Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50kW is common for Chademo and CCS, not Tesla SuperChargers. Furthermore, “fast DC chargers” is omission code for not Tesla (i.e., Chademo and/or CCS). Everything going in today is at least CCS, so the main question is if it has any Chademo. No Tesla in that permit.
Could be Electrify America.

I was recently damn near certain I found a supercharger under construction in North Bend, WA. It was obvious that it was the same crew working on it as are working on the Issaquah, WA supercharger which made me even more certain. But alas, it turned out to be an Electrify America project. Those seemed to be extremely slow in coming and I'm still skeptical that the money will get used in a way that is anywhere near efficient, but we are starting to see them pop up in various places.

Tesla just changed "Target opening in Summer 2018"
to
"Target opening in 2019" for following cities Marin City, Mountain View, Dublin, Emeryville, Woodside
"Target opening by end of 2018" for Milpitas, Alameda, Incline Village (not CA, but close), Livermore, San Jose(South)

Probably not going into Angel's Camp with the new Sonora one also being on Hwy 49 just 16 miles away. With a new charger also going in on Hwy 88 they may be even less likely to put in a charger on Hwy 4 until there is more traffic up that way. I guess they want you to use 108 and turn on 49 to get to Copperopolis, Angels Camp, Murphys, and Arnold.

I am curious if they are actually going to put the Sonora Supercharger there at the north end of town, far away from Hwy 108. If they only put it there near the end of Hwy 49 it will mostly be used by those going to locals, and I am on the only local with a Tesla up there. If it's out on the highway people going to 395 can hit it, that is the best drive I have done in my Model 3. I was fortunate enough to have a HPWC waiting for me when I got to my Sonora cabin. Having a Supercharger on 108 would be an awesome opening-up of the Sonora Pass.

-Randy

Reactions: KathyApplebaum
Probably not going into Angel's Camp with the new Sonora one also being on Hwy 49 just 16 miles away. With a new charger also going in on Hwy 88 they may be even less likely to put in a charger on Hwy 4 until there is more traffic up that way. I guess they want you to use 108 and turn on 49 to get to Copperopolis, Angels Camp, Murphys, and Arnold.

I am curious if they are actually going to put the Sonora Supercharger there at the north end of town, far away from Hwy 108. If they only put it there near the end of Hwy 49 it will mostly be used by those going to locals, and I am on the only local with a Tesla up there. If it's out on the highway people going to 395 can hit it, that is the best drive I have done in my Model 3. I was fortunate enough to have a HPWC waiting for me when I got to my Sonora cabin. Having a Supercharger on 108 would be an awesome opening-up of the Sonora Pass.

-Randy

I would guess that Jamestown might be a more ideal spot for the Sonora area. It would cater easily to both SR108 and SR49 and indirectly the Groveland Supercharger to and from Yosemite. Manteca is probably close enough for the vast majority of SR4 travelers if they are headed to Bear Valley to ski. I am not sure of the through traffic over Ebbets Pass during the 7 months that it is open to traffic due to the 25-some miles of 1 1/2 lane road. I would guess that Sonora Pass gets much more, but do not have the traffic counts. Finally, PlugShare lists a number of HPWC in the Murphys-Bear Valley area that would suffice in a pinch.

When Tesla puts a Supercharger in Stockton, that should eliminate any charging issues for those traveling on SR4, even if they surmount Ebbets Pass to reach US395 via Monitor Pass and the Topaz Lake Supercharger a mere 8 miles to the north.

I drove through Laytonville on Hwy 101 last week and noticed some heavy equipment and construction near the Boomer's Bar and the Chinese Restaurant. Could it be? Does anyone know if this is the site for the upcoming Supercharger? Anyone know how long it generally takes to complete a Supercharger site, typically? Ball park? I drove through Laytonville at least once a month and would really like the option to juice up at that location.

I drove through Laytonville on Hwy 101 last week and noticed some heavy equipment and construction near the Boomer's Bar and the Chinese Restaurant. Could it be? Does anyone know if this is the site for the upcoming Supercharger? Anyone know how long it generally takes to complete a Supercharger site, typically? Ball park? I drove through Laytonville at least once a month and would really like the option to juice up at that location.
See here: Supercharger - Laytonville (permit found, construction not started)

You can also see a list of superchargers in the permit or construction phase that have been discovered by the public here: supercharge.info

As @Pluto noted, there is a dedicated thread for that Supercharger location.

There is no way to accurately predict when that new Supercharger will be operational. It depends on many factors, only some of which are under Tesla’s control. And construction hasn’t even started yet. All I can say is “more than 3 months and less than 3 years”. Seriously.

Noticed the other day that there's a mission district charger slated for SF on the map. I drove around the area where it's shown on the map but noticed no visible construction. Curious if anyone had any details on it, I assume it's stuck in permit hell or something like that even though it says opening in 2018..

While we're on the topic, any other super chargers in SF making progress that anyone knows of?

Attachments

• t.PNG
    t.PNG
    807.4 KB · Views: 66
Noticed the other day that there's a mission district charger slated for SF on the map. I drove around the area where it's shown on the map but noticed no visible construction. Curious if anyone had any details on it, I assume it's stuck in permit hell or something like that even though it says opening in 2018..

While we're on the topic, any other super chargers in SF making progress that anyone knows of?
Those have been on the map for a while. We finally got progress just south of the city, but nothing in the city.
I suggest trolling permit sites, and Target parking lots.

Reactions: DOCAL

You were wasting your time driving around where the pin is on the Tesla map. Those pins are simply placed at the center of the city or in this case, center of the neighborhood where they are listed. This is determined by Google Maps.

Try navigating to "Mission District, San Francisco, CA" from a nearby city (I used Daly City, but you can use anything) using Google Maps and you will see what I mean. It will direct you to the same place where the pin is on the Tesla map, Folsom Street between 19th and 20th Streets.

There is currently a shopping mall extension being built next to the target at 2675 Geary Blvd, San Francisco. It looks like they will be revamping the area and the parking lot. This would be a great location for a Urban Supercharger.

Alternatively, they could build one at the Best Buy on Harrison street.

Reactions: e-FTW
Moderator note: this post and the next 6 in this thread were moved from the Corte Madera Supercharger thread.

I was there today and saw all the construction and didn't look behind the fencing... wow. I wonder if the Tesla store will hog all these chargers... parking was very scarce back there today at 2 pm with lots of deliveries to the stores and shoppers parking back there too.
The Marin City / San Rafael "coming soon" Superchargers are the Target stores in each of those locations. Currently Marin City is showing 2019, and the San Rafael SC was showing summer 2018, now just 2018, but I was just there two days ago and I don't see any construction. The San Rafael SC would be much easier on/off for travelers and much less congestion I think.

Last edited by a moderator: