Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hines, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 4:15 PM MDT today it showed as open with one stall in use. The navigation plans routes through it now. I'm banking on it being open on Tuesday as well.
It’s not showing up in my Nav. Could you post a screenshot? This might change the route I take home but I’d like some more certainty.

EDIT: never mind, I did a reset and it showed up. Thanks!

Could you post a screenshot?
Here you go. I'll update supercharge.info now.

hines.jpeg

That is a sort of absurd label for this location. US20 is an east-west highway; it just happens to have a short bend to the north entering the Hines/Burns area before continuing east just outside Burns. US395 is duplexed with US20 in that spot. US395 is a north-south highway.

It has been five years since I drove into Burns, so I don't recall if the reassurance signs have directional markers affixed or not.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
That is a sort of absurd label for this location. US20 is an east-west highway; it just happens to have a short bend to the north entering the Hines/Burns area before continuing east just outside Burns. US395 is duplexed with US20 in that spot. US395 is a north-south highway.

It has been five years since I drove into Burns, so I don't recall if the reassurance signs have directional markers affixed or not.
I just "drove" through on street view, and the only one I saw on the N-S segment said "West". So indeed, "North" is not just wrong but 100% confusing.

The N designation has nothing to do with the direction of the hwy. Like most cities, it is simply a designation of wether the address is north or south of a cross street that delineates the north side of a town fron the south side. Not confusing at all.
Yes, the location is on the north side of Hines. The north/south dividing line appears to be Barnes Ave, where Hines City Park is located. The highway is the east/west dividing line for cross streets.

The N designation has nothing to do with the direction of the hwy. Like most cities, it is simply a designation of wether the address is north or south of a cross street that delineates the north side of a town fron the south side. Not confusing at all.
Exactly. It's the north side of Hines. Any specific designation seems unnecessary though. It's not as if Hines is likely to get a 2nd supercharger any time soon.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GHammer
I think the lengthy name for Hines is unnecessary as well. Odd.
I am thinking too much about this, but I think this may be a misunderstanding on Tesla's website devs, because the Tesla map still shows that a new supercharger is coming right next to the recently built one, which I think is very unlikely at best.
chrome_H3DXOB8thq.png

I think whoever updated the website to add the newly built supercharger thought "Oh there is another one being built right next to it! I guess I should put in the location to distinguish the two" and considering that whoever was updating the website probably had a few to add that day, didn't consider the fact that they were two locations in the middle of (relatively) nowhere. I also think having the "Coming Soon" being in Burns and the actual location being in Hines helped the situation.
chrome_UwGKpU45Sm.png

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I am thinking too much about this, but I think this may be a misunderstanding on Tesla's website devs, because the Tesla map still shows that a new supercharger is coming right next to the recently built one, which I think is very unlikely at best. View attachment 668254
I think whoever updated the website to add the newly built supercharger thought "Oh there is another one being built right next to it! I guess I should put in the location to distinguish the two" and considering that whoever was updating the website probably had a few to add that day, didn't consider the fact that they were two locations in the middle of (relatively) nowhere. I also think having the "Coming Soon" being in Burns and the actual location being in Hines helped the situation.View attachment 668255
This has happened more than a few times before. The coming soon location will drop off eventually.

Which one was broken, the Chademo?
Sorry, just saw your post...not that is matters since the supercharger opened! But yep, the Chargepoint system was throwing errors and their tech support could not get it to turn on remotely. That's the CHADEMO. I ended up using the J1772 for an hour and making it to John Day where, thankfully and for once, the Chargepoint charger was working. Another Tesla driver was stuck there as well. I reported the charger as broken to Chargepoint (which their tech support can't do for some reason), and I received an email within a couple of hours saying it was fixed which was BS on a Sunday afternoon. I don't understand why the Chargepoint system is so unreliable. I remember having to use the Snoqualmie Pass chargepoint frequently in winter and it would fail to turn on 100% of the time using the access fob, and then I would spend 30 minutes on the phone with them while tech support rebooted it remotely over and over until it finally worked. What a sh*tty operation they run. Those memories make me never want to consider purchasing a non-Tesla EV as I would be relying on the incompetent 3rd party charging networks.

Yep. I remember being a somewhat new owner (in the first few months) and getting excited that I would soak up some level 2 charging at a zoo so when I was heading out of town I would be fully charged and giving up after 20 minutes and three of the different chargers. I knew I had a supercharger just outside of town and plenty of range to make it. But if I was without the supercharger network, that would have been stressful and really made me worry. I probably would have started to hit chargers when at like 50% battery instead of running it down more (and people think I'm cautions by trying to pull in around 20%). It only takes a couple times having a tricky trip because of non-working chargers to really build a habit of only using 100 or 120 miles of your ~240 mile range before looking for a charger and running it back up to 90% or 100%. That means you're always at the slowest part of the charge and often sitting just as long as if you had pulled in at 10% or 15%.

And we’re the power users posting on the internet about this and hunting down superchargers via permits. Could you imagine if you’re a “normal” mom taking the kids into the city 75 miles away to spend a day at the zoo or museum before heading back home? Even in your 240 mile EV you might be really nervous doing that trip without charging, especially if you know it’s 75 miles away on the highway and you burn 100 or so miles of rated range just getting there…

Chargers need to be super easy, fail into a working mode (if they lose connectivity they just start charging as soon as plugged in, etc), and absolutely insanely reliable, like medical equipment reliable. At least until we have them at every exit along the road and every block in downtown…

Yep, you nailed it. My post moments ago was railing about issues in your last paragraph. Every time a friend or family ask "Have you heard about the (any non-Tesla manufacturer's) EV", I respond with "Yep, but I would never buy one", and then I tell them about ANY of my experiences using non-Tesla charging networks. I'd never want to road trip in anything but a Tesla. Heck, I remember trying to use a CHADEMO in a parking garage in Seattle once (because the EV parking was free and about the same price as paying to park elsewhere in the garage), but the CHADEMO had a connectivity error on the screen because it had no cell service 3 floors underground and therefore could not be turned on. Who the heck designed that POS system? That was probably 5 years ago and I am still pissed off about it and did not even need to charge.

Every time I see Ford or GM brag about their tens-of-thousands of chargers throughout the country, I just chuckle... and wince. They are duping consumers with advertising like that. Nothing comes close to Tesla's charging network.
Yes. Tesla's supercharger network is currently unmatched but I hope Tesla doesn't gain a false sense of security. Even through they have a lead, if they don't maintain the advantage, competitors could just as easily catch up.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
This opening is sort of amusingly timed. We had picked Steen's Mountain (which is for sure on the future vacation list, but where we've never been) as the worst case / most difficult EV trip we could reasonably imagine doing from home. And a week after we take delivery, there's a supercharger down the road, heh.

Next on the list was Wallowa lake, though that has two superchargers within 130mi, and a CHAdeMO 80mi out. Not nearly as hard.

Reactions: goneskiian
This opening is sort of amusingly timed. We had picked Steen's Mountain (which is for sure on the future vacation list, but where we've never been) as the worst case / most difficult EV trip we could reasonably imagine doing from home. And a week after we take delivery, there's a supercharger down the road, heh.

Next on the list was Wallowa lake, though that has two superchargers within 130mi, and a CHAdeMO 80mi out. Not nearly as hard.
I have done Wallowa Lake, in my first road trip with our MYLR. Really easy, because there's a destination charger in Joseph - just be sure to call ahead to reserve it.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian