Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Taree, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's pretty typical there will be a 11kw switch inside the kiosk transformer.
Well not really inside the transformer - the switchgear will be inside the cabinet, next to the transformer (the latter being the bit that converts between HV and LV).

But yeah I would expect them to remove the section of 11kV (the upper 3 conductors) between the two poles, and instead loop it through the new substation via the underground conduits.

I would expect them to remove the section of 11kV (the upper 3 conductors) between the two poles, and instead loop it through the new substation via the underground conduits.

If they did that, would they then need to anchor those two poles with cable stays to stop them leaning over? Which is a bit more groundwork with driven anchors or deep concrete plinths. I don’t know if they can provide the same support with the reduced number of conductors between the poles. It will be interesting to see.

Why would a break even be necessary?
The 11kv network is a ring so any section can be isolated while not turning everyone off for maintenance purposes. I would guess adding a switch inside the HV side of the transformer cabinet is that the transformer can be connected to feed coming in one way while isolating the feed coming from the opposite direction. Or vise versa.

Wow. So much conjecture just because I showed 2 poles with cables. 😁

Ok I will throw my 2 cents worth into this discussion. I think it is nothing but a 2 input fault tolerant feed from each pole to the substation transformer ie "circuit breakers" mounted on 1 pole so the Superchargers can be fed from the Taree side or the Chatham side during a fault in a certain area so that fault can be isolated to that particular area. 11kV will still run between both poles.

But hey I could be wrong but evidence shown in my photo of one "new" pole on the ground maybe applicable. But the question is will any one else see that clue?

But if I am right it's nice to know us EV drivers are special enough, because we rely on those electrons to move us around, we deserve special attention to be able to charge.;)😁

I hope my local friends in the blackout area feel the same.🤔😇

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: moa999
I probably should have explained it better but by "2 input" I mean input from 1 pole, 3 phases down to transformer, and the second input, from the other pole, also 3 phase down to transformer but I hope others understood what I meant. ☹️
Yes (and if you do that, it would defeat the whole idea leaving the feeder connected between the poles as well, because then you can't isolate the two sections and the substation).

This isn't some special deal for Superchargers by the way, it's a pretty standard arrangement for padmount/kiosk substations.

I probably should have explained it better but by "2 input" I mean input from 1 pole, 3 phases down to transformer, and the second input, from the other pole, also 3 phase down to transformer but I hope others understood what I meant. ☹️
Yes (and if you do that, it would defeat the whole idea leaving the feeder connected between the poles as well, because then you can't isolate the two sections and the substation).

This isn't some special deal for Superchargers by the way, it's a pretty standard arrangement for padmount/kiosk substations.
Ok🤔, where from your reply do I start because I think you/we are getting confused. It also appears to me you are getting, how shall I put it nicely? Hmm, "assertive" or even "angry". But I could be wrong.

Now l suggest we start with somethings we maybe able to agree to.

So we have a Supercharger substation that needs to be connected to the 3 phases, or the 3 wires on top of those poles, of the 11kV (11,000 volts) part of the grid. So far I am just trying to make it easier for as many members as possible on this forum to follow in this discussion.

Now in this case of the Tesla Superchargers in Taree I have shown photos of 2 existing poles with cables lying on the ground obviously I think waiting for for their connection.

Now here comes the confusion to this whole saga IMHO. I think you do "not" need 2 poles to send 3 simple phase wires down to a substation transformer in normal circumstances. From my experiences with substation transformers, I have one sitting on my land supplying my engineering factory, 1 pole with 3 wires are sent underground to send to the substation. Hell I even have photos taken today of the pole out the front of my factory. No special 2 pole setup just 1 pole with 3 phases or wires.

A simple join to the 3 phases it appears to me through "circuit breakers" and wires run down the conduit underground to Substation:

1717550761087.jpeg

And here is the "padmount/kiosk substation" next to my factory:

1717551136401.jpeg

So simple IMO, 3 phases or 3 wire feed connection to a transformer.

But the Tesla site will have I think 6 wire feed.

So tell us what you think is going on that we need a 6 wire connection to a simple substation and you already know what I think it might be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quickst
............ which I believe is more or less what you were saying too?
Thanks for the diagram/schematic.:)

No it's not what I meant when I wrote this previously:
Ok I will throw my 2 cents worth into this discussion. I think it is nothing but a 2 input fault tolerant feed from each pole to the substation transformer
So I hope you don't mind if I modify your diagram/schematic to show what I mean.

1717571744337.jpeg

The separate cross-arm I mention in the modification of your diagram in the top left above shows here I think On one of the poles lying on the ground at the site in Taree.

1717571988016.jpeg

compared to the other one with only 2 cross-arms:

1717572323035.jpeg

But another grid fault electrically driven contactors will be needed on the other feed side as well I think for my "guesswork" to succeed. 🤔

Hope you understand what I am trying to convey?

Edit. Maybe they will put another cross-arm on the other pole?

Last edited:
Reactions: Quickst