Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Minnetonka, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any ideas where the Maple Grove Superchargers are going? Logic would say it is the Super Target off of 94 since most are being colacated with Target. I have lifetime supercharging on my new X (bought in June) so excited to see these west metro locations.

Tesla’s web site shows a future Supercharger around 494 & Bass Lake Rd, but that makes little sense now that Minnetonka has opened just a few miles down the road from Bass Lake Rd. The SuperTarget in Maple Grove just off of Hwy 610 makes sense, and that is also the location of a future Hy-Vee. This would be a great location geographically in between Clearwater and Oakdale for cross country I-94 traffic.
But, what is really needed is a Supercharger in the south metro, ideally in the Burnsville area right along I-35W/I-35E. There is a Target right there, too.

Reactions: MarkoC
Tesla’s web site shows a future Supercharger around 494 & Bass Lake Rd, but that makes little sense now that Minnetonka has opened just a few miles down the road from Bass Lake Rd. The SuperTarget in Maple Grove just off of Hwy 610 makes sense, and that is also the location of a future Hy-Vee. This would be a great location geographically in between Clearwater and Oakdale for cross country I-94 traffic.
But, what is really needed is a Supercharger in the south metro, ideally in the Burnsville area right along I-35W/I-35E. There is a Target right there, too.
Tesla Coming Soon pins are just the pin for a town, not a specific location, and even that the town can actually be indicative of a general area.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
Adding more in the Twin Cities, while leaving BIG gaps ( I29 Sioux City and Grand Forks for instance) just makes me mad.
How can they be so bone headed?!
They aren't. You're just ignorant of the process behind developing sites for superchargers and so drawing a false conclusion. It may look like they are choosing to overbuild in an already "served" area instead of filling gaps, but that's not what is happening. The two recent installs in the twin cities were done is such short order because Tesla has a partnership with Target to put superchargers in at certain locations where Target has stores. This vastly shortens and speeds up the development process for those locations. Tesla isn't deciding between filling gaps or putting more in twin cities and choosing the latter. They are working on both problems simultaneously, but one is much easier and faster to solve than the other.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
It can be frustrating to see SuperChargers being installed where there already chargers “somewhat” close by, but @mociaf9 is right that Minnetonka was simply an unexpected tactical opportunity, and does not materially impact Tesla’s larger Supercharger agenda. @ItsNotAboutTheMoney does have a good point about Tesla no seeming to move fast enough on some key “Under-served” Interstate routes and regional areas. For example (and from my perspective), northern MN is not covered at all (e.g. Bemidji area). Also, the Eastern side of the Phoenix metro area (and further East from there); really just a Supercharger ghost town. :(

Reactions: MarkoC
Interesting… And Odd… This charger isn’t really that busy, is it? When I have driven by, it has been pretty empty. St. Louis Park seems to get a lot more comments about being full (with cars waiting).
I check it on the map and it's frequently close to full during peak hours. I'm guessing they're also planning for a lot more growth on the west side of the cities. My impression is also that it is far cheaper to expand an existing site than build new ones.

Reactions: DeepBlueMN
I check it on the map and it's frequently close to full during peak hours. I'm guessing they're also planning for a lot more growth on the west side of the cities. My impression is also that it is far cheaper to expand an existing site than build new ones.
Cool. Not complaining, of course. MN has been getting a lot of Supercharger love lately! One just opened, one is way overdue to open soon, two more getting pretty close, 3 more with relatively new permits, and now maybe a new expansion!