Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sutherlin, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it's Open.
Just charged there today.
Ran into Paul Zagers whose white M3 is in the background
Big Meetup Soon! Stay tuned...

Sutherlin Supercharger Feb 2023h.jpg

When this was first announced I expected (hoped?) it would have a lounge like the large ones in California. Still very cool though.
There is still a lot of probably on that lot, between the SCs and the Starbucks that doesn’t seem to be dedicated yet - so something COULD Happen. I’m hoping for either a lounge, or at least a bathroom setup like the outsides at Kettleman, and MAYBE some of that automated retail pods they have in Europe.. just for funzies.

There is still a lot of probably on that lot, between the SCs and the Starbucks that doesn’t seem to be dedicated yet - so something COULD Happen. I’m hoping for either a lounge, or at least a bathroom setup like the outsides at Kettleman, and MAYBE some of that automated retail pods they have in Europe.. just for funzies.
Just needs some sort of walking path to the Starbucks.

Tesla's find us website has updated this evening with a previously unknown location: Sutherlin, OR - target Q4 2022. Any leads on this one?

View attachment 764138
It’s officially opened as of 2/17/24. Our club is planning a meet-up on March 4th where our plan is to fill all 51 stall for a photo-op. If your interested in joint us, we’ll be posting the event details soon -visit www.teslaownersoregon.com

I'll second this. It would sure make life easier when over on the coast.
Should take a lot of pressure off the local Superchargers. I just wish instead of putting one in Creswell they’d put one in Florence. The pain is much greater along the coast then it is to do things along the 5 corridor.
If Tesla had data showing the need for 50 stalls on the coast they’d do it. I know it’s a chicken and egg scenario (with no charging you won’t go out there) but they obviously see more demand for commuter type travels along I5 than they do for vacation travel to the coast. Once you get there you usually stay for a day or two and can find L2 charging options to fill you up before you leave and the quick charge demand isn’t as high. Yes it is convenient but it isn’t necessary.

If Tesla had data showing the need for 50 stalls on the coast they’d do it. I know it’s a chicken and egg scenario (with no charging you won’t go out there) but they obviously see more demand for commuter type travels along I5 than they do for vacation travel to the coast. Once you get there you usually stay for a day or two and can find L2 charging options to fill you up before you leave and the quick charge demand isn’t as high. Yes it is convenient but it isn’t necessary.
Some of us live on the coast though. 🫤

Reactions: Ogre
Some of us live on the coast though. 🫤
And you regularly take long enough trips up/down the coast where you only stop long enough for supercharging to make sense? 30-45 minutes? L2 while shopping or whatever wouldn't be enough? It would need to be 75-100+ each way to put it out of the reach of a round trip without charging. Tesla wants to enable the vast majority of people to make normal trips between normal destinations. It is charging on the way to these destinations that concern them. Not charging at the actual destinations. They seem to think L2 is more important at destinations since you will be at the destination for longer than 30 minutes. Notice until recently, they have not had ANY SC in Portland proper.

I was talking about not installing Creswell, Creswell has 8 stalls. A 50 stall charger station in Florence would be a waste, an 8 stall charger would be ideal.

It’s right at the intersection of 2 highways and if you are going from inland to a coastal destination and back, you are in a bit of a bind. Lots of destinations lack L2 chargers and I’ve found chargers in various states of broken on a single trip to Yachats. If there were available, reliable and known good charging locations I wouldn’t have made that comment.

The charger coming to Newport will be a big help, but really there should be one at all the intersections between numbered highways.

And you regularly take long enough trips up/down the coast where you only stop long enough for supercharging to make sense? 30-45 minutes? L2 while shopping or whatever wouldn't be enough? It would need to be 75-100+ each way to put it out of the reach of a round trip without charging. Tesla wants to enable the vast majority of people to make normal trips between normal destinations. It is charging on the way to these destinations that concern them. Not charging at the actual destinations. They seem to think L2 is more important at destinations since you will be at the destination for longer than 30 minutes. Notice until recently, they have not had ANY SC in Portland proper.
I do, actually. The distances on the coast tend to be more than I think you expect. The destinations often have little or no charging, and are not going to require hours of stay either.

Reactions: Ogre
Typical trip to the coast for me, drive from Eugene to Florence, drive north/ south a ways. Camp or overnight in a hotel. Discover the public chargers which are listed are broken. Drive up the coast another 10 miles only to discover the public charger there is broken as well. The listed destination charger is for guests only at most hotels.

I have bikes on the car so range is compromised or it probably would be less an issue normally, but coastal trips have been a big pain in my side. Newport will help, but having both inbound highways with charging would mean I’d never have to drive 10+ miles out of my way to charge.

Typical trip to the coast for me, drive from Eugene to Florence, drive north/ south a ways. Camp or overnight in a hotel. Discover the public chargers which are listed are broken. Drive up the coast another 10 miles only to discover the public charger there is broken as well. The listed destination charger is for guests only at most hotels.

I have bikes on the car so range is compromised or it probably would be less an issue normally, but coastal trips have been a big pain in my side. Newport will help, but having both inbound highways with charging would mean I’d never have to drive 10+ miles out of my way to charge.
Have you attempted to use the CCS chargers as part of the EVCS highway out there? They have a few out there that are very convenient due to the supercharger gap

Have you attempted to use the CCS chargers as part of the EVCS highway out there? They have a few out there that are very convenient due to the supercharger gap
There is no high speed charger in Florence at all so while it would save me from driving all the way to Lincoln City or Bandon! To charge up, not a huge help. I did end up driving past a CCS charger, but when I did it Tesla was not selling their CCS adaptor in the US. I have the adaptor now, but it’s likely the Newport Supercharger will be in before I have a chance to put it to use. :rolleyes: 🤣

Tesla is adding a charger at Coos Bay and Newport which helps quite a bit.

Reactions: totoro722