Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sudbury, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They'll send someone out to test each stall, label the bollards and then flip the switch. With a location like Sudbury, it might take a while to get someone out there, but hopefully not too long!
They had all that labeling and signage in the storage box on-site... but you're right, they probably will get someone from Tesla to test the stalls. Otherwise maybe they will ask for a volunteer in Sudbury to sacrifice their car haha.

South from Victoria? Doesn't that put you in the Pacific ocean? :)

Actually, it puts you on the Olympic Peninsula, but you have to be careful to stop on the MV Coho ferry along the way.

I'm in Timmins right now. See earlier amusing discussion in this thread. I suppose I should update the location on my profile, but... it's -22 right now... I don't plan to be in Timmins forever. :)

Had an article done up in a local Business magazine. Tesla won't respond to media until it has been turned on:

Tesla plugs into Sudbury - Northern Ontario Business

From that article: "Installation on the Tesla SuperCharger, which has stalls to charge eight vehicles at one time, was completed in December in the parking lot of a SmartCentre retail area in the city’s south end." Is that confirmation enough?

From that article: "Installation on the Tesla SuperCharger, which has stalls to charge eight vehicles at one time, was completed in December in the parking lot of a SmartCentre retail area in the city’s south end." Is that confirmation enough?
I don't know if you were intending to sound condescending... it hasn't been turned on yet, there are a couple of things they are waiting for, mainly Tesla to test the stalls and put signs up. I was the one they interviewed for that article since Tesla did not respond to media requests (including mine!).

Currently it's -28 degrees Celsius so anyone with an EV is having poor range haha.

Reactions: rypalmer
I don't know if you were intending to sound condescending... it hasn't been turned on yet, there are a couple of things they are waiting for, mainly Tesla to test the stalls and put signs up. I was the one they interviewed for that article since Tesla did not respond to media requests (including mine!).

Currently it's -28 degrees Celsius so anyone with an EV is having poor range haha.

Sorry, no intention to sound condescending! Just knowing that some of these locations aren't exactly around the corner from most people, so aren't easy for someone to pop around and check, and wanted to know if "was completed in December" was reliable enough to class the location as "open"?

Sorry, no intention to sound condescending! Just knowing that some of these locations aren't exactly around the corner from most people, so aren't easy for someone to pop around and check, and wanted to know if "was completed in December" was reliable enough to class the location as "open"?
Based on accuracy of media reports in general, I would say no, this is not enough! We need it to either show up as open on Tesla's website (or the nav), or have an owner plug in and post pics, preferably all of the above.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Chuq
Haha I hear you - I am keeping an eye on it for everyone here and will post as soon as it's fully classed as "open". All of the electrical is now installed and turned "on" so according to my contact at the utility, they are just waiting on "Tesla" - they did not know what that meant since Tesla has been fairy tight lipped about this install for some reason, but like someone suggested above, they are probably going to test each stall to ensure it's functioning properly.

I will get some spy shots if that happens :)

Do you even make it to Sudbury from Timmins at that temperature? It's a good 300km drive in not so perfect conditions if memory serves me right, no?:eek:

It's over 300 km, and yes it's a bit anxiety-inducing if you don't take it seriously. I can make it on 75% of a charge if I go the speed limit and sacrifice comfort (aka the climate control is mostly off). That was at about -5 Celsius, however, I haven't tried it at -20 C. I top up at the Tru-Nor truck centre on the west side of Timmins - charge to 100% and heat the cabin ridiculously warm to begin with.

As it turns out I won't be making the trip this weekend. If/when I do the drive in truly cold temperatures, I'll let you know how it goes.

It's over 300 km, and yes it's a bit anxiety-inducing if you don't take it seriously. I can make it on 75% of a charge if I go the speed limit and sacrifice comfort (aka the climate control is mostly off). That was at about -5 Celsius, however, I haven't tried it at -20 C. I top up at the Tru-Nor truck centre on the west side of Timmins - charge to 100% and heat the cabin ridiculously warm to begin with.

As it turns out I won't be making the trip this weekend. If/when I do the drive in truly cold temperatures, I'll let you know how it goes.

Done it. I would not be attempting that trip with anything less than a 100, at anything under -15.

Have you tried out the chademo charger in Timmins? I was thinking about renting a tesla in Toronto and driving to kapuskasing but I think the drive would take too long, and cheaper to fly.

Have you tried out the chademo charger in Timmins? I was thinking about renting a tesla in Toronto and driving to kapuskasing but I think the drive would take too long, and cheaper to fly.
Not everyone feels this way but my opinion is that if I can afford a $100k car then I can afford to fly if I am going more than 500km. I used to drive a lot when I was young, I worked for Nortel testing the fibre optic line from Toronto to Thunder Bay so I drove that route multiple times in both directions on Hwy 11, and I love my Model S, but I have zero interest in driving long distances. My time is worth something and there are many things that I would rather do than stare at the blacktop, even in a Tesla with AP.

Not everyone feels this way but my opinion is that if I can afford a $100k car then I can afford to fly if I am going more than 500km. I used to drive a lot when I was young, I worked for Nortel testing the fibre optic line from Toronto to Thunder Bay so I drove that route multiple times in both directions on Hwy 11, and I love my Model S, but I have zero interest in driving long distances. My time is worth something and there are many things that I would rather do than stare at the blacktop, even in a Tesla with AP.
That is true. I don't mind driving long distances, but I don't like driving on Hwy 69 with the 2 lanes, especially with my kids. The highway to Timmins is terrible from Sudbury, I drove it twice and won't do it again lol.

That being said, I checked the progress on the Super Chargers today and all of the signs are up but they have tarpped up pretty much everything on site and it's still gated off. They are waiting for someone from Tesla to verify everything is working before opening it up. They *hope* to have it open by Christmas, still.

To each his own.

I once drove from Tofino to St. John's just for the hell of it. I will be making the trip again once the superchargers are completed :)

I have not tried out the CHAdeMO charger, because I have no need for it in Timmins. But I have tried other KSI installations, and I would absolutely positively NOT recommend relying on any charger they have installed. I've never gotten the one in New Liskeard to work, and others have been limited to 20 kW at outrageous cost. If you do have to go through Timmins, I would highly recommend stopping at the Tru Nor truck centre - 68A @ 240V =16 kW, for free. And it always works, no card or phone app required.

If you're an adventurous sort, then you could give it a try, but in the winter it is not going to be fun and you're going to be spending hours and hours waiting for charging. I would definitely not recommend it. The only reason I do it is because I need to have a car in Timmins. And I've only done it a few times - usually I fly in and out.

Now I am just of the opposite conviction. I hate everything about airports and being crammed into flying metal sardine cans (and no, I have absolutely no fear of flying). I would much rather drive my Model S. It is a very personal thing but I resent any trip that is ruined by the airport experience at both ends.