Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Locations UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect service centres and retail locations to have Type 2 chargers onsite, which they'll probably make available to owners, but I doubt in general we'll see superchargers in those locations. That's not what's happened anywhere else.

Superchargers only make sense when located at sites on significant motorway areas thereby assisting people who really are doing 500 mile journeys. There no point in having some thumping great 130kw / 20 minute supercharger one some rural country beauty spot ! The rest of the time you rely upon an EV being topped up over night at home/hotel/office etc.

- - - Updated - - -

wouldnt you expect service centers to give your car back fully charged, if they only have 7kw thats a long time to charge up cars

They have always returned my car charged up. The London service centre has a few wall mounted 15kw chargers and there is always one or more cars left plugged in.

Last edited:
I'd expect them to have 22kW Type 2 chargers which in most cases will top up a dual charger Model S in a couple of hours or less (4 hours or less for single charger cars). I doubt they get many cars brought in with 0 miles remaining, and I doubt they'll range charge them either.

First Tesla UK Supercharger appears to be at South Mimms motorway services on London’s orbital M25 motorway. Vehicles arriving June 7th if all goes to schedule.

IMG_1672-580x435.jpg

Yep that photo was taken back in mid-April (though I believe nothing has changed at the site since; they still haven't put the final cabinets in). There's been no official announcement direct from Tesla but last weekend's Sunday Times had a feature on the Supercharger network that stated South Mimms was the first. The supercharger map on Tesla's site has also been updated and shows 8 superchargers in the UK by Winter 2014.

The official UK launch event is 7 June. Some very early reservation holders have been told "week commencing 2 June" for delivery of their cars, so may get them even sooner. I won't get mine until the start of July :-(

"Exciting" doesn't cover it...

Interesting, slightly awkward spot for the Motorways either side (M5 then M40/M42 onto M6 other side) it is right in the middle of both really, but great they are appearing now.

I am based just 40 minutes south from Hopwood so handy, would like to see a south of Oxford on the M40 option later. Ecotricity have there at the M40/Jnc8a services mind.

Thinking how often would people, in the UK, need the Supercharger stations in reality? Most of our journeys are fairly short, or a regular run to the same place most days, so would we be relying mostly on home and work/friends/relatives for our charging?

I have a 32amp home charger installed already I wonder, if like WiFi, we could open our chargers to those who need them if it fits the route being taken?

A lot of natural growing and understanding will only be achieved by high use

Item from the Observer newspaper today.

Five "super-charging" stations, which Musk claims will allow Tesla's British customers a drive of up to 300 miles, are reportedly being set up outside London, on the south coast, and near Bath, Birmingham and Manchester. Tesla executives are claiming that they will help cure any remaining "range anxiety" that is preventing drivers from abandoning their petrol cars.

We have heard about South Mimms and near Birmingham so Bath, Manchester and 'South Coast' ones to find.

Hopwood Park SC M42 Junct 2

View attachment 50391

I am not 100% convinced yet that these are SuperChargers... But I hope they are :)

i did not see any picture showing the chargerboxes, and the very little bit of the right stall that can be seen at the bottom of the cover is not white as the typical SC stalls are.

Has noone peeked under these covers yet ? How can you all resist ? :)

I really think it's pretty much certain that that is a second supercharger site.

Tesla have confirmed South Mimms and these look 100% identical to the units there (which are also unfinished under the white covers).
They are clearly EV charge points given the markings on the road, but they're separate from the existing Ecotricity points which are on the other side of the entrance, and they are not the right size/shape to be additional Ecotricity points (which are not as slim). And nobody except Tesla and Ecotricity are installing charge points at sites like these. Also Ecotricity's installs have one charge point cabinet with 2 cables on it providing service for 2 spaces, whereas Tesla put in one Supercharger cabinet per parking space as is shown here. And they are located so that they will be near to the rear left of a reverse-parked vehicle which is correct for the location of a Model S charge port.
Tesla have released an updated map of planned supercharger locations for the UK by Winter 2014, and one of those is in the vicinity of Hopwood Park.
This location (along with South Mimms) is at a motorway service station where a single site is accessed by travellers in both directions (which is unusual; most service stations in UK are split, with two completely independent facilities, one serving each carriageway). Sites like these are going to be preferred for Superchargers since a single install will work for people going in either direction along the Motorway.

Has noone peeked under these covers yet ? How can you all resist ? :)

It's called "Tesla Time". People on this site are experts in delayed gratification. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway with an SC you won't need to be there 2 hours :biggrin:

Providing that there isn't a large queue - which at certain times of the holiday seasons, there may be. Hence my concern.

Would owners in that situation have to indicate their intention to charge to avoid a parking charge/cost? More of an issue for Gen 3 really. If you can afford a MS, the odd £25 isn't really a problem - other than the fact that it undermines the Supercharging-is-free-for-Model-S standard.

Maybe Tesla can negotiate an all-you-can-use-free-parking deal.

Last edited:
I would imagine if there are regular queuing issues the amount of bays will be increased. However that would still take time leaving people waiting in the lurch.

I know that most of the service stations do the 2hour parking thing because there were lots of problems with colleagues meeting at service stations in 4+ cars, and carpooling in one to work wherever that may be. I'm not sure how strict it is. If it is ANPR however then of course there is an issue.