile interface that duplicates the functionality by @wolfson292 . I bet they were uneasy about the prospect of @wk057 exposing the API to a whole slew of users that wanted access. Not that I disagreed with that approach at all.

Well, at least that brief experimental site shows what we in CA had thought. Even though we have high density of SC sites, we also need a lot more! And frankly, it's been like that for 4 years. I wonder why Tesla has consistently under served their biggest market?

I wonder why Tesla has consistently under served their biggest market?
I'm guessing it's a multifaceted answer. First, map coverage is an important piece of the marketing puzzle, and Supercharger infrastructure was written down as a marketing expense. At least in some nontrivial amount, it was. Second, buildouts aren't simple, especially in California metro areas. You have to balance long distance transport with local charging. And in the same vein, maybe they knew something about the usage at those chargers, and suspected that a policy change would help.

I don't know if any of that is right, but I'm doubtful it was just willful ignorance on Tesla's part.

Reactions: pilotSteve
@Cosmacelf, I can think of 2 reasons:
1) California is underserved, because Tesla can. The market gets two subsidies, both federal and state, so Tesla has to work less hard to make a sale in California as in other states -- thus, to attract non-cal buyers, Tesla has to make a more attractive Supercharger network outside California, or rebate car sales outside the state.
2) Tesla has long modeled 10% Supercharger use, as compared to charging at home or at work. For a typical driver that is 1,500 miles of supercharging or about 5-10 hours of charging depending on if you recharge at 300 MPH or 150 MPH. If each charger stall is to support 100 cars, then that charger stall should be in actual use charging for up to 1,000 hours annually. Many people work some 2,000 hours in a year, so if you figure, business hours are the times people charge, then, an average California stall will see about 4 hours of use (assuming at least 150 MPH rates, and no worse than 1 stall per car).

Reactions: David99
Read first, then post.

After seeing today the data are missing from the map on my S's touchscreen I read through the last few days' of this thread and I don't see an explanation.

It was on my map yesterday. Data were incorrect so I rang Tesla and reported that. Then this morning I don't see the data on the map for any of the superchargers in my area (Utah).

After seeing today the data are missing from the map on my S's touchscreen I read through the last few days' of this thread and I don't see an explanation.

It was on my map yesterday. Data were incorrect so I rang Tesla and reported that. Then this morning I don't see the data on the map for any of the superchargers in my area (Utah).

Sorry, my bad. This thread had morphed into a discussion of the nationwide solution that was a website with a map showing all of the Superchargers and their status, not just the ones near your car. That system was shut down by the developers last night, and that is what I thought you were talking about.

I don't know that anyone has reported that the map in the car is no longer showing Supercharger status. I will go check it now...

EDIT: you are correct. The Supercharger status is no longer on the Nav map in the car.

Last edited: