Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pembina, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have an update on the Pembina Supercharger installation? The Tesla Super Charger map estimate is 2022. As we know, that sometimes is extended year after year. I see the status permit is 1363 days on the supercharge.info map.
I was thinking of traveling through the path from Grand Forks to Winnipeg. During the winter months which might be a close call with high loss from the cold/snow.
Abetterrouteplanner says it can make it but barely.
I saw a Level 2 in Morrison which might be a option too.
I own a Tesla S P100D 2018.

Anyone have an update on the Pembina Supercharger installation? The Tesla Super Charger map estimate is 2022. As we know, that sometimes is extended year after year. I see the status permit is 1363 days on the supercharge.info map.
I was thinking of traveling through the path from Grand Forks to Winnipeg. During the winter months which might be a close call with high loss from the cold/snow.
Abetterrouteplanner says it can make it but barely.
I saw a Level 2 in Morrison which might be a option too.
I own a Tesla S P100D 2018.
I think you mean Morris, not Morrison.

The L2 is at Tim Horton’s in Morris. I have an X 100D and have traveled that route in both directions about a dozen times, but not in winter. I’ve never needed to stop there but it is a reasonable contingency spot. Charge to 100% at Grand Forks and you’ll know when you cross the border if you need to stop at Timmy’s. There is also a good L2 in Altona if you are headed West.

I am not optimistic about the charger at Pembina. I talked to the store manager about 2019 and he and the owner don’t seem to have the right mojo to support a Supercharger. They want them “over there” by the dumpsters in a traffic lane where 18 wheelers come whipping around a corner and head to the back. Pembina is a good idea but I’m not big on that property. I don’t know how Tesla picked that location.

According to plugshare.com, Grafton also has a CCS/ChaDemo charger at the Simsonson parking lot which is somewhat closer to the border than Grand Forks, if every mile counts and you have (or can borrow) a ChaDemo adapter. (and there is a J1772) That gains you about 20 miles / 30km of distance where it counts. - PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Of course, there are COVID test requirements to cross the border into Canada, and there's a Canadian border phone app that should be filled out to expedite the crossing with your covid test. ("ArriveCAN" app)

Based on the issues with Batchawana Bay north of SS Marie on the transCanada (limited to 208V 1 phase) - locations of fast chargers probably depends on the availability of good power feed (more than 240V). The gas station, besides being conveniently located next to the highway, is next to the bus factory which probably means it's close to the best power feed in town?

Last edited:
According to plugshare.com, Grafton also has a CCS/ChaDemo charger at the Simsonson parking lot which is somewhat closer to the border than Grand Forks, if every mile counts and you have (or can borrow) a ChaDemo adapter. (and there is a J1772) That gains you about 20 miles / 30km of distance where it counts. - PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Of course, there are COVID test requirements to cross the border into Canada, and there's a Canadian border phone app that should be filled out to expedite the crossing with your covid test. ("ArriveCAN" app)

Based on the issues with Batchawana Bay north of SS Marie on the transCanada (limited to 208V 1 phase) - locations of fast chargers probably depends on the availability of good power feed (more than 240V). The gas station, besides being conveniently located next to the highway, is next to the bus factory which probably means it's close to the best power feed in town?
Can't say I'm intimately familiar with the electrical grid in Pembina, but generally speaking, I'd be hesitant to compare any town along an American interstate to a place like Batchwana Bay. There are some exceptions such as I-40 through the Mojave or I-70 in SE Utah, but I haven't seen anything like that as far east as Pembina.

Reactions: outdoors
I think you mean Morris, not Morrison.

The L2 is at Tim Horton’s in Morris. I have an X 100D and have traveled that route in both directions about a dozen times, but not in winter. I’ve never needed to stop there but it is a reasonable contingency spot. Charge to 100% at Grand Forks and you’ll know when you cross the border if you need to stop at Timmy’s. There is also a good L2 in Altona if you are headed West.

I am not optimistic about the charger at Pembina. I talked to the store manager about 2019 and he and the owner don’t seem to have the right mojo to support a Supercharger. They want them “over there” by the dumpsters in a traffic lane where 18 wheelers come whipping around a corner and head to the back. Pembina is a good idea but I’m not big on that property. I don’t know how Tesla picked that location.
Yes, Morris. The Tim Horton’s in Morris looks like a good backup plan just in case the snow/wind/cold increases my consumption more then planned.
There are a couple of hotels near by the Tim Horton location which might be in the plans too.

I previously saw the ArriveCAN app but do not know what is involved. More reading.
Traveling, via a car, from Canada to US as a US Citizen. I just need a passport, right?
I have my fully vaxed w/Booster card.