Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pasadena, CA (LIVE 26 Nov 2019, 24 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's very cool that the DCFC is free (for now). I stopped by two weekends ago and saw 5 non-Teslas charging at the DCFC stations. I hope those fill up just like the Tesla superchargers.

re: Mt Wilson meet up and drive, it looks like hwy 2 is finally open through NEWCOMB'S RANCH. Throwing a dart at the wall, what about Sunday March 8th at 11am (daylight savings spring forward)?

Reactions: enigmata
Correct- except after hours when the attendant is gone and gate is open

The first 90 minutes is free but you'll have to get the ticket validated at a nearby shop/restaurant like Starbucks. Otherwise, like what @gaswalla said, you can go during off the off hours when the garage gates are sometimes left open and unattended.

Finally able to wake up earlier and did charging there this morning from 14% to 85% and left before 7am.
Arroyo and Marengo side I think both gate arms were up still. Guess charging still free today 2/6/2020

FYI everyone, came here tonight thinking the arms were going to be up but all entrances are automated now so charging parking fee is in effect. Super bummed it’s not like Burbank where you can go charge the car without parking fees. It was good while it lasted, I guess attendants are out of a job as well since the booths were darkened with limo tint and had no cashier on duty sticker on the booth windows.
I wish this SC was somewhere on Lake Ave instead. Had to pay $6.00 to get out lol.
$6 per trip is steep.

FYI everyone, came here tonight thinking the arms were going to be up but all entrances are automated now so charging parking fee is in effect. Super bummed it’s not like Burbank where you can go charge the car without parking fees. It was good while it lasted, I guess attendants are out of a job as well since the booths were darkened with limo tint and had no cashier on duty sticker on the booth windows.
I wish this SC was somewhere on Lake Ave instead. Had to pay $6.00 to get out lol.
$6 per trip is steep.
Confirmed I had to pay $3 last night. I typically charge late when noone’s there so this is pretty stupid. Last night at 1:30am I was literally the only one there.

At that hour can I get validation anywhere? Would hate to have to change my schedule for $3.

Also trying to do the math here. I only have wall charging available at my house rn (I need to wait a year for a home renovation to complete) so need to SC.

I have two years free SC and a Model 3 SR that takes 25-30min to charge.

If I’m paying $3 to park how much am I actually saving? I supercharge about 2 times a week. What do the chargers cost if I didn’t have free SC?

Confirmed I had to pay $3 last night. I typically charge late when noone’s there so this is pretty stupid. Last night at 1:30am I was literally the only one there.

At that hour can I get validation anywhere? Would hate to have to change my schedule for $3.

Also trying to do the math here. I only have wall charging available at my house rn (I need to wait a year for a home renovation to complete) so need to SC.

I have two years free SC and a Model 3 SR that takes 25-30min to charge.

If I’m paying $3 to park how much am I actually saving? I supercharge about 2 times a week. What do the chargers cost if I didn’t have free SC?

I believe it is around the California average of $0.28 per kwh. How did you get two free years of Supercharging?

Maybe the garage can at some point lower rates during "off" hours, though I don't know the business case for that. The city is making money off the power being sold. Tesla may nominally charge $7.50 for filling half a model 3 LR battery. Not sure what the city's cut is, let's say half. So the city makes $6 total, $3 for parking and $3 for power. Lowering the parking cost a bit to grab another $3 in power revenue during off hours seems like a win/win. If enough people are doing it, then the local Starbucks might open earlier too, but they validate for free in any case. The Supercharger itself probably doesn't generate enough traffic on its own to justify an earlier opening.

5am opening, 5:30 on weekends for Starbucks.

Another long shot further in the future could be a Kettleman City like lounge in the mall. Non-staffed open 24/7 for Tesla drivers or other EV drivers charging. Vending and restrooms. Would require a cheap lease rate on the location, and malls in general are a dying breed so could be possible.

RT

Last edited:
I believe it is around the California average of $0.28 per kwh. How did you get two free years of Supercharging?

Maybe the garage can at some point lower rates during "off" hours, though I don't know the business case for that. The city is making money off the power being sold. Tesla may nominally charge $7.50 for filling half a model 3 LR battery. Not sure what the city's cut is, let's say half. So the city makes $6 total, $3 for parking and $3 for power. Lowering the parking cost a bit to grab another $3 in power revenue during off hours seems like a win/win. If enough people are doing it, then the local Starbucks might open earlier too, but they validate for free in any case. The Supercharger itself probably doesn't generate enough traffic on its own to justify an earlier opening.

5am opening, 5:30 on weekends for Starbucks.

Another long shot further in the future could be a Kettleman City like lounge in the mall. Non-staffed open 24/7 for Tesla drivers or other EV drivers charging. Vending and restrooms. Would require a cheap lease rate on the location, and malls in general are a dying breed so could be possible.

RT

I bought the car in Q3 when they were running 2 years free SC for Model 3.

This paid parking is cramping my style though.

At .28 per kWh, charging from 20% to around 95% on my SR is about $7 per charge that I’m saving.

If I SC 8 times a month thats $56 x 12 x 2 years = $1344.

I’d need $3 worth of parking though. 3 x 8 x 12 x 2 years = $576

so looking like $768 saved over two years. Not sure if that’s really worth the hassle anymore.

And I can’t even imagine paying $9 parking + SC fees if you have a larger battery.

this is all amounting to a major buzzkill. once I get my home renovation project done and I can install a proper charger, I don’t think I’ll ever use the Pasadena station again. Makes little sense to pay parking fees to charge.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I wish the parking was free as well. But there are other supercharging locations that charge even more. I paid $6 at Seattle Union for staying only 12 min at 11pm. I paid $6 in San Francisco for staying only 10 min. There are several valet only locations in Manhattan that charge $25+ minimum. It could be worse.

You can validate at a number of restaurants nearby and Starbucks. So between 6am-10pm you should be able to get 1 hour free.

I wish the parking was free as well. But there are other supercharging locations that charge even more. I paid $6 at Seattle Union for staying only 12 min at 11pm. I paid $6 in San Francisco for staying only 10 min. There are several valet only locations in Manhattan that charge $25+ minimum. It could be worse.

You can validate at a number of restaurants nearby and Starbucks. So between 6am-10pm you should be able to get 1 hour free.
The Starbuck’s at Green and Marengo told me they don’t validate. I assume the one at 300 E. Colorado does. I’ll try that one next time

Reactions: BM3B
It looks to be open since 17/24 are available in the app, I saw 15 a minute ago so it’s updating

Attachments

• B0A1FD47-3CEA-4F3D-A262-2AE4DE8D4326.png
    B0A1FD47-3CEA-4F3D-A262-2AE4DE8D4326.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
A comment was posted on Supercharger app that the parking structure is closed due to Covid-19. Has anybody tried recently?

Governor's order includes EV Charging Stations as essential infrastructure which make this the same as Gasoline Stations. The parking structure owners better come up with a better reason to close off access to the Tesla Supercharger.