Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you using they type of power that 10 or so Superchargers use? I am more use manufacturing facilities that do things like welding and cutting metal or computer servers.
Nothing mechanical like 3 phase. We're a sleep lab running sleep studies. Several big servers, remote cameras, data collection. Bigger buildings would be considered Industrial but they need the power during the day.

Reactions: jboy210
Nothing mechanical like 3 phase. We're a sleep lab running sleep studies. Several big servers, remote cameras, data collection. Bigger buildings would be considered Industrial but they need the power during the day.
OK.

And sleep studies like in CPAP? If so, I was a patient and remember all the cameras and data collection.

Reactions: Fnlrun
What size is your transformer? guessing 200kva or less? When you are dealing with 1000kva or Huber, you are in a different world of electric rates and demand charges.

Is it a separate building? Is there a big green box outside like you see at supercharger sites? If not, you are probably on regular split phase and not 3 phase.
Most multi-tenant small office buildings 10kSF to 100kSF would probably be on one pad mounted transformer with separate metering for each suite. Those are usually 120Y208V. A small to medium sized hotel would be the same, except the multiple metering.
However, the voltage is not usually the determining factor for commercial rates, it's the max kW demand. For PG&E, there are tiers like this:
  • Under 75kW demand and 150MWh/year (no demand charge)
  • 75kW-499kW demand
  • 500kW-999kW demand
  • 1000kW+demand

Reactions: 1100MCM
Haha - I loved the video and added my vote too. As a regular visitor to Sea Ranch, I'm no stranger to Upper Crust and Surf Market. Although I've never understood the appeal of the Mexican Pizza place by the grocery store, the times I've been there it's just been a few slices under a warm light, à la 7-11. Upper Crust, however, is legit!

There really isn't anywhere to charge, and you are far from everywhere. The Sea Ranch Lodge previously had free chargers before the remodel (L2, I think). The Sea Ranch Supply hardware store has pay-chargers, but if I remember correctly, they were really expensive. Considering that you have to wait for the Level 2 charging speeds, they should be used for emergency purposes only.

There are a lot of Teslas around Sea Ranch. Chargers in Gualala would get plenty of use from the locals and pass-through visitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: sxnahm
The Sea Ranch Lodge previously had free chargers before the remodel (L2, I think).
Yep, they were Tesla destination chargers. I last stopped there in November 2019 to charge a bit, haven’t been since.

IMG_0678.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Thanks for the votes! We’re over 500 now, but I’m seeing the top seven sites for North America are all in Canada all with more than 1400 votes. C’mon USA, get going with some votes.

Yes, back in 2015 when I got my prior Model S I discovered that The Lodge had two 80-amp destination chargers. So I used a referral bonus to pay for a second charger so I could use the full power there. (Over the 8.5 years I had that car I believe I charged at 80-amps only twice.)

The Lodge now has four ChargePoint chargers in the main lot and four more in the parking area for the hotel rooms. Not sure the cost, but they are not free. PlugShare says $4/hour for charging at 6.5kW which is about 61 cents/kWh (not terrible for CA after our recent PG&E price hikes).

Power outages happen in this area — the recent storm took power out for four days in the southern part of The Sea Ranch and for three days for the north area and Gualala. I spoke to a Tesla owner and he told me he needed to drive to Fort Bragg to charge his car due to the power loss — quite a drive to juice up. If Tesla does put a Supercharger here they should definitely include a Megapack and solar.