Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is currently a HUGE dirt/sand/gravel lot just west of the current Carls Jr parking lot, plenty of space for new charging stations.

Quartzsite.png

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
This is great news for a lot of folks. A newer long-range Teslas can probably do just fine from Indio to Quartzsite (or even Buckeye), but Quartzsite is an absolute must "stop to charge" for folks with less than 280 mile range cars (especially during a headwind). Expanding Quartzsite and a new install at Ehrenburg would open up so many options for charging and will make Quartzsite no longer a must stop.

The expansion at Quartzsite is also a godsend for those traveling during holiday travel or peak college related travel (drop-off, graduation, and move-out of your students).

There is currently a HUGE dirt/sand/gravel lot just west of the current Carls Jr parking lot, plenty of space for new charging stations.

View attachment 475117
I called the City of Quartzite and the lady I spoke with shared that this is the site of the new SC's.

Also, first blush plan review is expected to be completed by the end of the week or first part of next week. Changes or corrections may be required that would necessitate a second pass through design review.

Any idea the time it takes from permitting to completion of a SC?

I called the City of Quartzite and the lady I spoke with shared that this is the site of the new SC's.

Good find!

Regarding adding this to supercharge.info, this is borderline as to whether it is a new site, or an upgrade of the existing site. It doesn't really matter but I'm just trying to be consistent with how Blueshift had organised the data in the past. It could just be the extension of the Carls Jr car park, in which case it's probably just an upgrade, but it could be a self contained SC with it's own street entrance, battery and solar, in the style of the Las Vegas LINQ one, or even with a lounge like Kettleman City. What makes me thing it's the latter is (a) it's the perfect part of the country for solar, you'd be crazy not to include it (b) that's a big space - 24 supercharger stalls would fit just along one edge - there must be more to it.

Just want to get peoples ideas first, as it's hard to delete entries of supercharge.info (Only Blueshift can do this, all the rest of us can add/edit only)

Good find!

Regarding adding this to supercharge.info, this is borderline as to whether it is a new site, or an upgrade of the existing site. It doesn't really matter but I'm just trying to be consistent with how Blueshift had organised the data in the past. It could just be the extension of the Carls Jr car park, in which case it's probably just an upgrade, but it could be a self contained SC with it's own street entrance, battery and solar, in the style of the Las Vegas LINQ one, or even with a lounge like Kettleman City. What makes me thing it's the latter is (a) it's the perfect part of the country for solar, you'd be crazy not to include it (b) that's a big space - 24 supercharger stalls would fit just along one edge - there must be more to it.

Just want to get peoples ideas first, as it's hard to delete entries of supercharge.info (Only Blueshift can do this, all the rest of us can add/edit only)
I don't know if this helps you or not, but according to the lady at the city, the chargers are going into the vacant lot immediately to the west (in the aerial photo posted above by @SSonnentag) of the Carl's Jr. site. She also gave me a street address off of Main (I didn't write it down, sorry!).

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Good find!

I would consider it one site until given strong evidence to do otherwise. But you probably don't want to edit the info until the construction is complete anyway right?

I would consider it one site until given strong evidence to do otherwise. But you probably don't want to edit the info until the construction is complete anyway right?

@Big Ike ‘s comment would be enough to warrant an additional blue dot, *if* it was a new site. If it’s the same site, the stall count and speed would be quietly updated when it goes live, that’s about it.

They haven’t even started digging yet, so I’d say 3 months minimum especially if it’s a full solar/battery site!

Yea, I know, wishful thinking, but sometimes they actually crank them out pretty fast when it's an important one. This site has already caused quite a bit of bad PR for Tesla and I even have a friend to does PHX to LA fairly often who sold his Tesla because he was sick of the long waits for charging. It should have never gotten this bad but luckily V3 is coming soon!

Reactions: Chuq
Gearing up for Thanksgiving travel...

Last year, after Christmas, we traveled to AZ. On the way there, we spent over 2 hours in Quartzite -- waiting to charge and then actually charging. I won't be making that trip for Thanksgiving this year and haven't decided about Christmas.

But I'm glad they're at least trying to do something in the mean time.

P.S., last year with the Tesla lines, it got tricky with them blocking other vehicles that were parked to go to Carl's Jr. Hopefully this doesn't result in those spots getting ICE'd since they're taking over additional spots with the temporary chargers...

I think it is amazing that Tesla will build out such huge facilities to provide so many chargers that will be mostly empty 99% of the time, and only be filled up on the few major holiday peak travel times. A tremendous investment.

Yes and no. The sales of Tesla cars are adding more cars by the minute. Both Indio and Cabazoon were mostly empty when they were built and got busy quickly with the traffic they enabled. Even before the Model 3 started selling in large numbers. When I drove that route back in 2014 there was no one in Quartzsite. Maybe here and there one other car. Today it's busy all the time. Installing larger stations is necessary with the growth of Tesla these days.

Reactions: maximizese