Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Shelby, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thank you guys... never really understood this charger anyway. If you are going to omaha, there is one there.. if you are going to sioux falls you can barely make it from omaha there anyway. This charger should have been put in Sioux City first. THEN maybe this one later. as a tesla owner you cant get anywhere in NW iowa (from Des Moines/Omaha) with a tesla, period. Unless you have a hotel stay or something... it sucks

Reactions: Cyberjr
thank you guys... never really understood this charger anyway. If you are going to omaha, there is one there.. if you are going to sioux falls you can barely make it from omaha there anyway. This charger should have been put in Sioux City first. THEN maybe this one later. as a tesla owner you cant get anywhere in NW iowa (from Des Moines/Omaha) with a tesla, period. Unless you have a hotel stay or something... it sucks

It's a perfect halfway point between Lincoln/DesMoines. and if you're coming from the east going to Sioux City you don't have to drop south to CB to charge. That's my rationale at least.

As for NW Iowa, earlier this year I drove an unconventional route to Minneapolis from Omaha. My first charge after I left Omaha was Worthington, MN. I arrived there with roughly 16% remaining, it's doable assuming either an S100D or LR Model 3. Although I see your point!

Just filling in and improving I-80 options. 183 miles from Grand Island, NE to Shelby, IA. Great for LR owners heading east along I-80.

The order in which work is done depends on getting the locations agreed, and whether they need a chain to make it of value.
I-94 in North Dakota has been held up by Alexandria, MN for example. (Construction on that will begin in the spring).

I get why its "needed" but not before other options. Same reason Bethany MO was so crucial (barely got there with my S85, and in the cold its hard with my LR 3). Sioux city just badly needs one. Im sure its coming... all good :) Ill definitely use this one in shelby. More than Council bluffs.

Reactions: FalconHeavy
Showed up one Tesla pages.

Tesla page showed details: Shelby, IA Supercharger | Tesla

UKvqev8.jpg

Last edited:
It's strange, the pin in Tesla's map is still grey but when you click on it it no longer says "coming soon" but gives the information that it would for an operational supercharger. Some sort of glitch, I guess. Hopefully @dunginhawk will be able to stop by tomorrow and share pics of an open supercharger.

Charged their twice today. 8 stalls, 1 pull in front way.
Biggest problem (and i told the owner of the restaurant) was that they put up parking bumpers between the car and the charger. So when you back in you literally have to hit them with your tires to make the cord reach your car. Kind of a pain in the ass. If they were back another foot, it would still allow the chargers to be protected without making us rub our tires each and every time.
Charge rates were 100-18kw.

Yeah< i dont think I can get from there to Orange city and back anyway... Just have to rent something unfortunately... Summer I would have made it work.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm planning on getting a Tesla Model 3 sometime soon. I live in Pella, IA and have family in Orange City and the Shelby charger definitely helps but it still doesn't quite get me there and back.

No, but you should be able to plug in to 110v overnight (if you are staying) and get about 4mph charge... so if you get a good 12 hours, maybe 50 miles. Given shelby to OC (by 2 lane) is 60mph you may be ok.
Also, im certain a car dealer in town has a charger you could use if you asked nicely.

Reactions: cyphear
I'm in a similar situation. I'm planning on getting a Tesla Model 3 sometime soon. I live in Pella, IA and have family in Orange City and the Shelby charger definitely helps but it still doesn't quite get me there and back.
If you use the Dows Supercharger you won’t have any issues getting to Orange City. Just have to use the backroads across the great state of Iowa.

If LeMars, Spencer (think of the tourism in the summer in Okoboji) or somewhere in that NW corner would be great. I'm hoping 2020 is when the secondary parts of the country will be filled in- still highly traveled places but without a major interstate. Think 75/59/71 hwys going up and down the Midwest.

There is very poor L2 coverage and better charging anywhere in that part of the state. :(