Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Vancouver, WA - NE Vancouver Mall Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went by the new Vancouver site today. It was pouring rain so I didn't take a pic. I believe the new SC to be located in the red circle below, just north of the theaters. There was spray paint on the pavement with "SC", "T" and "T SC" inside paint boxes. Pretty sure that's it.

Supercharge.info says 8 stalls. Only 4 parking spots had spray paint, but that may not mean much.

View attachment 498793

I assume it’s considerably cheaper if locating it there (assuming they’re tapping power from something feeding the building) but I wish it was at the end (away from the building) of the row to avoid ICEing.

I have no idea how supercharger.info would have any knowledge on how big the site is right now. I don’t think that OneCall sheds any light on it and no hardware is onsite, that usually is the first indicator (type and size of cabinets, etc).

For new locations in the US where there isn't "official" information on the number of stalls, Supercharge.info uses 8 stalls as a placeholder when creating the listing until it's known how many there actually are, whether from looking at the construction activity, the on-site hardware, or from someone finding new documents.

03F3AF87-D1AA-452B-B330-87C3A6ACF2CD.jpeg
27E0EDA9-5FCD-401F-AE80-DBEDFE71086B.jpeg
4F5E135E-3339-4EFB-AC70-80E9EAA318AA.jpeg
D928AD8D-80B6-4C26-8A22-EB8644524720.jpeg
03F3AF87-D1AA-452B-B330-87C3A6ACF2CD.jpeg
Pretty sure I found the spot. Not sure I like it, it’s right in the middle of the mall parking lot...will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I wish it was out at the end... it’s fine making us Tesla owners walk all the way across the parking lot to the stores if it means it’ll be far less likely that it’ll be ICEd... but I wonder if construction costs are much cheaper closer to the structure...

Lots of apartments in the area, Tesla is investing in infrastructure for those in apartments or rentals without on-site charging. These will support and greatly expand Tesla's customer base when wide spread. No longer just meeting the needs of long distance travelers. And a source of revenue from the charging $. It's the only new thing in the dying malls.

Lots of apartments in the area, Tesla is investing in infrastructure for those in apartments or rentals without on-site charging. These will support and greatly expand Tesla's customer base when wide spread. No longer just meeting the needs of long distance travelers. And a source of revenue from the charging $. It's the only new thing in the dying malls.

The revenue source question is one that has crossed my mind. Is it profitable? I have no idea what their wholesale electricity rate is in comparison to the $0.28 / kwh they charge and the cost of building and running the superchargers.

The revenue source question is one that has crossed my mind. Is it profitable? I have no idea what their wholesale electricity rate is in comparison to the $0.28 / kwh they charge and the cost of building and running the superchargers.
Wholesale electricity? No such thing. They actually get charged more, especially with peak charges. I think iwannam3 was referring to revenue for the malls (shop while charging).

Wholesale electricity? No such thing. They actually get charged more, especially with peak charges. I think iwannam3 was referring to revenue for the malls (shop while charging).

If I was the mall, and especially if I was the movie theater, I would push for a bank of level 2 chargers be included. They will get zero extra traffic off even urban chargers past food court. 40 to 50 minutes isn’t going to drive people into stores. However, if I lived in the area and as long as it wasn’t a huge way out of my way, I would totally pick a Tesla destination charger location for shopping or a movie compared to not. I figure that could be good for 15kWh + from an average movie and maybe 20kWh or more during a normal shopping trip to the mall.

Does Tesla report supercharger income on SEC reports? I was referring to Tesla source of increasing revenue with the large number of TM3 without free supercharging.

I have asked the power company what rate Tesla is at and to see a copy of their bill but they have not responded. It is a public utility so I believe a FOI request should be able to get that info. I'm using a published PUD industrial rate. Larger use than this rate will get lower kwh charges.

Industrial rate for power is $0.077/kwh. (Home rate is $0.0816) The demand charge is $6.77 per kW for Secondary Point-of-Delivery. Let's do maths! Assuming 12 stalls = 6 power supplies at 150 kwh = 900 kwh peak load = $6,093. Assume 25% usage (seems high, many nighttime hours empty) = 225 kwh average use X 24 hours/day X 30 days/month= 162,000 kwh/month X $0.077/kwh = $12,474 usage rate.

$12,474 usage rate + $6,093 demand charge = $18,567 monthly total. That makes the average kwh cost $0.115/kwh. The $0.28/kwh is around 2.5 times their cost. As average use increases, the demand charge gets to be a smaller percentage and the cost/kwh drops.

I did not include power loss in the transformers and AC/DC conversion. Make a wild guess that 200kwh in = 150kwh out and you get $0.0153/kwh.

I would imaging kwh and especially demand rates are crazy high in California etc. where huge AC peaks strain the supply. Tesla is not charging California a rate representative of their cost. There used to be rates from $0.32 to $0.015 but now Tesla's website says $0.28 which is subsidizing Ca and overcharging Wa and other low power rate states. Chevron does not have a fixed price across the US.

