Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: several posts discussing whether or not Tesla makes money on owners charging at this location have been moved to a new thread at Does Tesla make money on Supercharging? because the discussion is not specific to the A St Supercharger and there is no evidence that Tesla is trying to make money on charging there as compared to any other Supercharger. That discussion can be continue there. Thank you.
Off topic: you changed your avatar?!!!!

Moderator note: several posts discussing whether or not Tesla makes money on owners charging at this location have been moved to a new thread at Does Tesla make money on Supercharging? because the discussion is not specific to the A St Supercharger and there is no evidence that Tesla is trying to make money on charging there as compared to any other Supercharger. That discussion can be continue there. Thank you.

Well, the question that started the discussion was specific to this supercharger.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Well, the question that started the discussion was specific to this supercharger.
Yes it was but the discussion quickly changed to a general one about the fact that Tesla does not consider Superchargers as a profit center (Tesla has stated that numerous times) and there is no evidence that any Supercharger location owner pays Tesla.

Please continue the discussion in the new thread. Thanks. :)

I spoke to the parking garage management… They asssured me that the gate from today forward will be locked in the up position and that 24 seven access is available. They also mentioned that they have a five dollar flat rate after 5 PM and on weekends

Could you or someone else be more specific as to when the $5 charge applies? For instance, after 5pm to when? untill 8am the next morning? Also on weekends--does that mean from 12:01am Saturday morning till Sunday midnight? I am planning on a trip to the San Diego area this coming week, so I would like to know what I would be encountering.

You pay upon leaving. If an attendant is available you pay $2 per 15 minutes. If an attendant is not on duty you pay a flat rate of $5 to have the computer lift the gate to exit. I may be wrong, but this is my understanding. If you plan to take longer than 30 minutes to charge, then wait until after 5 pm then stay as long as you wish.

From 5 pm Friday until 8 am Monday it should be a flat $5 no matter how long you stay.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
You pay upon leaving. If an attendant is available you pay $2 per 15 minutes. If an attendant is not on duty you pay a flat rate of $5 to have the computer lift the gate to exit. I may be wrong, but this is my understanding. If you plan to take longer than 30 minutes to charge, then wait until after 5 pm then stay as long as you wish.

From 5 pm Friday until 8 am Monday it should be a flat $5 no matter how long you stay.

So there is never a time when it is free---is that what you are saying?

As of now this is the case. Unless you can borrow a monthly user card to exit, then walk it back inside to give it to the monthly user. With all that effort it is easier to just pay the fee.

Plus, as was stated in an earlier post (that was moved to another thread) the parking garage pays Tesla part of the parking fee for each car that charges.

First 15 minutes are free.

This is very nice to know for anyone local, or someone visiting San Diego for a few days.

If you are in the Downtown area just swing by for a quick visit to experience this Supercharger and get 12 kWh of electricity in 10 minutes of being plugged in, then leave before your 15 minutes are up. For a Model S or X that is about 36 miles of charge, for a Model 3 it should be close to 48 miles of charge.

I would not make a special trip for this, but if I find myself downtown and have 15 minutes to explore, then I will take advantage of it to explore this new Supercharger.

• Helpful
Reactions: billy/
This is very nice to know for anyone local, or someone visiting San Diego for a few days.

If you are in the Downtown area just swing by for a quick visit to experience this Supercharger and get 12 kWh of electricity in 10 minutes of being plugged in, then leave before your 15 minutes are up. For a Model S or X that is about 36 miles of charge, for a Model 3 it should be close to 48 miles of charge.

I would not make a special trip for this, but if I find myself downtown and have 15 minutes to explore, then I will take advantage of it to explore this new Supercharger.
Then drive around the block and rinse and repeat!

• Funny
Reactions: jowaldo