Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a look at the charging cables today and I believe they are the thinner ones so I'm taking a guess this will be 250 kW V3 stalls!!

Can confirm!
IMG_20191127_135304.jpg IMG_20191127_135251.jpg IMG_20191127_135255_MP.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191127_135304.jpg
    IMG_20191127_135304.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 123
That's cool!

Can anyone explain to me why the higher-power cables are indicative of the V3 chargers? Wouldn't you want more cable to transfer more power?
The thinner cables used on V3 stations use a liquid cooling system instead of passive, radiative cooling like the V2 cables. That's how they manage to get away with using thinner cables for stations providing higher power. But really the focus on the cables being the distinctive factor is dumb. It's like trying to figure out if an orchard has apple trees or orange trees, and instead of just looking at the fruit that's hanging on the branches, people keep trying to tell which one it is by closely examining the leaves. I mean, you can do it that way, but why bother? The fact that this was a V3 station was definitively and unambiguously known just by looking at the conduit stubs for the supercharger cabinets shown in the picture that ReddyLeaf posted on October 11th (reposted below). The patterns and layouts are quite different between V2 and V3. As are the supercharger cabinets themselves, if they are already on site to see. No need for close comparisons of cable thicknesses unless the stalls are the only thing visible.

[NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]
836784fc-3c95-40a3-8805-a79dbc702e45-jpeg.465057

[/NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]

The thinner cables used on V3 stations use a liquid cooling system instead of passive, radiative cooling like the V2 cables. That's how they manage to get away with using thinner cables for stations providing higher power. But really the focus on the cables being the distinctive factor is dumb. It's like trying to figure out if an orchard has apple trees or orange trees, and instead of just looking at the fruit that's hanging on the branches, people keep trying to tell which one it is by closely examining the leaves. I mean, you can do it that way, but why bother? The fact that this was a V3 station was definitively and unambiguously known just by looking at the conduit stubs for the supercharger cabinets shown in the picture that ReddyLeaf posted on October 11th (reposted below). The patterns and layouts are quite different between V2 and V3. As are the supercharger cabinets themselves, if they are already on site to see. No need for close comparisons of cable thicknesses unless the stalls are the only thing visible.

[NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]

[/NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]
To the untrained eye, the cables are the fruit in your analogy while the conduits are the leaves.

[NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]

[/NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]

Liquid cooling - nice! Thanks for the explanation, everyone!

[NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]

[/NOT A CURRENT PICTURE]

I mean....okay. Yeah, not everyone here is going to be able to "know just by looking at the conduit stubs for the supercharger cabinets shown in the picture." For 99% of us, if there's not the 250kw signage, we're going to look at the cable thickness to figure it out.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I mean....okay. Yeah, not everyone here is going to be able to "know just by looking at the conduit stubs for the supercharger cabinets shown in the picture." For 99% of us, if there's not the 250kw signage, we're going to look at the cable thickness to figure it out.

I have seen pics posted of the cabinets for the North Bend and Spokane locations, they are v3 cabinets.
v2 have 2 exhaust ports out one side for cooling and are narrower and taller.
v3 have a grill around the very top of the entire cabinet and are squat and fatter.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Araman0
Someone forgot to tell the utility that these are 250 kW charging stations. Their 750 kVa transformer will glow when all stalls are charging at max.

Yes, I'm aware that pad mounted transformers can withstand some overloading without significant loss of life, but 750 kVA seems woefully undersized for an 8-stall SC. Are we positive this is a v3 station? Or is it a v3 with v2 infrastructure?

Someone forgot to tell the utility that these are 250 kW charging stations. Their 750 kVa transformer will glow when all stalls are charging at max.

Yes, I'm aware that pad mounted transformers can withstand some overloading without significant loss of life, but 750 kVA seems woefully undersized for an 8-stall SC. Are we positive this is a v3 station? Or is it a v3 with v2 infrastructure?
Tesla must have assumed that chances are low that eight low SOC vehicles will arrive at the same time. If they do, then it will be transformer limited. Since charging normally ramps down in 10-15 min anyway, they must have done some kind of use cost benefit analysis using the bank teller problem and number of EVs traveling through. But don’t worry, by next Christmas/Thanksgiving will still be waytoo small.:(

Edit: Maybe they’re planning a 16-stall V3 SC in Ritzville

Reactions: Rocky_H

750 kVA would be sufficient if the site also includes battery storage. V3 Superchargers have a DC power bus that ties all of the charging cabinets and battery storage together. A full site for an extended period of time would deplete the batteries, causing the site to throttle to the max AC input, but it would be able to keep up with full loads for normal non-holiday travel. An 8 stall site would normally get a 1,000 kVA transformer, but sometimes you're limited to what the grid has to offer in a particular location.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Paul42
750 kVA would be sufficient if the site also includes battery storage. V3 Superchargers have a DC power bus that ties all of the charging cabinets and battery storage together. A full site for an extended period of time would deplete the batteries, causing the site to throttle to the max AC input, but it would be able to keep up with full loads for normal non-holiday travel. An 8 stall site would normally get a 1,000 kVA transformer, but sometimes you're limited to what the grid has to offer in a particular location.
750 KVA xfrmr can be overloaded for awhile. There is enough load diversity due to SOC, number of vehicles, etc. It's my belief that the locations are made ready for Power Pack later if not immediately.

Reactions: Big Earl
FWIW, someone in the PNW FB group said that the Tesla tech that was fixing the Seaside, OR supercharger was on his way to Spokane when he had to turn around and go fix Seaside after the accident there. One could make the assumption that he was headed to this supercharger to activate it, so hopefully he will be headed here once his work in Seaside is done.

I found a miss utility dig ticket for installing utility service on behalf of Tesla at the Petro gas station (TA truck stop) right off I-90 out by the airport: ticket # 19295748. Which led me to the active L&I electrical permit for the work showing it would be a "Supercharging Station" with 8 stalls and that inspections of some conduit work had already taken place: 3243261E.

What: New 8 stall supercharger under construction at the Petro Stopping Center near Spokane International airport.
Address: 10506 W Aero Rd, Spokane, WA 99224

GPS: 47.590327, -117.561986

View attachment 452682

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

It is up and going now!!! Thank you!