Obviously, comment if you find a glaring mistake in my maths.

Does Tesla report supercharger income on SEC reports? I was referring to Tesla source of increasing revenue with the large number of TM3 without free supercharging.

I have asked the power company what rate Tesla is at and to see a copy of their bill but they have not responded. It is a public utility so I believe a FOI request should be able to get that info. I'm using a published PUD industrial rate. Larger use than this rate will get lower kwh charges.

Industrial rate for power is $0.077/kwh. (Home rate is $0.0816) The demand charge is $6.77 per kW for Secondary Point-of-Delivery. Let's do maths! Assuming 12 stalls = 6 power supplies at 150 kwh = 900 kwh peak load = $6,093. Assume 25% usage (seems high, many nighttime hours empty) = 225 kwh average use X 24 hours/day X 30 days/month= 162,000 kwh/month X $0.077/kwh = $12,474 usage rate.

$12,474 usage rate + $6,093 demand charge = $18,567 monthly total. That makes the average kwh cost $0.115/kwh. The $0.28/kwh is around 2.5 times their cost. As average use increases, the demand charge gets to be a smaller percentage and the cost/kwh drops.

I did not include power loss in the transformers and AC/DC conversion. Make a wild guess that 200kwh in = 150kwh out and you get $0.0153/kwh.

I would imaging kwh and especially demand rates are crazy high in California etc. where huge AC peaks strain the supply. Tesla is not charging California a rate representative of their cost. There used to be rates from $0.32 to $0.015 but now Tesla's website says $0.28 which is subsidizing Ca and overcharging Wa and other low power rate states. Chevron does not have a fixed price across the US.

Obviously, comment if you find a glaring mistake in my maths.

I think the math mainly holds up... but I still don’t think it paints a wonderful picture for Tesla when it comes to a revenue stream.

I’m assuming Tesla is considered a “Large General Service” based on my utility. [To all nonresidential uses supplied through a single meter, where anticipated monthly maximum demand is greater than 300 kilowatts, but less than or equal to 1,000 kilowatts, and the load is not eligible under other rate schedules.]

Not factoring in any loss, a 8 stall V2 site could see a demand of approx 600kW. (Each stall shares a max of 150kW, assuming all stalls are occupied at the exact same time with new cars with low enough SOC you would expect 75kW from each stall.)

Rates:
Multiphase Service $2.01/day
Energy Charge $0.0428/kWh
Demand Charge $5.58/kW

The cost for just the daily service and the demand charge would be approx ($5.58*600) + ($2.01*30.4) = $3,409. Tesla needs to earn at least that much to break even on the utility hookup and demand.

Tesla charges $0.28/kWh and in this area would be paying $0.0428/kWh. That means Tesla MAKES $0.2372/kWh. For Tesla to cover the above charges they need to deliver (to PAYING cars) 14,372kWh, or approx 192 Model 3 Long Range (75kWh). Now realistically people aren’t charging from 0 to 100%, I would say best case would be 10% to 80%, meaning on a 75kWh battery they are only pulling 52.5kWh. That now means you need 274 cars to drop by. That doesn’t count all the Model S and X that are actually costing Tesla money, possibly ~$3/car (using 70% charge on a 100kWh battery). That also isn’t factoring in any free charging from referral miles.

Let’s say 10% of cars are 100kWh S and X with free supercharging and they cost Tesla approx $3 each.

Let’s say 30% of cars are Model 3 with free referral miles and they are 75kWh LR that cost Tesla $2.25 each.

You would need a little over 500 cars to break even. [50 Model S/X would add $150 and 150 Model 3 with referral miles would add $337. Tesla would have to cover $3,897]

300 Model 3’s paying for 52.5kWh would generate $3,736. I think the actual number is like 512 cars would have to stop with that rationale. That’s approximately 17 cars a day.

This also doesn’t factor in original construction costs (I assume in the $100,000+ range), ongoing maintenance cost, data services, and capital for expansion [these sites have a finite capacity to them])

There are ~18,000 Tesla’s in Washington state. Let’s assume on average 30% of owners need to use a supercharger every week and let’s say they visit twice (I actually think this is a really high number). That means 10,800 charging events by native Tesla’s are happening every week. I think there are about 19 superchargers in Washington, some larger than 8 stall V2, some smaller. This would mean ~2,460 cars average at every supercharger each month. (Washington native cars, who knows how many that are visiting the state)

The possible error on the number of cars that visit a supercharger could be huge. Some could have a daily drive that requires a supercharger visit and others might only visit 10 times or less a year. I figure the majority charge at home though. I also woefully underestimated the number of S/X owners in Washington state. It’s more like 44% of the Tesla’s in the state are S/X that probably have free supercharging.

