Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Taree, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone next in Taree can check where (near which pole) the 11kV contactors are located
I think they appear here going towards the downtown Taree direction and I have shown them in red.

1717646383346.jpeg

Reactions: Quickst
I still don't see why a break is necessary to keep a ring network.
It's not as far as what I have seen. Simple 3 wire down through circuit breakers joined to the wires is all that is required in normal circumstances for substations is my experience. But to require a 2x3 wire feed from different poles is certainly unusual circumstances IMHO.

Maybe it's just parallel feed because of the underground size of cable limitations for a site that requires large quantities of power?

I still can't believe they would ever send the 11kV ring feed through the ground with all the thermal limitations of being underground compare to air cooled and as well as it is not necessary. But hey that is just my engineering opinion and I admit it has me intrigued.

But we might know how it all works next week so as they say " Place your bets". 😁

Reactions: Quickst
The substation outside Coles just over Macquarie St has two feeds as well (in that case, one comes from the feeder on Wynter St and the other comes from the feeder on Albert St).
Lol. Thanks Sir but if I keep walking round here with my eyes pointed up towards the top of power poles and taking pictures and such the locals round here will think I am mad. ;)

Oops. I forgot. They already did. 🤪

Dropped in late this afternoon on the way home as Gosling Electrical and Essential Energy were finishing up replacing poles and running cables etc. Managed to have a lengthy conversation with the Gosling site manager.

Now as for all the conjecture here previously, about those 2 poles with their 2 separate 3 phase wire cables, when asked what was the need for a parallel feed he replied he didn't understand it himself earlier but now considers it as a redundancy measure in case of a single underground cable failure as 1 pole will be only hooked up to the substation at any one time he said ie they were leaving the site today with only 1 pole's 3 phase wires connected. The other pole will have the top of pole fuse cut-outs (switches) disconnected he said.

Once they left today he said they were finished on site in Taree and he thinks Tesla may commission the site maybe next week.

Also when asked by myself why the stoppage until recently the site manager said it was entirely due to the Supercharger teams layoffs. He was told at the time to stop immediately on the Taree site until further notice.

He mentioned other sites they have future NSW subsidised contracts with Tesla including the Coffs area and Woolgoolga coming up I think he said.

IMHO the site manager was a very informative and a great guy to meet and chat with. Also ran into a long time mate from my past from the Essential Energy crew, a long time linesman, so all in all I was very grateful I stopped.

Managed a quick couple of photos:

1718184203234.jpeg

1 pole:

1718184273558.jpeg

And the 2nd pole:

1718184343697.jpeg

He mentioned other sites they have future NSW subsidised contracts with Tesla including the Coffs area and Woolgoolga coming up I think he said.
That’s an interesting one. Woolgoolga only 25 km north of Coffs. Tesla has two NSW Govt sites approved for Coffs (211 Pacific Highway, and one named just “Grafton St” with no address), maybe one of them has been relocated to Woolgoolga?

Last edited:
That’s an interesting one. Woolgoolga only 25 km north of Coffs. Tesla has two NSW Govt sites approved for Coffs (211 Pacific Highway, and one named just “Grafton St” with no address), maybe one of them has been relocated to Woolgoolga?
Yea at the time I thought to myself has Woolgoolga been mentioned before and does that make any sense when Coffs is so close?

But again I am not sure I didn't misunderstand his reply because he also talked about 2 Ampol charging sites in the same sentence they will do which in his approx words were "I probably shouldn't mention yet but I guess I can say they are both up north towards the Coffs direction".

But I could be wrong with what he was trying to convey?

Now I didn't mention in my haste the other day the Gosling site manager mentioned he was worried about future vandalism at the Taree site.

Now I have to admit that surprised me that he would admit such a thing. But I did tell him, after he said that, my wife had shown me back when the dispensers with the Tesla name on them some locals writing, on Facebook I think it was, finally realising what was being built and talking about how those cables will be cut off and sold for the copper by vandals.

Now on the day, after my conversation with the site manager, I did notice 1 panel on a cabinet was loose and crooked and thought ok now I think I know what he was talking about. Someone probably had tried to rip it off?

That is the panel, front cabinet top right, this morning cable tied in this photo:

1718429829078.jpeg

Geez I hope this is not a sign of things to come from some🤬.

Now I didn't mention in my haste the other day the Gosling site manager mentioned he was worried about future vandalism at the Taree site.

Now I have to admit that surprised me that he would admit such a thing. But I did tell him, after he said that, my wife had shown me back when the dispensers with the Tesla name on them some locals writing, on Facebook I think it was, finally realising what was being built and talking about how those cables will be cut off and sold for the copper by vandals.

Now on the day, after my conversation with the site manager, I did notice 1 panel on a cabinet was loose and crooked and thought ok now I think I know what he was talking about. Someone probably had tried to rip it off?

That is the panel, front cabinet top right, this morning cable tied in this photo:

View attachment 1056711

Geez I hope this is not a sign of things to come from some🤬.
Picture from PlugShare dated 12 April showing the same panel ajar which was the day it came out of the box. So likely shipping damage.
IMG_0172.jpeg

Now I didn't mention in my haste the other day the Gosling site manager mentioned he was worried about future vandalism at the Taree site

Does anyone have verified information of a Tesla supercharger being vandalised anywhere in Australia?

I know some NRMA chargers have been vandalised. I saw the vandalised NRMA Walgett charger with my own eyes, although it still worked.