Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and no. The sales of Tesla cars are adding more cars by the minute. Both Indio and Cabazoon were mostly empty when they were built and got busy quickly with the traffic they enabled. Even before the Model 3 started selling in large numbers. When I drove that route back in 2014 there was no one in Quartzsite. Maybe here and there one other car. Today it's busy all the time. Installing larger stations is necessary with the growth of Tesla these days.
Not to pile on, but the Quartzite SC energy output is incredibly unreliable too. It is in dire need of the upgrade.

I agree with Uncle Paul too, though. It's a tremendous investment in a major transportation corridor.

I think it is amazing that Tesla will build out such huge facilities to provide so many chargers that will be mostly empty 99% of the time, and only be filled up on the few major holiday peak travel times. A tremendous investment.

It makes me wonder, does Tesla use the solar/batteries connected to their larger sites to not only buffer the grid for charging vehicles, but in their 90% of non peak time do they earn revenue in other ways?
* Export solar generation to the grid?
* Provide grid services like frequency stabilisation (FCAS)?
* Play the wholesale energy market by charging when cheap, discharging back to the grid when expensive?

4, maybe 6 new temp chargers have just been installed. I do not know if all are functional yet. Photos from PlugShare View attachment 477419View attachment 477420
That's 4 new ones. I would assume this is an indication that the expansion will not be complete in time for Thanksgiving. I also suspect that there will be huge backups during peak times. The worst part is the Needles/Kingman and Yuma situations are also bad, so it's not like there are even reasonable alternatives for SoCal-AZ travel.

That's 4 new ones. I would assume this is an indication that the expansion will not be complete in time for Thanksgiving. I also suspect that there will be huge backups during peak times. The worst part is the Needles/Kingman and Yuma situations are also bad, so it's not like there are even reasonable alternatives for SoCal-AZ travel.
So true! We took the 8 last month and thankfully it was empty, but Yuma is garbage right now.

Anyone else driving through Quartzite on Tues the 19th for CYBERTRUCK?

Me and my +1 will be driving our 2 Teslas. Hoping it's not full, but should be light traffic otherwise I would think.
Not making that trip, but I am on a weekend trip and the Buckeye supercharger had signs urging tesla owners to fully charge while Quartzite is being upgraded. Nav said I could make it to Indio, but only with a 3% buffer.

I stopped in Quartzsite when nature called and was able to charge up to 80% so I could make it to the outlets in Cabazon. Only two other teslas were charging at 6pm on a Saturday.

I recommend charging fully in buckeye with the expectation to skip Quartzsite.

Not making that trip, but I am on a weekend trip and the Buckeye supercharger had signs urging tesla owners to fully charge while Quartzite is being upgraded. Nav said I could make it to Indio, but only with a 3% buffer.

I stopped in Quartzsite when nature called and was able to charge up to 80% so I could make it to the outlets in Cabazon. Only two other teslas were charging at 6pm on a Saturday.

I recommend charging fully in buckeye with the expectation to skip Quartzsite.

Ohh good info, THX! I'll be fine in my P3, but my friend is driving my old P85 with about 240K miles on it so maybe 230 miles at 100%

4, maybe 6 new temp chargers have just been installed. I do not know if all are functional yet. Photos from PlugShare View attachment 477419View attachment 477420
I was there on Sunday - from what I can tell, 4 of the "urban" chargers on skids were connected (using the power cables from the 2 temp urban chargers and 2 temp Superchargers that had been there for some months); the other 4 chargers (on two skids) were not yet connected to power.

Alas, the entire site still seems to be power-limited. I connected to stall 4B (4A was not in use) and was only able to get 48kW with a low battery SOC.

I found it interesting that the skids actually had 3 urban chargers on them - one on the back of one side and one on the front and one on the back of the other side. So one side could be used as pull-in rather than back-in.

I'm hoping that they do a bunch of pull-in spots (with long markings on them) for folks pulling trailers. That's really been lacking up to now, and it would be a royal pain to disconnect a trailer every time you have to charge. Fingers crossed!

I found it interesting that the skids actually had 3 urban chargers on them - one on the back of one side and one on the front and one on the back of the other side. So one side could be used as pull-in rather than back-in.
Only two of the plugs are active.

@Sasmania I think you will be fine on a Tuesday, but charge to 90% before Quartzsite just in case.

Reactions: Sasmania
Was just a the Q. They now have 4 sets of 3 Temporary Urban Chargers (only one set seems to be wired up now) for 12 additional chargers. I'm betting these get hooked up before Thanksgiving.... and will stay until the V3 site is done.
mf49WYkwRmO0a+FjcNP2Aw.jpg

ALSO... I saw an bulldozer with claw moving earth near where I think is the Pilot Travel Center / McDonalds right before the turn off for Carls Jr / Tesla. Wonder if this is the new site for the 28 V3??

Was just a the Q. They now have 4 sets of 3 Temporary Urban Chargers (only one set seems to be wired up now) for 12 additional chargers. I'm betting these get hooked up before Thanksgiving.... and will stay until the V3 site is done. View attachment 478856

ALSO... I saw an bulldozer with claw moving earth near where I think is the Pilot Travel Center / McDonalds right before the turn off for Carls Jr / Tesla. Wonder if this is the new site for the 28 V3??
Only 2/3 stalls per pallet work, so that makes for 8 stalls. So much for them being V3.

Interesting observation.. another comment earlier in this thread suggested it was going to be on the empty lot immediately adjacent to the current site (just to the west). Might be worth keeping an eye on both locations!

Alas, the entire site still seems to be power-limited. I connected to stall 4B (4A was not in use) and was only able to get 48kW with a low battery SOC.

Stopped in Quartzsite on the way back. Only other Tesal was a nice guy in his X jokingly asking where the credit card machine was to pay for his charge. He picked 3A, the only reliable Supercharger left. 2B got me 50kW. 3B shared the 30 kW and 1B got nothing.

Larger diameter PVC is being run around the parking lot to the temporary chargers. I am hoping this means heavier gauge wiring so faster charging.

Stopped in Quartzsite on the way back. Only other Tesal was a nice guy in his X jokingly asking where the credit card machine was to pay for his charge. He picked 3A, the only reliable Supercharger left. 2B got me 50kW. 3B shared the 30 kW and 1B got nothing.

Larger diameter PVC is being run around the parking lot to the temporary chargers. I am hoping this means heavier gauge wiring so faster charging.
The temporary urban chargers deliver 50kW. Only 2 of the 3 plugs are active on each pallet.

Was just a the Q. They now have 4 sets of 3 Temporary Urban Chargers (only one set seems to be wired up now) for 12 additional chargers. I'm betting these get hooked up before Thanksgiving.... and will stay until the V3 site is done. View attachment 478856

They are def not V3! But hey, it's a temporary fix until V3 which is a huge improvement over doing nothing at all. I'll take it!

Stopped by last night around 6:30 PM @ Quartzsite and talked to Tesla folks putting up some final touches to operate those new urban SC's. They told me that night it will be operational after an hour later. Didn't confirm coz I have to drive back to SoCal. This additional SC's will help Tesla drivers taking I-10 between PHX and SoCal especially during holidays.

The future site of V3 is the vacant lot which is situated west of the existing charging station. It will be available between 3 to 6 months according to Tesla workers on the site. Kudos to Tesla SC team for making this happen and listening to our request.