All and all it’s best guesses off some basic data on published utility rate and Tesla registration data for WA.... but I would guess Tesla is being honest when they say they don’t “make money” off charging. It’s paying for the free charging S/X have, it’s paying for referral miles Model 3 has, and it’s paying for upkeep and expansion of the network. (This also doesn’t factor in the destination chargers cost, there are hundreds if not thousands of them in WA and I believe Tesla supplies the hardware for free [~$500 retail cost a unit] so who knows how much that costs them...)

I know Tesla shows the occupy status of supercharger on the in-car nav... but is there anyway to access that API from the web? If so, it might be possible for someone (smarter than me) to write a script to poll all the WA superchargers every 5 minutes or something for a week, or for a month or something. Than we could know how often a supercharger stall was in use. We could take an informal, but hopefully representative poll here at TMC to figure out at what SOC most people plug in and than depart at. This would improve the accuracy on kWh delivered per car. Then we could poll what percentage is free charging vs paid. Combine all that data and we should have a fairly accurate picture of supercharger usage for the state. We know all the locations and could easily look up rates to calculate the fixed minimum costs (demand and daily connectivity charge) and then use our polled data from TMC for usage costs/revenue.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The 19.0 cents per kWh Los Angeles households paid for electricity in November 2019 was 42.9 percent more than the nationwide average of 13.3 cents per kWh. Seems like California should be charged more to supercharge. Probably a higher % of free supercharging cars due to early adopters. Hawaii is 34 cents, they going to charge 28 cents like everywhere else?

Reactions: theeskimo
View attachment 499115 View attachment 499116 View attachment 499117 View attachment 499118 View attachment 499115 Pretty sure I found the spot. Not sure I like it, it’s right in the middle of the mall parking lot...will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Those images of the marks on on the pavement are more likely the locations of the transformers and fenced in area. Then the supercharger stations would branch off from those. There is benefit for the primary feed being close to the building, but the stalls can be farther out. Similar to the Auburn location (see photo)
C78944C8-E415-4E24-B452-9134DCB092C4.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: theeskimo
Looks like Tesla is at it again in Washington state! New Vancouver, WA location for a supercharger at the Vancouver Mall (8700 NE Vancouver Mall Dr, Vancouver, WA 98662).

Blackstone Construction again, they've been busy with a few other superchargers around the state.

https://www.managetickets.com/morecApp/ticketSearchAndStatusView.jsp?enc=uhXVOzRTYC2C+Oed6IWUW5hXHQwgohb/tMz0hBgtfaoXygqhJI21S0NRBRtgqbYj

Map - Google Maps

"EXCAVATION SITE IS ON THE S SIDE OF THE ROAD. THIS IS IN THE MALL PARKING LOT DIRECTLY NORTH OF THE CINEMAS. NE 82ND AVE IS TO THE WEST OF THE LOCATION"

It's 5 minutes from 205 with lots of eating options nearby - not just inside the Mall.

There used to be rates from $0.32 to $0.015 but now Tesla's website says $0.28 which is subsidizing Ca and overcharging Wa and other low power rate states.
This is incorrect. Tesla has individual location pricing for all North American superchargers and CA supercharger locations are regularly priced at over $0.30/kWh. The $0.28/kWh listed on Tesla's website is the national AVERAGE price for sites that charge by the kWh, not the list price for all locations. This fact is easy to miss but is made in one of the bullet points above the price on that webpage, you just have to read carefully. The only place to currently see the actual prices for any given location is in the in-car navigation system when you highlight a supercharger.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Drove by on my way to work, looks like construction has begun. I have only 2 months on my "free" referral supercharger miles and it would be great to use them up with this if it's finished in time. Guessing probably not... but it would be convenient. The Salmon Creek ones are a bit out of my way.

• Informative
Reactions: goneskiian
1965Falcon - By "construction has begun", do you mean that ground has been broken and trenching has started? If so, we need to contact the moderator and change the blue dot for a permit to an orange construction cone. Pictures would be appreciated.
Many thanks for the update.

I went by the mall today. The only thing I saw was a construction truck/trailer parked in the spot I identified in my post #18 of this thread. No ground was broken. I did notice a large transformer at the end of the row of parking spaces that has been there a long time.

Must have just missed you lol.

“Blackstone” on the door of the vehicle. Acarney mentioned them in the first post.

There are blue markings on the ground on both sides of the intersection.

Attachments

• 44988084-5184-4882-94A2-75B7E8906625.jpeg
    44988084-5184-4882-94A2-75B7E8906625.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 62
  • C66D0A62-71AE-47CC-9F64-A96B8F4BB640.jpeg
    C66D0A62-71AE-47CC-9F64-A96B8F4BB640.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 69
  • FBCEE205-6304-48A7-8290-73754AB15932.jpeg
    FBCEE205-6304-48A7-8290-73754AB15932.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited: