Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lowell, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fences are down, site cleaned up a bit and equipment consolidated. Still no sign of the new pole or transformer. It's possible the crew is working down in Foxborough and will return at some point when the time is right to finish up. Interesting that there are no signs on the bollards - perhaps they won't have them here, or perhaps they just haven't been added yet.
IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_2105.jpeg
IMG_2107.jpeg

Fences are down, site cleaned up a bit and equipment consolidated. Still no sign of the new pole or transformer. It's possible the crew is working down in Foxborough and will return at some point when the time is right to finish up. Interesting that there are no signs on the bollards - perhaps they won't have them here, or perhaps they just haven't been added yet.
View attachment 968625View attachment 968626View attachment 968627
It also doesn't show up on the map/website as a supercharger site coming soon. Wonder what the threshold is for it to show up there.

It's unclear when//how Tesla selects to promote a location as "coming soon" on their findus map these days. It used to be a good indicator as to where they were looking and committed to site builds. These days, most work is done without ever showing up on the findus page as coming soon, and only appears when commissioned. It's possible that a coming soon location on findus might be related to Tesla initiated builds (to fill in gaps or add capacity in saturated areas for example) while those not called out as coming soon could be site host initiated builds. But I'm not sure the known permitted, current and recent builds would necessarily align with that.

Reactions: kayak1 and Chewy13
Looks unchanged from 8/27 - thanks for checking. I presume the holdup at this site is the utility bringing in power, but there could be other issues too. Last check there was no sign of a new pole which is expected to be placed somewhere near the enclosed dumpster at the end of the now paved primary trench.

In addition to this project in Lowell, Gordon has supercharger sites under construction in Framingham MA (actively being finished up), Portsmouth RI (done awaiting utilities), Southington CT (mostly done), Provincetown MA (actively under construction? haven't had an update in a bit) and Foxborough MA (Tesla equipment onsite - not yet started as of Sunday 9/17). It's always possible there might be another project out there underway that we aren't aware of too.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1 and Chewy13
Looks unchanged from 8/27 - thanks for checking. I presume the holdup at this site is the utility bringing in power, but there could be other issues too. Last check there was no sign of a new pole which is expected to be placed somewhere near the enclosed dumpster at the end of the now paved primary trench.

In addition to this project in Lowell, Gordon has supercharger sites under construction in Framingham MA (actively being finished up), Portsmouth RI (done awaiting utilities), Provincetown MA (actively under construction? haven't had an update in a bit) and Foxborough MA (Tesla equipment onsite - not yet started as of Sunday 9/17). It's always possible there might be another project out there underway that we aren't aware of too.

I looked towards the dumpster, the ground is still all torn up and surrounded by cones. I didn't take a photo.

Also to note, this was around 5:30, and to make a right turn out of the lot onto Industrial Ave - to take the immediate left to head towards Route 3 was next to impossible.. it was just a solid line of cars.
When this is fully up and running, if folks are looking to hit this during rush hour, I would recommend making the left out of the parking lot near the 99, on to Chelmsford St (110) - might be easier..

Reactions: kayak1
This doesn’t have the magic docks. Are they still rare-to-nonexistent?
They are rare. Gradually adding the odd one in different states and provinces. Mostly retrofit, but there is Enfield, CT under construction with Magic Dock.

V4s will be needed for any NEVI-funded sites.
Tesla also has to get API access and adapter production up by spring for the deals with other manufacturers.

I think Tesla will be ultimately be more focused on those than Magic Dock. But Magic Dock does have the advantage of supporting vehicles from manufacturers like HyunKia who are still holding back (because of 800V).

Map from Supercharge.info filtered to sites that support Teslas + Other EVs:

1695647129621.png

Last edited:
I’m not exactly sure why Tesla is bothering adding any more Magic Dock superchargers now that NACS support is inevitable for all manufacturers. The remaining holdouts have to come around, as they’ll be stuck with a static and inadequate CCS network otherwise. That means the Magic Dock SCs will only be useful to an ever-shrinking population of cars - a population that’s not that large to begin with.

Maybe Tesla is just running through the parts they’ve already built? I’d be very surprised if the V4s ended up including the Magic Dock - it just seems like unnecessary added complexity at this point.

Reactions: Farmer
I’m not exactly sure why Tesla is bothering adding any more Magic Dock superchargers now that NACS support is inevitable for all manufacturers. The remaining holdouts have to come around, as they’ll be stuck with a static and inadequate CCS network otherwise. That means the Magic Dock SCs will only be useful to an ever-shrinking population of cars - a population that’s not that large to begin with.

Maybe Tesla is just running through the parts they’ve already built? I’d be very surprised if the V4s ended up including the Magic Dock - it just seems like unnecessary added complexity at this point.
Superchargers that are built in part with grant funds may require the CCS1 ports.

"

Connector Types​

This final rule establishes a requirement that each DCFC port must have a Combined Charging System (CCS) Type 1 connectors. This final rule also allows DCFC charging ports to have other non-proprietary connectors so long as each DCFC charging port is capable of charging a CCS-compliant vehicle.
"

Many of the state grants have also adopted language from the federal grant funding language.