Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - North Aurora, IL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by this evening. Nav says 16 chargers but all the new ones are still covered up.

Attachments

• 20221212_175829[1].jpg
    20221212_175829[1].jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 76
Everything is good to go, they're are all open. No visual indicator that the new spots are 250kw though which might get confusing if they are. The in car navigation still shows them all to be 150kw though

Attachments

• 20221215_212716.jpg
    20221215_212716.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bikeman
Thanks for posting the revised N. Aurora/Woodman's info. Are all 16 250kW now, or is it 8 lower and 8 higher?
Sorry, I edited my post after you posted. I checked in navigation and it says that all spots are 150kw. Seems kind of weird for new chargers to be 150KW though. I have a base Model 3 so I can't test if that's true or not since I can only charge up to 120kw. Maybe someone can check. Also I noticed after I left that on the map it says the location has a wifi hotspot. I'll have to check it out the next time I go.

• Informative
Strange. This is what the SC map states about N. Aurora:

8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 250kW
8 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 150kW

I'll try to remember what it says in my car when I hit the charging function and if it updates the info. I can't think of any reason why they would still limit the original 8 to 150kW and not upgrade all of them. I mean, as long as they were digging everything up at the time. Do you remember seeing two big white cabinets or were there four? If it is really just two high-power cabinets, then they might as well list it as two separate SC locations.

Is there such a thing as a dual-power SuperCharging Station?

Last edited:
Strange. This is what the SC map states about N. Aurora:

I'll try to remember what it says in my car when I hit the charging function and if it updates the info. I can't think of any reason why they would still limit the original 8 to 150kW and not upgrade all of them. I mean, as long as they were digging everything up at the time. Do you remember seeing two big white cabinets or were there four? If it is really just two high-power cabinets, then they might as well list it as two separate SC locations.

Is there such a thing as a dual-power SuperCharging Station?
Also they added a separate fenced off area for all the new equipment when they did the install here. It didn't look like they touched the original power equipment.

Can one tell the difference between the new and old cabinets? Are they physically separated on the lot somehow?

The new ones were put in immediately to the west of the existing, old ones. You can always tell the 250 kW units from the 150 kW ones because, ironically, the plug-in cables are thinner in the higher power 250 kW chargers. (Smaller, my understanding is, because they are liquid cooled.)

Can one tell the difference between the new and old cabinets? Are they physically separated on the lot somehow?
Without checking thickness of the cable the only way to tell the difference is the signs beside the chargers. The old ones say general parking is limited to 30 minutes while the new ones don't. Also I just checked the map again while I was driving by and it states that the max charge rate at this station is 250kw unlike a couple days ago where it said 150kw. I assume either the old ones got upgraded or they will eventually.

• Informative
Went for a Christmas day quite long spin around the Fox River Valley today. Almost missed the Christmas dinner by doing that, and I had to make apologies to the wife when I returned late. But hey, it was warm again (12º F) and sunny out! Visited the new partial V3 setup in N.A., not to charge, but just because. Talked to a gentleman up from Tennessee traveling to Illinois for a holiday gathering who had just bought a nice looking model 3. Chatted Teslas and cars for a while.

So I had promised earlier I would get photos. 8V2 + 8V3.

i-5SJKqxk-L.jpg

i-XXVsF8c-L.jpg

Reactions: psychoace
I took a picture where the divide of the old 8 150 kW and 8 new 250 kW SCs are. The kept the old ones in operation while the new ones were added.
They made the old spots 30 minute general parking and it looks like they moved the original signs to the new ones so they are tesla charging only. The new area has a handicapped only spot and they are slightly closer to the west entrance, which closes at 8:45pm.

Attachments

• 20230112_110929[1].jpg
    20230112_110929[1].jpg
    904.2 KB · Views: 31
I took a picture where the divide of the old 8 150 kW and 8 new 250 kW SCs are. The kept the old ones in operation while the new ones were added.
They made the old spots 30 minute general parking and it looks like they moved the original signs to the new ones so they are tesla charging only. The new area has a handicapped only spot and they are slightly closer to the west entrance, which closes at 8:45pm.
Actually the 30 minute signs were always there with the older chargers.