Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger V3 unveiling in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that wailing I hear coming from Volkswagen?
Yup. I can clearly hear it in the deafening silence of certain Tesla fanboys who have for years insisted that any car charging faster than 125kW would inevitably destroy the battery. :p

Will be interesting to see how Tesla v3 charging compares to something like the Audi SUV (which has a lower peak rate but less taper at higher SoC IIRC) and the upcoming Porsche with 800V charging (which will probably have similar peak rates like the v3 supercharger).

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yup. I can clearly hear it in the deafening silence of certain Tesla fanboys who have for years insisted that any car charging faster than 125kW would inevitably destroy the battery. :p

Will be interesting to see how v3 charging compares to something like the Audi SUV (which has a lower peak rate but less taper at higher SoC IIRC) and the upcoming Porsche with 800V charging (which will probably have similar peak rates like the v3 supercharger).
Uhmmm... we have no idea if 250kw charging will destroy the battery or not. Presumably Tesla is pretty sure it won't increase their warranty costs. Time will tell! I'm looking forward to finding out :p

$2.56 for 17 miles?

I’m sure they didn’t have the charging fees active for this event. I don’t see them inviting people and then charging them money to charge. So more than likely that amount you see there was from a previous charge session the owner did, even though it says current session above.

Also if you look in the FAQ of the supercharge page on Tesla’s web it says pricing will remain the same.

Agreed. That does appear to be the case.

A little while later when it was at +41 miles, the "Current Session" dollar amount was unchanged.

(At +16 miles)
upload_2019-3-7_14-17-41.png

(At +41 miles)
upload_2019-3-7_14-17-46.png

anybody have current and voltage during the charging session?
Ingineer said he had the specs on the cable that runs from the charging port to the battery and it was good for 430 amps.
Also the preliminary leaked specs said the v3 chargers were good to 500V out put.
Would be interesting how some real data compared.

anybody have current and voltage during the charging session?
Ingineer said he had the specs on the cable that runs from the charging port to the battery and it was good for 430 amps.
Also the preliminary leaked specs said the v3 chargers were good to 500V out put.
Would be interesting how some real data compared.

Unless Tesla built some crazy smart way to reconfigure the modules within the pack, the voltage at which the battery is being charged isn't going to change from V2 to V3 (it obviously increases during the charge from something like 350 to 400V depending on the model).
So to achieve 250kW, which happens on the lower SoC end and hence lower voltage, the battery would be pulling in something closer to 700A.

Unless Tesla built some crazy smart way to reconfigure the modules within the pack, the voltage at which the battery is being charged isn't going to change from V2 to V3 (it obviously increases during the charge from something like 350 to 400V depending on the model).
So to achieve 250kW, which happens on the lower SoC end and hence lower voltage, the battery would be pulling in something closer to 700A.
I suppose it is theoretically possible, it is almost certainly what Porsche is doing to have nominally 800V charging, but it would be stunning development if all the different teams that did a teardown of the Model 3 battery missed the wiring that allowed that.

I suppose it is theoretically possible, it is almost certainly what Porsche is doing to have nominally 800V charging, but it would be stunning development if all the different teams that did a teardown of the Model 3 battery missed the wiring that allowed that.

Of course, anything is possible on future products. I was talking about current Tesla models, which are setup on a 400V architecture. Porsche’s Taycan is based on 800V from the beginning. Rivian is starting with 400V with the ability to switch later (not sure how that will work..)

Of course, anything is possible on future products. I was talking about current Tesla models, which are setup on a 400V architecture. Porsche’s Taycan is based on 800V from the beginning.
Note that being able to charge at 800V doesn't necessarily mean that the powertrain must be based on 800V. It is possible that they use a 400V powertrain and only switch the battery modules to an 800V serial configuration just for charging (while disconnecting the powertrain). The advantage is that you can use existing 400V components. I don't know if that's what Porsche does though.

Reactions: SammichLover
Of course, anything is possible on future products. I was talking about current Tesla models, which are setup on a 400V architecture. Porsche’s Taycan is based on 800V from the beginning. Rivian is starting with 400V with the ability to switch later (not sure how that will work..)
It is the same difference because the Taycan has to also be able to charge at 400V (or it would be wildly impractical for years to come for relying on L3 charging). Whether it is using 400V or 800V on the backend doesn't really impact feasibility for changing input configurations to handle both of those.

This is the big mystery. How do they cram so much current through the wiring in the M3 without burning it up? Perhaps the short duration at 700A doesn't allow the wiring to heat up too much. 250kW is crazy high power.

Perhaps the short duration at 700A doesn't allow the wiring to heat up too much.

Good point. Everything is a fuse, some fuses blow slower than others. :) A good question is what sustained time rating Ingineer was using and what margin of error padding was assumed in that table. Tesla might have more QA confidence, and also have a lot tighter control over duration of the current, so could be using much tighter margin of error on how much current they can put through.

Last edited:
I've actually changed my mind about being pro-Tesla. I was being a good little Tesla fanboi when I realized something with one single YouTube video regarding the SuperCharger event, that wasn't broadcast live anywhere that I could find. At the Supercharger V3 event, some Youtuber was bragging how he got in with someone, and then he met "the right people" and now has access to EAP (Early Access Program). Now I'm originally from California, so take this in context, Tesla truly is an elitist California company who could give a rat's ass about it's paying customers. I paid for the top-of-the-line Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance upgrade, extra paint, Enhanced AutoPilot, even paid an extra $3000 for FSD, paid for everything save for white interior (as I hate white interiors). Now with everything going on they even promise that those of us who paid FSD (apparently stupidly, and for no reason) would get access to EAP. Have I gotten an email saying that I have access to EAP? No, I have to listen to some kid on Youtube brag about how he easily got access to EAP by knowing "the right people". What the F&^$ is going on at Tesla? Stop screwing over your customers who put down cold, hard cash to support you then you flip us the middle finger with all this crap going on. Elon, are you even listening?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually changed my mind about being pro-Tesla. I was being a good little Tesla fanboi when I realized something with one single YouTube video regarding the SuperCharger event, that wasn't broadcast live anywhere that I could find. At the Supercharger V3 event, some Youtuber was bragging how he got in with someone, and then he met "the right people" and now has access to EAP (Early Access Program). Now I'm originally from California, so take this in context, Tesla truly is an elitist California company who could give a rat's ass about it's paying customers. I paid for the top-of-the-line Tesla Model 3 Performance with Performance upgrade, extra paint, Enhanced AutoPilot, even paid an extra $3000 for FSD, paid for everything save for white interior (as I hate white interiors). Now with everything going on they even promise that those of us who paid FSD (apparently stupidly, and for no reason) would get access to EAP. Have I gotten an email saying that I have access to EAP? No, I have to listen to some kid on Youtube brag about how he easily got access to EAP by knowing "the right people". What the F&^$ is going on at Tesla? Stop screwing over your customers who put down cold, hard cash to support you then you flip us the middle finger with all this crap going on. Elon, are you even listening?

MP3Mike: get a life
There must be tiers to the EAP, and I’m in the lowest. Still waiting for any update prior to the general rollout. Don’t get too upset. You’re not missing much.

At the Supercharger V3 event, some Youtuber was bragging how he got in with someone, and then he met "the right people" and now has access to EAP (Early Access Program). Now I'm originally from California, so take this in context, Tesla truly is an elitist California company who could give a rat's ass about it's paying customers.

I suspect he got access more because he is a YouTuber with thousands of viewers/followers, more than knowing the right people. His YouTube video of the V3 Supercharger event already has more than 40,000 views. After all it is free publicity/advertising for Tesla.

Reactions: SammichLover