Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged at sjc yesterday during trip from sd to LA. Was very disappointed to see TWO owners come and plug in and have a family member drive them off. That sure sounds like locals using the chargers right during a busy Sunday. I was plugged in for 45 minutes... Those two cars were left plugged in. Disappointed in my fellow Tesla owners
Next time how about taking pictures (VIN, license plate) and posting them here and send it to Tesla.

I charged at sjc yesterday during trip from sd to LA. Was very disappointed to see TWO owners come and plug in and have a family member drive them off. That sure sounds like locals using the chargers right during a busy Sunday. I was plugged in for 45 minutes... Those two cars were left plugged in. Disappointed in my fellow Tesla owners

That sounds like quite a hassle. I don't think I would have bought my Model S if I had to go through that sort of hassle to charge. And if they do have the ability to charge at home, yet do this anyway... wow! I don't understand it.

I don't expect the to sit around but I do expect ppl to be there the last minute of charge and move it promptly.

I plugged in, saw it took 45 mins, walked across the street to Starbucks and took a piss, grab a coffee and came back with 10 mins to spare. Moved to a regular spot once it was done and went back to shop.

Bizarre. Never seen that before. Tesla should consider a parking fee for these abusers.

This thread reminds me why I avoid this location if I can. Even after San Diego opened. It also shows how much demand there is in the Southern California area. Even though there are so many Superchargers here, they are always busy because the large amount of Teslas.

Quite honestly, I can't see how Tesla will be able to meet demand once the Model X and 3 are out.

Its been mentioned by others, charge for parking in the stall after 60 or 90 minutes.

More than 60 minutes is too much. Particularly in SoCal, where I can drive in any direction and find another Supercharger, 30-45 minutes might be enough. But, a limit of 60 minutes is easy to figure out.

I would add that it's not 60 min of parking; the car must be charging during those 60 min, or get towed / ticketed / fees assessed.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen this at San Juan Cap, and Culver City. I'm confident that it happens at San Diego, since the Supercharger is physically in the Qualcomm complex.

I was at one Supercharger, and the "Local" drove up and plugged in. He had out-of-state plates from a state without sales tax. I asked him if he was on vacation, and he claimed that he had those plates to scam out on California sales tax.

Then he jumped in his buddy's waiting oil burner car, and off they went.

There is already massive debate and discussion regarding proper use of SC's. While very controversial, I am pretty sure no one would disagree that plugging in and driving off in another vehicle is completely unacceptable (of course if the vehicle is truly parked, and not going off for lunch for an hour). I would recommend the good citizens that depend on SJC make note of these vehicles and report them to TM. THOSE people are the ones who should get a letter. I wouldn't be opposed to a little public shaming too. Post their license plates here for example.

The El Campeon Carnieria Mexican restaurant is really quite good. Not only for taste but they do not over salt. I got the carnitas plate. Been their twice, sorry have not tried anything else. Took home what I could not finish. Was all I wanted for dinner. Their special drinks are also good.

FYI guys there is a free CHAdeMO station at the Imperio Nissan close by (33633 Camino Capistrano, 92675). If all stations are full and you're in a pinch you can use that one, and charge up to get to Fountain Valley or San Diego. Better than nothing! The next closest CHAdeMO station is at the Shops at Mission Viejo, 555 Shops At Mission Viejo, 92691 (eVgo).

San Clemente SC SEVERELY overloaded Saturday 4:30 PM

We were returning from San Diego to Orange County and pulled into the San Clemente SC yesterday since my estimated remaining battery to my home was only 2% because of an unexpected additional trip from Oceanside to Escondido. When we pulled in EVERY Supercharger slot was full with 4 cars waiting... and nowhere for us to park & wait for a spot.

This is the first time I've pulled into a SC where every stall was full so I was quite surprised. Sure would have been nice if the Tesla Nav had told us every stall was full before we pulled off the freeway to the SC. Fortunately I was able to get home with 2% remaining by turning on Range Mode and reducing my freeway speed significantly... Down to 50 mph on the last big hill on the 73 freeway by the Newport Coast toll booth.

Sure seems like the San Clemente SC station needs more SC stations AND parking spaces for a SC queue.

Anybody else get blocked out here? If so what day & time?