Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had to try the new Winnipeg V3 charger and was a little underwhelmed.
When I arrived there was a Model X at the furthest east pedestal and the driver shared that only the 2 east most appeared to be energized.

My 2013 S85 battery was at 60% at initial hookup and after the initial "handshake" started charging at 16 kW 87 km/hr.

When I returned to the car about 25 minutes later things had improved to 22 kW 122 km/hr.

The Supercharger app I use from Ndili Technologies Inc. currently lists the locations in Brandon, Portage la Praire and Winnipeg as open V3 locations.

There is probably a break-in/testing phase so I guess patience is required.

I have free supercharging but am curious to know if they are charging at this point.

I understand that the Brandon PetroCanada station L3 charger is currently free.

When I arrived there was a Model X at the furthest east pedestal and the driver shared that only the 2 east most appeared to be energized.

My 2013 S85 battery was at 60% at initial hookup and after the initial "handshake" started charging at 16 kW 87 km/hr.

When I returned to the car about 25 minutes later things had improved to 22 kW 122 km/hr.

The Supercharger app I use from Ndili Technologies Inc. currently lists the locations in Brandon, Portage la Praire and Winnipeg as open V3 locations.

I have free supercharging but am curious to know if they are charging at this point.

Pretty sure Petro Can in Brandon is working, can't say if it is still free but suspect it is.
I have not tried ALL positions on the Brandon SuC, but do not believe any are working. I did find that the chargers do have numbers but not on the bottom like the V2 chargers that I encountered on my trip to Texas, Georgia and Ontario a few weeks ago. The numbers are on the top inside part of the Pedestals and a much smaller font. The one I have tried the most in Brandon is 1C. Possibly I should try all of them.

I've tried the Supercharger 3 times and none have shown up in Supercharger sessions.

Max rate was 122 kW when at 10% SOC. Anything above 70% has been 21 kW max even with a toasty battery.

A fellow Model 3 owner yesterday had a cold pack and first 10 mins or so and while displayed 0 kW over ten minutes he added 2 kWh (55 to 60%) and hopefully after that the rate sped up.

I agree that they are still holding back full power until officially open and pay per use will be in effect for anyone without free Supercharging grandfathered in.

Yes, I tried it out a week ago (Thurs) and as I mentioned earlier, it took about 8 min before it got above 0km/hr, worked its way up and peaked at 28KW 182km/hr after another 20 minutes before the charger produced an error. Battery ended up at 60% and the blue area had disappeared. Still some kinks to be worked out, it seems.

I also tried out the chargers today with results that are similar to others. My car, LR AWD Model 3, was out in a temperature of -13°C with only a short trip to Polo Park. I plugged into the 3rd charger from the east for 15 minutes, saw a rate that flipped between 0 and 1 km per hour, and got a range increase of only 2 km. I unplugged and moved to the 4th charger and things improved. The rate steadily increased for 45 minutes more to 38kW, 250 km/hr then began to decrease.

I don't think switching chargers made the difference; I think it just took that long for the battery to warm up. The later decrease was because the state of charge had risen.

I visited last week and I could get only 20 minutes of charging at each charger I tried. This restriction seems to be gone. It might be a reasonable restriction for testing in warm weather but here it was unreasonable since it takes so long just to thaw out the battery. 15 minutes before a range increase at -13°C -- how long will it take when real cold comes? The price on my screen stayed at US$0.00 .

For those who gave me charging advice earlier, I have phoned my electrician and he'll be coming out to install something decent at my place. Does a 220 V, 50 Amp outlet sound right?

Last edited:
For those who gave me charging advice earlier, I have phoned my electrician and he'll be coming out to install something decent at my place. Does a 220 V, 50 Amp outlet sound right?

A 50 amp circuit would allow you 40 amps charging. That would charge a model 3 at about 50km of range per hour that it’s plugged in.

If you put a 14-50 receptacle on it, and use your mobile charger, the UMC will top out at 32 amps. I would expect 40km of range per hour. So 12.5 hours from empty to full.

Realistically, you’ll likely set it to only charge to 80%, so less than 10 hours. And since you’ll never start at 0%, this will be plenty to charge it overnight, even when it’s cold, I would expect.

For perspective, I charge my S100 on a 40 amp 220v circuit (32 max charge speed) and usually have it turned down to 24 amps. But you’re colder than I am.

My car last Thu had been sitting out in the open since 8:30am and then drove from Wall and Portage to Polo Park; it only took 8 min of 0km/hr (occasionally flickering to 1 or 2km) before it started charging. I don't think an hour had to do with getting the battery warm.

Yes, go with 50A circuit. We had a 40A 14-50 (Stove or welder 50A 240V socket, 8-gauge copper wire run) socket put in and used our portable charger. We bought the last of the (now discontinued) wall chargers with the 14-50 plug instead of direct connect. Then, after a near-meltdown (I suspect the red wire connection in the socket was not tight enough) we had the run rewired as 50A to be safe (6-gauge copper). The portable charger draws 32A (safe continuous for a 40A circuit) but the wall charger pulls 40A (safe continuous power for a 50A circuit). We could limit the amps to 32 on the charge screen in the car, but worried what would happen if the number got reset and we didn't notice. (So very important note - be sure the wires are screwed down TIGHT in the charger or socket)

I suppose now you have to buy the wall charger or go with a plug and the portable. Our concern was that using just the portable charger was putting all our eggs in one basket - what if it failed? Now that there are (will be?) superchargers in town, this is less of a worry.

Plus, my CHaDEMO adapter arrived the other day.

