Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, high class problems. I have a day trip from LA to the Miramar area next week, too. Looks like drive-like-an-old-man and get a few sips from the HPWC farm at SDSC for me!! Like all of us, I can't wait for SJC. But I have to . . .

If you have an 85, you might be able to make the round trip on a single range charge. Definitely no need to drive slow if you're going to spend some time charging in San Diego.

Here's some pics of the lot with the brown paint applied to the boxes.

WP_20140317_001 (800x450).jpg

WP_20140317_002 (800x450).jpg

WP_20140317_003 (800x450).jpg

I've not driven by personally, but I understand the SJC supercharger is still not open!
Does anyone know what the issue is?
When I was charging at Hawthorne, the receptionist said it was a permitting problem.
That was three weeks ago.

Who should we bug?!!!

There are 27 pages on this topic, most of which explain the issue. Perhaps you should read them?

Thanks to all of the posters with updates - this has been painful to watch. Hopefully there will be progress after the parade.

I've not driven by personally, but I understand the SJC supercharger is still not open!
Does anyone know what the issue is?
When I was charging at Hawthorne, the receptionist said it was a permitting problem.
That was three weeks ago.

Who should we bug?!!!

First, welcome. Second, let me apologize for Redders' comments. He is new here too and doesn't understand that we help each other. Certainly, no one expects you to read the entire thread, and a summary is reasonable to ask for at this point.

The issue has been one of easement, where the property owners had to give Tesla the rights to dig on their property to run their main power source. No one here knows exactly what the hold up was in that process, but it has been completed just recently. Now, the issue is the Swallow's Day Parade, scheduled for this Saturday. After that, it's just a matter of getting the construction crew back to finish, and the final inspection by the power company. This could be fast, or not. We will see.

First, welcome. Second, let me apologize for Redders' comments. He is new here too and doesn't understand that we help each other. Certainly, no one expects you to read the entire thread, and a summary is reasonable to ask for at this point.

The issue has been one of easement, where the property owners had to give Tesla the rights to dig on their property to run their main power source. No one here knows exactly what the hold up was in that process, but it has been completed just recently. Now, the issue is the Swallow's Day Parade, scheduled for this Saturday. After that, it's just a matter of getting the construction crew back to finish, and the final inspection by the power company. This could be fast, or not. We will see.

Good summary, but I don't understand the need to wait until after the parade. In Cheyenne, they did a very nice job, with incredibly little disturbance by placing the high Voltage lines with a horizontal drilling rig. There was no asphalt torn up, no repaving, and the horizontal drill rig was only on site for a day or so.

Good summary, but I don't understand the need to wait until after the parade. In Cheyenne, they did a very nice job, with incredibly little disturbance by placing the high Voltage lines with a horizontal drilling rig. There was no asphalt torn up, no repaving, and the horizontal drill rig was only on site for a day or so.
My guess, SJC is a small beach town. The planning commission probably just didn't want to hear it or bother, and simply said wait.

My guess, SJC is a small beach town. The planning commission probably just didn't want to hear it or bother, and simply said wait.

Probably the latter. The typical horizontal drill rig is about as loud as a string trimmer and less annoying with more of a low frequency rumble... I'll pass through today and will miss charging there. Oh well...another visit to Hawthorne.

Is there another good nearby place to charge? We will be visiting Aliso Viejo next weekend and the Mission Viejo store wasn't keen on charging there. We'll be visiting from NorCal.

Hmm, that's odd and unfortunate. They have 5 HPWCs and Costa Mesa SvC has what? 1 or 2 that are used much more heavily. Mission Viejo has no legitimate reason to deny you a charge as far as I'm concerned.

Mission Viejo was happy to help me out a few weeks ago. I chatted up with the sales guys a little while it was charging. They were very nice and accommodating.

They were fairly clear when I called that I could not use their chargers on the way through as a back up in case the Supercharger was not done (way back when it seemed like SJC super charger was "almost done"). They must have changed policies, or just can't say no in person.

No need to apologize for my comments. I've been reading these posts for a while and made the effort to understand the issue without being lazy. So no need for me to apologize either.

Agree that the Costa Mesa folks were very friendly and I've used it in a jam too. It's further away from SJC than the Mission Viejo location, but they don't service any vehicles on Sunday, so they are more accommodating. Call them ahead of time. They will even drive you over to South Coast Plaza for some shopping too.

SJC isn't a beach town and isn't particularly small (35,000+). It does have a historic core - historic by any standard, not just by SoCal standards - and the Supercharger is going in that core area. That may have something to do with the delay.