Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll never understand this. I want to get to my destination. With my former ICE cars, I have driven many times from the Bay Area to LA with just one 10-minute break and another 5-minute pitstop to pick up a coffee to go. Those 45 minute supercharging sessions since I have my Model 3 always feel endless and annoying to me.
Why 45 minutes? Are you skipping every 2nd SC as Nav is suggesting you do? I suggest stopping at every one, smaller breaks and usually faster (unless the SC is way off of your path).

Stiff or not, I get out to stretch and walk around for 5 minuts every 2-3 hours. As a physician I have seen too many pulmonary embolii in people that do not.
You'll still have plenty of time for that with v3 charging times ...
amen. You get it. I'm 69. Maybe we are just old Reno folks :D and those young whipper snappers can do it.
Well, I wouldn't exactly consider myself a young whipper snapper, but admittedly I'm still quite a bit away from 69. Maybe Tesla should set up a senior charging section with slower chargers at each site. :p

Tesla should set up a senior charging section with slower chargers at each site. :p
Ha ha, that's a good one. I like it. :D I now imagine myself at the new V 1/2 charger taking 4 hours to charge the car while I hobble over to a vegan restaurant to eat some sea weed and tofu.

Seriously though, the physician makes a great point. I am not a physician, but have much experience in pulmonary monitoring equipment design. It's just not a good idea even at middle age to sit for extended periods and do nothing for your circulation. Whether it is in a car for many hours without long breaks or setting in a cramped seat of an airplane cross country or an international trip, it's just not a smart thing to do..... and I am not talking about 90 year old folks.

Ok back to V3 discussion. Isn't it great that Tesla is helping us to become more prone to health issues by charging quickly and jumping right back in the car for another 300 miles? I can be like an ICE driver again. yes, sarcasm. I don't really mean that. just trying to give you a laugh.

I'm 45 and I mostly appreciate the Supercharging breaks on road trips. A tiny bit of planning goes a long way to making the stops worthwhile. One tip - pack your own food, as the food near most Superchargers is awful.

On days when I'm pulling our Airstream, I'd love faster charging, just because range is cut in half and charging is much more frequent (and includes plenty of time in the taper). There are times without the camper where I'd be thrilled with faster charging, like the time I was coming south through Shasta in cold snow and range was reduced from the wet roads and cold. I was just ready to be home, but it probably took me an hour longer than normal.

Having v2 and v3 chargers mixed in the network seems like it might work out OK for everyone.

We went very quickly from complaining about slow Supercharging to complaining about Supercharging being too fast. Tesla owners are the best!

I think we're getting a little too far over our skis here. I anticipate first encountering a V3 supercharger in about 2 years.

Looking forward to that 145kW though, and maybe they can relax the taper on existing superchargers? Are we all on board with that modest (not too fast, don't worry!) improvement?

Also if you look in the FAQ of the supercharge page on Tesla’s web it says pricing will remain the same.

You left out an important part: "Supercharger PPU and idle fee charges will remain unchanged at this time." So they may change it when V3 sites in per minute states open.

It might, if batteries curtail demand charging.

That doesn't make any sense. In a per-minute state you would be getting over 2x the energy in the same amount of time. So it would make per minute charging a V3 speeds much cheaper.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Looking forward to that 145kW though, and maybe they can relax the taper on existing superchargers? Are we all on board with that modest (not too fast, don't worry!) improvement?
Funny. I like it. I'm onboard, but I won't be totally satisfied until Tesla puts a USB charging port on that 250 KWh V3 so I can charge my iPhone in 35 microseconds :D

So back to V3, I wonder if the Tesla charger map and supercharge.info will start distinguishing V3 locations from V2. That would be nice.

Looking forward to that 145kW though, and maybe they can relax the taper on existing superchargers?
The entire charge session, including whatever taper is implemented, is controled by the car.

The supercharger is rather "dumb" in that, after it authenticates the car, simply receives commands about what voltage/current to supply. The car's BMS has all the smarts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Funny. I like it. I'm onboard, but I won't be totally satisfied until Tesla puts a USB charging port on that 250 KWh V3 so I can charge my iPhone in 35 microseconds :D

So back to V3, I wonder if the Tesla charger map and supercharge.info will start distinguishing V3 locations from V2. That would be nice.
On the Changes page, supercharge.info does indicate if the Superchargers are 72 or 120 kW so I'm sure they'll list the v3 info there. With that said, it would be nice if they used a different color icon for the various types of Superchargers displayed on the map.

On the Changes page, supercharge.info does indicate if the Superchargers are 72 or 120 kW so I'm sure they'll list the v3 info there. With that said, it would be nice if they used a different color icon for the various types of Superchargers displayed on the map.
I rely on the information from the car but I agree that max charge and updated (and accurate) congestion information will be helpful.

The entire charge session, including whatever taper is implmented' is control by the car.

Sure. I guess there is some question about what the V2 Supercharger can actually supply at elevated voltages, but it seems like it should be fine to have V2 superchargers supply ~90kW at ~66% SoC as was pictured in the videos from yesterday, assuming no sharing of course, since that is fewer amps even at the higher voltage. That would be a significant improvement.