I also tried out the chargers today with results that are similar to others. My car, LR AWD Model 3, was out in a temperature of -13°C with only a short trip to Polo Park. I plugged into the 3rd charger from the east for 15 minutes, saw a rate that flipped between 0 and 1 km per hour, and got a range increase of only 2 km. I unplugged and moved to the 4th charger and things improved. The rate steadily increased for 45 minutes more to 38kW, 250 km/hr then began to decrease.

I don't think switching chargers made the difference; I think it just took that long for the battery to warm up. The later decrease was because the state of charge had risen.

I visited last week and I could get only 20 minutes of charging at each charger I tried. This restriction seems to be gone. It might be a reasonable restriction for testing in warm weather but here it was unreasonable since it takes so long just to thaw out the battery. 15 minutes before a range increase at -13°C -- how long will it take when real cold comes? The price on my screen stayed at US$0.00 .

We have a 14-30 installed in our garage at home and we get about 40 km/hr of charge from it on average. We went with 14-30 because I couldn't put a 14-50 in, there wasn't enough capacity in our box inside the house. I had my in-laws install a 14-50 at their place and we will be going out there over the Christmas Holidays to see how it does.

I would like Tesla to officially open the superchargers, I will be in the area on Saturday so I will try them out and see what I can get from them.

My car last Thu had been sitting out in the open since 8:30am and then drove from Wall and Portage to Polo Park; it only took 8 min of 0km/hr (occasionally flickering to 1 or 2km) before it started charging. I don't think an hour had to do with getting the battery warm.

Note too that if you set the supercharger as your destination, the car will prewarm the battery for you as you are driving to the charger. You can’t do that yet, because they don’t show up on the in-car map. But I’ll mention so that people don’t worry that zero progress in charging for a while is normal. It is not.

I also mention it so that if range is tight, you don’t choose a supercharger as the destination and burn a bunch of battery range heating the battery when arriving cold would give you some additional assurance that you could make the distance. On a long drive, the battery will be warm enough for charging anyway.

Reactions: Andy O
I schedule my car to charge starting at 1AM - so I don't plan to have the oven, dryer, dishwasher, or anything big going at that time. My 50A circuit (drawing 40A during charging) would only be competing with the hot water tank at most; it hasn't popped the 100A service feed breaker so far.

Even if you are only going to put in 30A, pull the 6GA wire needed for 50A in future. Then it would just be a matter of changing the breaker and socket.

At 240v/40A (9KW) I see a charge rate of about 58km/h for Model 3 LR-AWD. With the portable charger pulling 32A (its maximum) I saw 47km/hr. My garage is insulated but not heated.

Note too that if you set the supercharger as your destination, the car will prewarm the battery for you as you are driving to the charger. You can’t do that yet, because they don’t show up on the in-car map. But I’ll mention so that people don’t worry that zero progress in charging for a while is normal. It is not.

I also mention it so that if range is tight, you don’t choose a supercharger as the destination and burn a bunch of battery range heating the battery when arriving cold would give you some additional assurance that you could make the distance. On a long drive, the battery will be warm enough for charging anyway.

Does it actually do that? I understood the S and X had a heater for the battery coolant fluid. The Model 3 would heat the battery by running battery current through the motor without turning it - can it do that while the car is in motion? Driving is effectively doing the same thing.

On my recent road trip my Model 3 always informed me that it was beginning pre-conditioning for supercharging whenever the navigator knew I was heading for and approaching a supercharger. This began very roughly about 20 km before arrival. I don't know what it was doing as pre-conditioning though.

Even if you are only going to put in 30A, pull the 6GA wire needed for 50A in future. Then it would just be a matter of changing the breaker and socket.

My only suggestion would be to consider pulling even larger gauge wire if a second EV is in your future (and this is your "forever" house). This would allow you to potentially link multiple HPWCs together, as they can communicate, thus allowing full current draws when appropriate, or lower draws when co-charging so as to not trip the breaker.

While it would have been an extravagance, I regret not thinking of it before pulling the 6G myself earlier.

Also, consider Teck Cable - armoured and insulated, so you don't need to run conduit if it needs to run outside of the wall. Saves on labour and frustration, but does cost more for supplies. Of course, check with your local code requirements...

My only suggestion would be to consider pulling even larger gauge wire if a second EV is in your future (and this is your "forever" house). This would allow you to potentially link multiple HPWCs together, as they can communicate, thus allowing full current draws when appropriate, or lower draws when co-charging so as to not trip the breaker.

While it would have been an extravagance, I regret not thinking of it before pulling the 6G myself earlier.

Also, consider Teck Cable - armoured and insulated, so you don't need to run conduit if it needs to run outside of the wall. Saves on labour and frustration, but does cost more for supplies. Of course, check with your local code requirements...
Yes, a quick perusal of the wall-mount charger manual way back when tells me... (Assuming I remember correctly)
- the wall charger can do I think up to 100A (So 24KW)
-that's only good for S and X, the AC 240V charging on the 3 LR is limited to 48A, on the SR/MR to 40A
-the wall chargers have a rotary switch inside to tell the charger the max draw if your wire/breaker won't do the max amount of the charger.
-you can hook one wall charger to another and they will collaborate to share or alternate charge current without exceeding the max.
-if you run wire outside the wall on the surface, it must be protected with conduit or tek armour (which you probably want to do if you put a charger on each side of a double garage)

I saw some guy's install for his wall charger for a Model X and that tek cable was massive...

Winnipeg just popped up on the app/in-car map!

Screenshot_20191220-173618.png

Just drove in from the m Winnipeg Beach. Battery has Ben "preconditioning" for about 30 minutes of the drive in and still shows it now while charging. Charge rate is hoveri g arou d 426km/hr.65kw.

Attachments

• 15769289219412667515260037428386.jpg
    15769289219412667515260037428386.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 54