Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In anticipation of Payson being live in the reasonably near future:

Can someone(s) suggest interesting day routes beginning and ending in the PHX area that Payson would enable?

Can someone(s) suggest interesting day routes beginning and ending in the PHX area that Payson would enable?
It's a long way for a day route from Phoenix. If you're thinking about using the Payson charger it's probably because you're spending a night or more in Show Low or Pinetop. Mainly it's the bridge to the Holbrook Super Charger for trips to the Petrified Forest and New Mexico (and beyond). You can go Ski at Sunrise as a good day trip though!

Depending on your interest, there are all kinds of day trips that you can enjoy. North of Payson is Pine, Strawberry, Happy Jack and numerous trails and hikes along the Mogollon Rim. Also between Payson and Pine is the Natural Bridge State Park which is well worth a half-day of your time. East of Payson is Christopher Creek also well worth your time and some great trails from there. If you want to look for the Christopher Creek "Big Foot Monster" you can google it and get more details. If you want to do a Rodeo in August you can attend the oldest contentious rodeo in the US. I suggest you go online to Payson's Chamber of Commerce website and see the happenings. There is a lot to do in that area, not to mention there are two beautiful 18 hole private golf courses, Chaparral Pines and THE RIM Gold Club. Private but they have stay and play packages available. The 5,000 foot elevation makes it a wonderful summer trip. I love the area, it is in the middle of the Tonto National Forest. More to do than most of us have time to do them.

So: not a whole lot of interest along Rte 260 from Payson to Camp Verde (thence back to Phx)?
Absolutely there is, I17 is such a mess on weekends and living in the way east valley this is my preferred route. Its worth it to me to avoid the highway and have a pleasant low traffic more scenic drive up north. It was a stretch to get home from Cordes Lakes SC in my P85 on that route.
Thanks for all the updates on this location!!!

There's a lot of good hiking and camping up on the rim - Woods Canyon Lake, Bear Canyon Lake, Potato Lake, to name a few nice areas. It also would open up a Phoenix-Payson-Young-Globe-Phoenix route for the brave and adventurous. I've never done the drive from Payson to Camp Verde, but I'm looking forward to trying it once this supercharger is done.

I'm most excited about the Payson supercharger because it opens up more of the White Mountains (I can finally easily get to my cabin in Greer).

There's supposed to be one in Globe before the end of the year, though it obviously isn't going to make it by then. That will eventually open up other options for getting to the White Mountains and Rim.

One in Springerville would give us the option to travel all the way through the mountains to Socorro in New Mexico, though the Socorro charger is also behind schedule.

So: not a whole lot of interest along Rte 260 from Payson to Camp Verde (thence back to Phx)?
It's an interesting drive if the weather is decent. Gotta be careful no these roads if it's snowing (especially east of Payson) and look out for gravel and rocks that wash down after a good rain.

But yeah the main purpose of this supercharger is to provide buffer on the PHX-Holbrook leg and provide access to the Show Low area and Payson/Mogollon Rim itself as the previous poster said.

and watch yourself driving thru Rye...talk about a speed trap...don't go over 70 mph, or you will be making a 'donation" to our fine public safety coffers...
That must be a new one. I don't remember having an issue there during my Payson days which were mostly 2011-12 ish. Law Enforcement is definitely the worst thing about Arizona. Would have considered moving there permanently otherwise.

Has nothing to do with Payson, but shortly after we got our P100D I was headed through Wickenburg during their annual festival, the February "Gold Rush Days". So lots of traffic and lots of traffic control. West of town on Rte 93 is a reasonably steep incline just before that final traffic light at Vulture Mine Rd....wheee!
And waiting for me at the top.....

"It is so silent I absolutely did not realize I was going so fast."

He let me off with a warning. Phew!

Has nothing to do with Payson, but shortly after we got our P100D I was headed through Wickenburg during their annual festival, the February "Gold Rush Days". So lots of traffic and lots of traffic control. West of town on Rte 93 is a reasonably steep incline just before that final traffic light at Vulture Mine Rd....wheee!
And waiting for me at the top.....

"It is so silent I absolutely did not realize I was going so fast."

He let me off with a warning. Phew!
If you have out of state plates, they will often pull you over for that reason alone. Of course they have to make up some bullshit reason but the out of state plates are the real reason. And yes, it's almost always a warning. They usually aren't motivated by giving out tickets but rather digging into your business. I think I got pulled over a dozen times in Arizona in about 2 or 3 years (maybe 10-20k miles of driving) and only got a ticket once. You may get treated differently in a nice car like a Tesla. I was driving a well-used Hyundai Sonata at the time.

Arizona is a Police State more than any of the other 49 states. Sheriff Joe didn't just happen randomly.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Interesting.
As yet another aside, I've always thought Chitty Chitty Shush Shush's plate to be a Stealth Plate for Arizona. Does this particular Alaskan design not look at first glance like Arizona's EV plate?
Einstein at 122ºF.jpg

Reactions: Don TLR and tmoz