Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe they had the physical space for 8 parking places with the "path of travel" ADA space needed. Hence, they ended up with 7 spaces...So I would assume that one of the parking spaces has charging hardware all to itself and doesn't share...Hereby dubbed "the sweet spot".... :)

A word to those who are not regular SJC drivers:

The traffic in the downtown area is often very slow, summer and weekends are worse.
With the 5/74 interchange project underway, traffic this summer could be really bad, weekends awful.

Take the Camino Capistrano Exit (1st exit South of Ortega Highway 74) to access SJC SC from either direction.
You will likely still sit at a couple of lights, but it'll be better than exiting at Ortega Hwy into the downtown gridlock.
happy road-tripping.

I'd love a Riverside or Corona or Ontario supercharger

Ontario would be fantastic. It's only like 30mi from my house, but it takes about 70mi of rated range for me to get home from there. Some days it really creates a bit of a pucker factor when I'm doing stuff in the inland empire, especially if I already had to work that day. I've arrived home with 2mi of rated range a couple times, which is a bit nervy when you're averaging over 1000Wh/mi for the last 7 or so miles.

The San Juan Capistrano Tesla Supercharger station will be the 14th Tesla Supercharger station in the state of California. That's very good. The whole of Europe currently has 15 Tesla Supercharger stations. That's about to change pretty significantly in the second half of 2014. For example, Germany will have at least as many Tesla Supercharger stations as there are currently in California.

I went by the site yesterday and observed this sign. Ouch. This spot is not exclusively for charging. The spot to the right had a different sign that says exclusively for charging. Bottom line is that some spots will be subject to ICEing. I guess this is the best TM could negotiate. Also, if you observe how I parked in this picture, it will be possible to charge from this spot if the actual stall is ICEd although it's not actually a legal parking spot. Believe me, I'll do this if ICEd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    956.3 KB · Views: 399
I went by the site yesterday and observed this sign. Ouch. This spot is not exclusively for charging. The spot to the right had a different sign that says exclusively for charging. Bottom line is that some spots will be subject to ICEing. I guess this is the best TM could negotiate. Also, if you observe how I parked in this picture, it will be possible to charge from this spot if the actual stall is ICEd although it's not actually a legal parking spot. Believe me, I'll do this if ICEd.

There are other superchargers that have these non-exclusive spaces, too, like Buellton.

I'm okay with this as most of my driving will be done after bank hours. Still beats having to go up to Hawthorne.