Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sutherlin, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had perfect weather, on the original date it was snowing, and today, the day after, it is raining.
Here are two TV News clips:

KEZI TV ABC Channel 9 Eugene Oregon
Two slightly different versions,

1st broadcast at 4:31pm,

2nd broadcast at 8:05pm,

Early drone shot when we 'only' had a few more cars than chargers
I believe this drone photo was taken by Deepak Amiraddy, the owner of the lot the superchargers are on.

Grand Openiong Drone.jpg

These types of events are awesome.. I’d love to do some data sampling during an event like this When so many participants might be data input friendly.

I’ve love to have EVERYONE charging, and get a quick roll-up of every cars SOC and everyone’s current charge rate to get an understanding of how the overall number of chargers can support that many users simultaneously. Sure, we have occasions like that during holiday peak periods, etc., but maybe not with the same audience all on the same page.

The other questions I would have is, during an event like this when everyone is at least pulled in and in a stall for a photo at least, is there any consideration for those Tesla owners simply traveling through and needing to find a charger? I would hope/think that during an event like this IF ppl aren’t really there to charge, leaving 10-15% of the stalls on one end opened up for those cars who really just need this location for their journey needs?

These types of events are awesome.. I’d love to do some data sampling during an event like this When so many participants might be data input friendly.

I’ve love to have EVERYONE charging, and get a quick roll-up of every cars SOC and everyone’s current charge rate to get an understanding of how the overall number of chargers can support that many users simultaneously. Sure, we have occasions like that during holiday peak periods, etc., but maybe not with the same audience all on the same page.

The other questions I would have is, during an event like this when everyone is at least pulled in and in a stall for a photo at least, is there any consideration for those Tesla owners simply traveling through and needing to find a charger? I would hope/think that during an event like this IF ppl aren’t really there to charge, leaving 10-15% of the stalls on one end opened up for those cars who really just need this location for their journey needs?
Agreed, take a couple minutes for the photo op and drone shot then move out if you don’t need to charge. Hence my ICEing comment above that someone apparently didn’t appreciate.

Tesla knows these cars are parked at a sc and not charging. Surely they could push a notification to remind people to not block stalls if they aren’t charging.

That's the data that drives the mobile app. Tesla has access to it and already has at least one location trigger I know of. It'll automatically put the app into service mode and check you in when your car is parked at a service center and has an appointment.

If you're ever in a crash you can request your logs related to the event. Get your exact location, speed, steering angle, pedal positions, etc.

How would they know someone is parked at a SpC if they are not plugged in?
Tesla knows where you car is and where their superchargers are. Pretty easy to figure out if you are parked at a supercharger and not plugged in. Would be a simple geofence to build into the system to just pop up a reminder similar to the ones initially limiting charging to 80% at busy superchargers.

Tesla knows where you car is and where their superchargers are.
Tesla claims that they do not: Privacy Notice | Tesla

Your Tesla generates vehicle, diagnostic, infotainment system, and Autopilot data. To protect your privacy from the moment you take delivery, Tesla does not associate the vehicle data generated by your driving with your identity or account by default. As a result, no one but you would have knowledge of your activities, location or a history of where you’ve been. Your in-vehicle experiences are also protected. From features such as voice commands, to surfing the web on your touchscreen, your information is kept private and secure, ensuring the infotainment data collected is not linked to your identity or account.

Location Services: Your Tesla vehicle uses location to power features such as in-vehicle maps, navigation, or mobile app location services. Location Services may use a combination of GPS, Bluetooth, IP address, and Wi-Fi and mobile towers to figure out where you are. To protect your privacy, location data is either processed directly without leaving your vehicle, is in a form that does not personally identify you, or remains inaccessible to Tesla. For safety purposes, your vehicle's location may be used when you experience a safety event (such as a collision, an airbag deployment, or automatic emergency braking event) to aid response efforts. This means that unless captured as a result of a safety event— Tesla does not link your location to your identity or know where you’ve been. You may also choose to enable or disable the collection of ‘Road Segment Data Analytics’ at any time within your vehicle’s touch screen by navigating to Software > Data Sharing. Please note, some advanced features such as real-time traffic and intelligent routing rely on such data.

Of course, the car knows where it is, and can report to the Tesla servers that a vehicle is at/near a Supercharger. (Which is probably how the automated service center check-in process works.)

Tesla claims that they do not: Privacy Notice | Tesla

Of course, the car knows where it is, and can report to the Tesla servers that a vehicle is at/near a Supercharger. (Which is probably how the automated service center check-in process works.)
"To protect your privacy from the moment you take delivery, Tesla does not associate the vehicle data generated by your driving with your identity or account by default."

"To protect your privacy, location data is either processed directly without leaving your vehicle, is in a form that does not personally identify you, or remains inaccessible to Tesla."

Those notices just claim to not identify you and tie you to a specific location. There is nothing that says Tesla can't be identified when you are near a supercharger. All it needs to say is "a Tesla is approaching, send courtesy notice" instead of "MP3Mike's Tesla is approaching, send MP3Mike a courtesy notice."

The other way is to just program it into the Maps and have it alert when it is near a SC ("processed without leaving the vehicle").