Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Van Horn, TX (permanently closed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can verify Van Horn is open. I can also verify that the wind blows like crazy here -- probably 30-40 mph right now with lots of dust.

Sorry, only one picture. Too miserable to stand out there!
IMG_20170223_152244.jpg

It's a stretch Westbound from Ozona. Arrived Monday night 4/24 in our 2016 Model S 90D, with 16 miles left after departing Ozona with a full charge. Suspect some headwinds were at work, in addition to the 1700' climb, which never seemed to end. Fort Stockton will make this an easier leg, and likely eliminate the speed advirosies from the dashboard.

Reactions: BerTX
Plan was to top off at the same RV Park in Deming. Ended up proceeding westbound from El Paso after transport via flatbed tow, in a Chevy Suburban rental courtesy of Tesla. 90D developed a problem where it would not allow charging. San Antonio tech arrived at El Paso supercharger Tuesday early afternoon via Southwest air, and fixed in about three hours. Too late to drive westbound making long charging stops at night in unfamiliar areas, with in-laws and spouse in car. Tesla to deliver my car to San Diego Service Center so they can do my first tire rotation. Hopefully soon!

Plan was to top off at the same RV Park in Deming. Ended up proceeding westbound from El Paso after transport via flatbed tow, in a Chevy Suburban rental courtesy of Tesla. 90D developed a problem where it would not allow charging. San Antonio tech arrived at El Paso supercharger Tuesday early afternoon via Southwest air, and fixed in about three hours. Too late to drive westbound making long charging stops at night in unfamiliar areas, with in-laws and spouse in car. Tesla to deliver my car to San Diego Service Center so they can do my first tire rotation. Hopefully soon!

What a shame to have your road trip interrupted. Good on Tesla for helping you out. What an expensive ordeal for all concerned!

Indeed, although extra cost to me has been minimal, other than time spent. Still waiting on transport, which is disappointing. Figured I'd see the car here in San Diego around the end of the week. At this point, one-way air fare for my passengers might have been less costly compared to the rental Tesla is providing. I would have driven it home if it was just me.

Question for those who have used Van Horn Supercharger. Can an Model X90D make it to Carlsbad Caverns National Park and back to Van Horn going on TX 54 and US 62?
It's unlikely you will find someone with that car who has driven from Van Horn to Carlsbad Caverns and back -- the odds are slim.

It should be possible under the right wind conditions, but you probably would not have much reserve to drive around in the park when you got there. But if the winds are in your favor, you should be able to do it. Would I do it? No, as there are no alternative charging spots on that route, and I'm not much of a desert adventurer.

Keep your speeds down (60-65) , and don't try to buck a strong headwind and you could probably do it. If the return trip starts to look comfortable, then speed up. Remember that driving a 100 mile trip at 60 vs. 75 only costs you about 20 minutes. Much better than waiting for a tow in the desert.

Question for those who have used Van Horn Supercharger. Can an Model X90D make it to Carlsbad Caverns National Park and back to Van Horn going on TX 54 and US 62?
Looks like it's 224 miles so that's pretty tight. If you do attempt, be sure to drive extremely slow on the way there. I would drive as slow as you can get away with, like 20mph below the speed limit and pulling over when possible to let other cars pass. If it looks really bad, your backup plan is the RV park in Carlsbad, but that would likely cost you a day if you need to use it. I would call ahead just to be sure they are open and get the hours etc.

I agree!!! @BerTX comment above on managing speed is the key to survival (and staying off the back of a tow truck).

My apologies. I think I had something set wrong using the phone interface. It is tighter than I thought earlier.

This is set at 110% speed. I usually set the speed high to add some guard band... then try to not drive to fast.

tesla_icon_small.png
Van Horn Depart at 97%

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Visitor Center Arrive at 53%

chargeplug_icon_active.png
Van Horn arrive 10%

Total 216 miles

My apologies. I think I had something set wrong using the phone interface. It is tighter than I thought earlier.

This is set at 110% speed. I usually set the speed high to add some guard band... then try to not drive to fast.

tesla_icon_small.png
Van Horn Depart at 97%

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Visitor Center Arrive at 53%

chargeplug_icon_active.png
Van Horn arrive 10%

Total 216 miles
You aren't including the loop through the park. No one is going to drive up to the Visitor Center and then not do the park loop.

Thanks to all for your input. I went to a bike website to plot the elevation changes. From Van Horn (elev ~4000') to the highest of two mountains along the way on TX 54 and US 62 (~5500'), it looks marginal. I came up with an alternate route. Hope the Pecos SC is completed when I come or stay at the BW hotel and use their level 2 charger. At near 100% charge, drive to Carlsbad, then drive to Van Horn (approx distance is 200 miles). The route from Pecos is flatter and will climb the mountains to Van Horn only once vs twice.

I don't think the elevation change is that big a deal but it is important to realize that the return leg to Van Horn will be slightly uphill. And also not to freak out as your range will be dented a little as you make the uphill climb.

DO NOT USE 3A!!

I plugged in and it locked in but failed to charge. The chargeport light was blue and I could not unlock it, regardless what I tried.

After being on hold with Tesla for over a half hour, I went in and asked the lady at the front desk of the Hampton Inn and she said it had happened to another lady before (she thought it was the same stall) and there was a button to push to unlock it. Sure enough the button near the chargeport unlocks it manually. Surprised I never knew this trick, but then again I'd never had the chargeport lock up on me like that before.

Anyways I'm now plugged in to 2A and it's working as normal.

DO NOT USE 3A!!

I plugged in and it locked in but failed to charge. The chargeport light was blue and I could not unlock it, regardless what I tried.

After being on hold with Tesla for over a half hour, I went in and asked the lady at the front desk of the Hampton Inn and she said it had happened to another lady before (she thought it was the same stall) and there was a button to push to unlock it. Sure enough the button near the chargeport unlocks it manually. Surprised I never knew this trick, but then again I'd never had the chargeport lock up on me like that before.

Anyways I'm now plugged in to 2A and it's working as normal.
Please call Tesla Charging support number and report it, if you haven’t already.