Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Marcos, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured there had to already be a thread - but couldn’t find one. Lo and behold, you found one I started previously! This one’s named and placed more consistently.

San Marcos is a fairly busy charger between Austin, Dallas and points south (San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and other coastal destinations). It’s also where San Antonio owners will pass to find good food :)

Especially if one or two stalls are down (as has happened), it’s crunch time.

When travelling from Houston to my son's various scout camps, this is a typical charge spot for us. Invariably one stall is dead and another one to two are 'low power'. I have never arrived when at least two other cars were not charging. So glad they may be expanding stalls. It is also one of the earliest superchargers in Texas, so I would suspect it needs some freshening up.

When travelling from Houston to my son's various scout camps, this is a typical charge spot for us. Invariably one stall is dead and another one to two are 'low power'. I have never arrived when at least two other cars were not charging. So glad they may be expanding stalls. It is also one of the earliest superchargers in Texas, so I would suspect it needs some freshening up.

Given the seemingly perennial problems at this site, it may be that Tesla has trouble getting "clean" electricity here for whatever reason and that this is creating repeated problems even though they have fixed them a number of times. Or it might just be as you said that since this is one of the earlier installations it uses older hardware which is more prone to failing than their newer generation gear.

I never really understood San Marcos, with it's 5 slots. Why did they not put in a even number?

As to usage, it is fairly busy at all times during the day, but particularly on weekends and during holiday shopping periods. In the hundreds of times I have Supercharged across the country, it is still the only one I have had to wait for a slot.

Under some circumstances, it is good to know that there is a free ChargePoint location here, more conveniently located for the Tanger half of the mall, for just parking and slow charging (about 20 mph). There have been a few times I have bulk charged at the SC, then moved to the L2 chargers for the rest of the shopping time.

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne
So that those of us in the know can have a charger to ourselves :p
But at the cost of having to park between two other cars while they are charging... I'll admit this is not as much of a problem at SCs as it is with free-swinging doors in other parking situations (since both cars would be Teslas), but still, other people's kids are not always as careful when getting out of the car.