Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI - here's what charging speed over time looks like for a Supercharger. This is my Model S going from 10% charge to 95% charge in about an hour. The temperature was around 60 degrees F, and temperature does affect your charging speed. If it's ~80 degrees F or warmer, the Model S will have to cool the battery, and the charging power drops down to around 60 kW. I haven't measured cold weather effects yet.

I generated this graph using data from FlexCharging, a smart charging app available on iPhone.
So you're starting to taper at 20% SOC? That seems crazy. I never tapered until 50% and often not until 60%.

I have a 75D and left Everett at 2am with 100% charge. Didn’t even make it to Vancouver actually. Had to stop by Centralia for a few mins. It was cold (33-36 degrees the whole way) and I was driving 5-10 over speed limit with rain and even some snow mixed in here and there. Kind of disappointing really, but now what I’m in S. CA with warmer temps and dry roads, I’m getting much better range.

The fluctuating charge is something I saw the first time too. I think it was that combination that delayed the full charge.

Yes, taper was misspelled ;)

I have a 75D and left Everett at 2am with 100% charge. Didn’t even make it to Vancouver actually. Had to stop by Centralia for a few mins. It was cold (33-36 degrees the whole way) and I was driving 5-10 over speed limit with rain and even some snow mixed in here and there. Kind of disappointing really, but now what I’m in S. CA with warmer temps and dry roads, I’m getting much better range.

The fluctuating charge is something I saw the first time too. I think it was that combination that delayed the full charge.

Yes, taper was misspelled ;)
Surprised you made it from Everett, WA at 2am and arrive in S.CA and could post this before 8am... all while driving only 5-10 over speed limit... ;)

I’m presuming everyone uses something like abetterrouteplanner for long distances? The ability to apply what if scenarios for weather and speed is very useful, and better now you can track in car such as model 3 on your phone (no energy graph, no web browser).

How well did the below map to your experience, modulo destination charging wherever you stayed overnight?

3069A1DB-576F-4A3B-8935-40E934EACD0F.jpeg

Ha. Yes, I’m posting from the future ;). These are approximate charge times from Everett to Carlsbad:

Everett - Left with 100%
Centralia - 10mins
Vancouver - 40 mins* (low SOC, trickle charge for 15 mins)
Woodburn - 20 mins
Springfield - 50 mins (breakfast)
Grants pass - 40 mins
Mt. Shasta - 25 mins
Corning - 30 mins
Sacramento - 40 mins (for town driving)
OVERNIGHT LODGING W/O A CHARGER
Gustine - 30 mins
Kettleman City- 50 mins (lunch, awesome charging station)
Tejon Ranch - 35 mins

I could have saved some time charging if adhering to the speed limit, especially between Sac and LA

• Love
Reactions: MikeBur
Is it better than EV Trip Planner? I tried to use EVTP the other day and it gave me a really strange route to SF, CA. I was surprised it didn't suggest that I stay on I-5.
I’ve found it very useful for long trips. Definitely better than in car nav on S/X, though interestingly I believe the 3 navigation is superior... perhaps this is the “light years ahead” navigation we’ll get in S and X that Elon mentioned?

With all of the discussion about charging etiquette, does anyone know why the Vancouver SC has signs that say 60 minutes general parking?
Freddies doesn't want to piss off their regular customers loading up with groceries vs a passing traveler charging and walking over to Starbucks for a coffee and never coming back except for 25 minutes recharge & use the bathroom on their return trip. Transient vs regular paying customers. Not like Freddies is getting a cut of power sales. Blink is $0,49/kw, I wonder if Freddie's gets a cut?

Reactions: melindav
With all of the discussion about charging etiquette, does anyone know why the Vancouver SC has signs that say 60 minutes general parking?

As I understand it, most states have laws about how many spaces a parking lot must have per x sf of store space in a shopping center. Most shopping centers are designed with minimum spec parking to maximize the revenue generating space. As a consequence when something new like a Tesla supercharger comes along, they can't eliminate any parking spaces from the general parking for the supercharger, so they need to leave them as general parking. They usually put the supercharger spots in the most remote part of the parking lot to lower the chances of getting ICEd, but they don't have enough parking spaces to have 100% dedicated Tesla parking spots.

As I understand it, most states have laws about how many spaces a parking lot must have per x sf of store space in a shopping center. Most shopping centers are designed with minimum spec parking to maximize the revenue generating space. As a consequence when something new like a Tesla supercharger comes along, they can't eliminate any parking spaces from the general parking for the supercharger, so they need to leave them as general parking. They usually put the supercharger spots in the most remote part of the parking lot to lower the chances of getting ICEd, but they don't have enough parking spaces to have 100% dedicated Tesla parking spots.
Thanks that makes more sense.

I asked our Vancouver public power utility what rate schedule the Vancouver supercharger was on and what the rules were on re-selling power. Here is their reply:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the Tesla EV chargers located at the Salmon Creek Fred Meyer. Those chargers are owned by Tesla and only available to Tesla owners. The electricity is sold to Fred Meyer on the standard large commercial schedule/rate and then resold to Tesla from Fred Meyer; there is no contract with either organization. Private corporations can resell public power if that power is consumed within the public utility service territory, therefore, we do not need a contract. Keep in mind they pay a hefty “demand charge” that you avoid when charging at your residence; we do not have a demand charge for residential accounts.

I’d be happy to talk more about this if you would like; feel free to give me a ring anytime. I always encourage customer to charge their EV’s at home so they can pay the retail rates and avoid the margin that the owner of the private chargers make."

I was surprised that they did not connect directly to the utility but are sub-metered off of Freddies account . Seems like a complication for Freddies billing. Freddies re-sells it to Tesla at a profit?

Fred Meyers has been partnering with Tesla around the Northwest. They may see it as an advertising thing. They could sell the power to Tesla at cost and still turn a profit from the deep pocketed Tesla customers who are stranded at their stores for 1/2 hour or more.