Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Van Horn, TX (permanently closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and just a bit farther afield -
NW out of Pecos: SpCs at Carlsbad - Roswell - Vaughan/Encino would create a fine link both to Albuquerque to points west and north, and to Santa Rosa for points east & northeast.

Still, by now I'm resigned to understanding that those wretched Interstates:mad: get built out first.

Well, I sure hope I'm correct in that the Tesla permit the City of Van Horn was referring to is for a supercharger, they didn't specify!!! ;) I received some photos of Van Horn TX this evening of what looks to be a new Holiday Inn Express being built two lots to the east of McDonald's (next to the Super Eight). The construction bears resemblance to other new Holiday Inn Express's that I have seen constructed. Owner's of Holiday Inn Express's are well known for having superchargers. Here are the photos from the construction in Van Horn TX ... AND the Goodland KS HIE to compare. It sure seems like a great location and a good fit, but until we see positive indications such as trenching, conduit and/or Tesla equipment on site we need to be cautious. Now, for TMC members that are out scouting about you may be well advised to look at other locations in Van Horn as well. If possible, just stop by City Hall and review the permit!! It will be the definitive supercharger indicator. Blue Dot? ... Hummm, O.K., as this is my best educated guess. Anyone else have anything hard copy definitive?

IMG_7864.JPG
IMG_7863.JPG

IMG_7862.JPG

fullsizeoutput_6da.jpeg

BELOW: This completed HIE is the one in Goodland KS.
fullsizeoutput_6d9.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_6db.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6db.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Californian keen on going to both Big Bend and Marfa..... I'm interested in these superchargers. Any suggestions on how to get to Big Bend?
We live in SoCal, drove to Big Bend October 2014. You could get down to Marfa and back to 1-10 from Van Horn. Big Bend is at the ends of the earth; nonetheless we thought it was well worth the trip. You would need an overnight charge in Terlingua or in the park. No destination chargers are shown there on Tesla's map. Perhaps Texas locals know more.

I've been looking around for charging options without much success.
One option could be to book an RV hookup and a hotel room at Chisos Basin which would be really cool anyway.

I looked around also yesterday and it seems pretty sparse, even RV spots. My worry is that even RV hookups are hard to come by in some places during peak season as they are being used by well RVs.

How much driving do you end up doing in Big Bend? It is like one of maybe 10 National Parks I haven't been to.

I'm wondering it might be more stress free to rent an ICE in Van Horn or Marfa for the Big Bend section.

I looked around also yesterday and it seems pretty sparse, even RV spots. My worry is that even RV hookups are hard to come by in some places during peak season as they are being used by well RVs.

How much driving do you end up doing in Big Bend? It is like one of maybe 10 National Parks I haven't been to.

I'm wondering it might be more stress free to rent an ICE in Van Horn or Marfa for the Big Bend section.
I love Big Bend and the whole area, but only ever been when driving ICE though. The distances are too great between civilization and charging on nothing but 110v doesn't make a vacation :)

We put 494 miles on a tank of gas, fueling at Van Horn on the way in and at Fort Stockton 3 days later on the way out. We spent one day in Marfa and two in Big Bend.
Closed Canyon: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Closed Canyon, Big Bend State Park, TX, Oct. 18, 2014
Santa Elena Canyon: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend National Park, TX, 10/19/2014
Emory Peak: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Emory Peak, Big Bend National Park, TX, Oct. 19, 2014

No question you need an overnight 240 in/near Terlingua or Chisos Mountain Lodge.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner
We put 494 miles on a tank of gas, fueling at Van Horn on the way in and at Fort Stockton 3 days later on the way out. We spent one day in Marfa and two in Big Bend.
Closed Canyon: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Closed Canyon, Big Bend State Park, TX, Oct. 18, 2014
Santa Elena Canyon: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Santa Elena Canyon, Big Bend National Park, TX, 10/19/2014
Emory Peak: Liftlines Skiing and Snowboarding Forums • View topic - Emory Peak, Big Bend National Park, TX, Oct. 19, 2014

No question you need an overnight 240 in/near Terlingua or Chisos Mountain Lodge.

Those canyons look really nice, wasn't expecting that. I need to go!

Location of the Van Horn Supercharger is the west parking lot of the Hampton Inn. The Hampton is located on the very western edge of the town, south of the interstate.

I took the following pictures early this AM. One shows the trench at the western edge of the Hampton's parking lot. Another picture is a view of the four Supercharger crates with the front entrance area of the Hampton in the background (to the left). And the last picture is a close up of one of the four wood crates with "DC SUPERCHARGER" printed across the top.
20161227_053728.jpg
20161227_054031.jpg
20161227_054202.jpg
20161227_053728.jpg

I first noticed a construction trailer at this site about three weeks ago when I was in the area. It had an extension cord coming from it leading into the side door of the motel. And a couple of workers were taking measurements along the parking lot edge. (Suggestive, but not conclusive enough to post.) I had hoped that the construction might be further along that it appears when I stopped by there this AM. (But, on the other hand, I've been waiting since 2014 for I-10 SC's).

The Van Horn Hampton Inn is on the far western edge of town. "Amenities" of this site include having a McDonald's located a half mile east along the same frontage road (that's the closest food) and unlimited dog walking possibilities while you are charging (there is only desert to the west and south of the Hampton.) Watch out for the rattlers.

Actually, I'm MOST HAPPY that Tesla was able to procure a Supercharger site in Van Horn. From what I can see, this town has so very little to offer in terms of good Supercharger sites, and Tesla was able to make one happen.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I'm glad to see construction started there. Driving from Tucson to Houston, via I-10, of course not in my Tesla, I stayed at the Van Horn Hampton Inn in 2015. I spoke at length with the Hampton Inn owner about the Supercharger and the Destination charger programs. She was unaware of it at the time-and became very interested in them while we talked. I told her that she should contact Tesla about the programs- She said she would do it right away, of course these things take time, Now I no longer have a need to drive from Tucson to Houston having driven this route 5 times the last 4 years and only once in my Tesla, of course that trip involved going through Albuquerque and Oklahoma City, about 500 extra miles and an full extra day . Next year ( hopefully) I may make the trip from Tucson to Houston in my Model S once the rest of the I-10 supercharger network is complete, just because it will be possible.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Van Horn, TX

Interstates: I-10
US Numbered Highways (<= 5 mi): US-90

I-10

To: Fort Stockton, TX - 119 miles
Diversion: 0 miles
To: Ozona, TX - 228 miles

To: Holbrook, AZ (I-10, US-180) - 504 miles
To: Gallup, NM (I-10, I-25, NM-6, I-40) - 506 miles
To: Albuquerque, NM (I-10, I-25) - 387 miles
To: Santa Rosa, NM (TX-54, US-62, US-285, US-84) - 327 miles
To: Tucumcari, NM (TX-54, US-62, US-285, US-70, TX-330, TX-267, TX-268, TX-209) - 361 miles
To: Midland, TX (I-10, I-20) - 181 miles

Now only 500 miles to Casa Grande, AZ. It's getting closer...

Reactions: CSFTN and jbcarioca
I'm glad to see construction started there.... I may make the trip from Tucson to Houston in my Model S once the rest of the I-10 supercharger network is complete, just because it will be possible.

To eliminate the I-10 problem we now only need three locations, my preferences are:
Las Cruces
Lordsburg
Tucson

Las Cruces also will allow Albuquerque to be in range with only one other, maybe two to accommodate shorter range and bad weather, say, Truth or Consequences and San Antonio. The latter one would be good enough most of the time

This is all coming together, good for those of us who want coast to coast on the Southern route, among others.

To eliminate the I-10 problem we now only need three locations, my preferences are:
Las Cruces
Lordsburg
Tucson

Las Cruces also will allow Albuquerque to be in range with only one other, maybe two to accommodate shorter range and bad weather, say, Truth or Consequences and San Antonio. The latter one would be good enough most of the time

This is all coming together, good for those of us who want coast to coast on the Southern route, among others.
According to tesla's 2017 map, it looks like no tuscon.

It looks like:
Raso
Deming
Law cruces
El Paso

Get your 75KWh or greater tesla ready the trek from casa grande to raso!

EVTripplanner says you will use 50KWh assuming you drive the speed limit with climates control off, 200on load, and no headwind from casa grande to raso.

With other conditions a 60 might have to travel slower and charge to close to 100% at casa grande to make that trek.

Going the opposite direction is much easier.