Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tumwater, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for the locals to take another swing by to check things out. Here's some evidence showing forward progress on this as a supercharger location: Washington One Call ticket # 19411450
Ok, I'm now pretty sure that this one is actually going to happen and it'll be soon. In the last 3 months, here's the list of WA supercharger construction sites where the same person/company (Nic Haugen of Blackstone Construction) has called for the utilities to be marked before digging (construction started within a few weeks):
  • Spokane
  • Moses Lake
  • Forks (Not surprisingly, this wasn't known before as it's listed as being for a different company, not Tesla. Maybe a typo/autocorrect error?)
  • North Bend (the truck stop location, not the outlet mall)
And, of course, Tumwater (see my quoted post at the top) where the call was a few days after the one for the North Bend location that is now under construction.

Ok, I'm now pretty sure that this one is actually going to happen and it'll be soon. In the last 3 months, here's the list of WA supercharger construction sites where the same person/company (Nic Haugen of Blackstone Construction) has called for the utilities to be marked before digging (construction started within a few weeks):
  • Spokane
  • Moses Lake
  • Forks (Not surprisingly, this wasn't known before as it's listed as being for a different company, not Tesla. Maybe a typo/autocorrect error?)
  • North Bend (the truck stop location, not the outlet mall)
And, of course, Tumwater (see my quoted post at the top) where the call was a few days after the one for the North Bend location that is now under construction.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this location starting very soon. Sad that North Bend isn't near the mall and very surprised that with five or six sites under construction we don't see any permits for a Yakima area site. That seems like a pretty obvious choice for east west traffic and would allow for easy driving up to white pass, etc.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Just stopped in here and the Southwest corner of the lot is all torn up with conduit and electrical wire in trenches on the other side if the curb. No Tesla specific equipment on site but I asked the cashier and she said it was for EV charging. The dig up area has the approximate footprint of an 8-stall supercharger. I took some pics but it was after dark so they are pretty crappy.

@Chuq @MarcoRP at this point I think there’s enough in this thread for a construction cone but I’ll leave it up to you guys.

DD69AD3E-BD55-418B-A6CA-930FF34B9A25.jpeg
8A38F9AB-DC85-4B47-9A7A-2E5EF15EC655.jpeg
8FC8538C-C909-46C5-9BD0-E16E21AB8055.jpeg
2BEADA36-0FAB-43BC-A77E-FB11D5D054F8.jpeg

Tumwater, WA

Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-5

To: Auburn, WA - 48.8 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Arlington, WA - 113 miles

Additional capacity and density on I-5 south of Greater Seattle.

It improves spacing for longer distance travel.

Reactions: cjhudson101
Oh man. That is going to I-C-E-D constantly :(

The only plus is that this location is not likely one where cars will be for very long. It'll be a huge hassle that it's iced BUT, you may only have to wait a couple minutes for someone to walk out after using the restroom and buying a soda or something to get in their car and drive away. What I suspect will happen though is that you'll have a couple Tesla's in the parking lot getting in everyone's way because they are just waiting for a spot to open. It'll be curious if the owners end up trying to put some signage or a cone with a EV only parking sign on it or something just to keep the flow of traffic a little better so a few Tesla's aren't sitting directly in the parking lot next to these spaces waiting for a car to move...

I visited the Tumwater site last Thursday and today. The trench was open last week but there was conduit for what appears to be 8 back in pedestals in the ground. I stopped by this morning to find the trench filled in and almost all the dirt work complete. Two workers were loading the dump truck, one of whom had never seen the charging port on a Tesla so we had a little bit of show and tell. They said they were also involved with the construction in Forks and Moses Lake. There are no boxes of electrical equipment on site. And, Yes, this is a small crowded parking lot at a busy Pilot truck stop.

Tumwater3.jpg
Tumwater1.jpg

Attachments

• Tumwater2.jpg
    Tumwater2.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I visited the Tumwater site last Thursday and today. The trench was open last week but there was conduit for what appears to be 8 back in pedestals in the ground. I stopped by this morning to find the trench filled in and almost all the dirt work complete. Two workers were loading the dump truck, one of whom had never seen the charging port on a Tesla so we had a little bit of show and tell. They said they were also involved with the construction in Forks and Moses Lake. There are no boxes of electrical equipment on site. And, Yes, this is a small crowded parking lot at a busy Pilot truck stop.

View attachment 473234
View attachment 473232 View attachment 473232

Reactions: cjhudson101