Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santee, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting addition at Santee. Looks like a (temporary?) bank of three or four 72 kW urban chargers has been added to the 6 standard 120 kW chargers. Perhaps this is a short-term way to add capacity until a more permanent upgrade can be made?
20190825_193734.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jelloslug
Interesting addition at Santee. Looks like a (temporary?) bank of three or four 72 kW urban chargers has been added to the 6 standard 120 kW chargers. Perhaps this is a short-term way to add capacity until a more permanent upgrade can be made?
View attachment 446452
Yes, it's a mobile pallet. This style was first seen in public in the lead up to last Thanksgiving's holiday. Mainly in California, but also in a few other southwest locations. They've since been spotted further east. Only 2 of the posts will be energized and they will offer charging up to a max of 50 kW. The reason the pallet has 3 posts on it is so that they can always charge 2 vehicles even if the parking lot geometry is different. Different geometries would have different posts energized. Even though it uses the same hardware as a normal, 72 kW urban supercharger, experience at multiple locations has always been that the max rate of this style mobile pallet is 50 kW.

Supercharger pallet - Triple urban SCs

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
@BlueShift or @Chuq I think you can update supercharge.info to add two more stations (from 6 to 8). Even though this looks temporary, Tesla has recently been making permanent additions all up and down the I-95 corridor. I bet the permitting for the permanent install was held up, so they dropped in these temp units as a stopgap.

I charged there last night, and there was yellow caution tape around the new chargers. Fortunately there wasn't any shortage of the regular chargers while I was there, so I didn't test the new ones. This was the first charger I've been at that by default limited charging to 80%.

Reactions: Kacey Green
There were functioning V3 chargers in place on the other side of the wrapped ones in the photo and a few of us charged there.
On what do you base your assessment that the new chargers are V3?

By the way, the 72 kW palletized urban chargers are economically very inefficient at this location. Due to South Carolina Tier 1 (< 60 kW) & Tier 2 (> 60 kW) rates, when you charge at 72 kW, you're paying per minute as much as you would for 120 kW. So it ends up costing a lot more to get the same amount of juice. Not a fan of the temporary urban chargers here with the current pricing structure. I do hope the new ones are V3... I'll try to get a close look when I go through there on Sunday.

I charged at Santee yesterday morning. The new chargers are completely done and would appear to be operational, although when I plugged into one it said “charging will begin momentarily” or something similar on my screen. Waited a few moments and then moved to one of the older chargers which started charging in the usual amount of time. Never got above 120 kW but it was quite chilly, around 40 F. I started charging around 20% SOC.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and Enginerd
I'll add a few more details about the current state of Santee. The 2 new charging bollards were not lit Sunday PM, and I didn't bother trying to connect. Previously, Santee had old-school non-standard pairing. From left to right: 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B. Now they've added another "1A & 1B" to the right of 3B. I'm guessing they'll re-number this before the upgrade is complete. Interestingly, the red and white plastic cases for the new additions are old (already have spider webs with egg sacks).

It was dark and chilly, and while I didn't see any obvious new components behind the fence, I did get a bad photo of the spec sticker on one of the old bollards. I believe this is the standard info for a V2 charger, as expected. The new 1A 1B didn't have spec stickers, but a quick check indicated similar cable diameter for all 8 bollards, thus also not supporting the V3 SC theory.
20191215_190029_Santee_SC.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Spotted this i3 plugged in at Santee yesterday. I enjoyed how he took two spots to plug in. I was under the impression that the adapters would only work on level 2 Tesla chargers, not superchargers. Had a very brief discussion with the owner, and he claimed it did work...

View attachment 504474
It shouldn't work no way to indicate which car it is and that it has an active subscription. DC on J1772 does work but I don't know if any manufacturers have implemented it even Tesla doesn't do it on the standard plugs.

I didn't get a good picture of the adapter, but it looked a lot like the Lectron adapter. It did not have the two large lower pins, which I would expect for DC charging. I suppose someone could have hacked the supercharger communication and spoofed a real Tesla's info to trick the charger into working. My money says this guy was trying it out and wouldn't admit it didn't work.

I didn't get a good picture of the adapter, but it looked a lot like the Lectron adapter. It did not have the two large lower pins, which I would expect for DC charging. I suppose someone could have hacked the supercharger communication and spoofed a real Tesla's info to trick the charger into working. My money says this guy was trying it out and wouldn't admit it didn't work.
Since it does not have the two larger pins for the DC connection on the i3 CCS plug, it was completely impossible for it to work on an i3.

Heads up ... I've heard that Tesla is working on a new site south of this Santee site, just before the Georgia state line. "Working on it" could just mean paperwork at this point.

If anyone is passing through this area, and you have an extra 30 minutes or so on your hands, snoop around the 2-4 southernmost I-95 exits in South Carolina (Hardeeville and Ridgeland). Or see if you can find a building permit online. I don't want to start a separate thread for it just yet -- just giving you all a heads up to look for it.

Heads up ... I've heard that Tesla is working on a new site south of this Santee site, just before the Georgia state line. "Working on it" could just mean paperwork at this point.

If anyone is passing through this area, and you have an extra 30 minutes or so on your hands, snoop around the 2-4 southernmost I-95 exits in South Carolina (Hardeeville and Ridgeland). Or see if you can find a building permit online. I don't want to start a separate thread for it just yet -- just giving you all a heads up to look for it.
I specifically requested this one not too long ago. Something between Columbia and Savannah. It's a good location, I wouldn't be surprised at all they were looking at that area.