TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Superchargers Visited

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by Wiki, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Barry

Barry Active Member

#2961 Barry, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    @PLUS EV , you must be getting old. This doesn't sound like PLUS, the risk taker, that I knew 5-10 years ago ;)

2. Darren S

Darren S Supporting Member

@PLUS EV, the review that @Bighorn noted after his trip was, imho, dead-on accurate although I only ventured 200 miles in to the closest supercharger and then turned around and came back to the US so I can only attest to some of his info but the rest of it sounds legit but I'm sure you'll make it down there eventually.

Insurance on your vehicle in the US is not supported in Mexico and, from what I've heard, you might not even be allowed into the country without Mexican insurance. Bighorn and I both had this ahead of time but it is purchased on a per-day timeframe so having a delay like a flat tire and flatbed tow could delay the trip and then your insurance no longer covers beyond a 2nd day.

Nighttime travel was definitely sketchy but I was only in the last 30 minutes or so of nightfall but that was way more than enough for me. I was detained at a Checkpoint on the Toll road as they didn't see the sticker on the windshield that Bighorn talks about but I showed them my Mexican insurance papers and they let me pass but I was a bit worried for a few minutes if the car was going to be impounded and I got to figure out the next steps.

It was definitely an experience and I was happy to attempt it but definitely should have done a bit more prep work such as get way more Pesos ahead of time, learn some more basics of the language, and not wait until Noon before leaving Laredo for the run. I didn't have detours or traffic jams but didn't have any time to spare as it was.

Good luck to anyone heading down that way and feel free to ask or post questions here or on other location-specific threads for assistance and hopefully it can aid someone else in the future.

• Informative x 1
  3. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Back so soon? :cool:

It’s been busy around here lately. Hagerstown and Laurel are usually full, Springfield and National Harbor are half full most week days and nearly full on weekends.

• Like x 1
  4. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

My day 1 was a detour off the main toll road you took down to Ramos Arizpe. You have no idea how bad that is until you see roads that are gridlocked and barely navigable with people going both ways around the round abouts and driving on soft shoulders, no connectivity and directions for turns to get back to the highway on roads that don’t exist. Reminded me of rural Cambodia. Pair that terror with not knowing how long your detour lasts and whether there’s enough in the tank. I had to pull over and get out my phone map which fortunately sometimes had connectivity.
    The return trip was a piece of cake cruising at over 100 MPH with cars from the US on tarmac better than in TX. I learned the Spanish for toll road quickly and gladly parted with many pesos for the privilege. Primarily commercial drivers and Americans are able to afford the luxury.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

FYI for the duplicate site folks:
    National Harbor MD site has been sold and decommissioned, with new superchargers going into the parking garage that is directly across the street. Work's just started.
    Make your plans now to come on back to the area and pick up another tick mark for an existing charger site :)

• Informative x 2
  6. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Well that one didn't last long. Barely over a year!

7. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Springfield is going to be packed until they get National Harbor moved to the adjacent parking garage.

8. Tdreamer

Tdreamer Supporting Member

Thanks - was just searching for clues as to if this would be eligible for a second count in the game. Was lucky enough to hit this site around Thanksgiving, knowing it was on the way out.

9. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

1/8/19

Pennsylvania: Altoona

• Like x 1
  10. Darren S

Updated, @Bighorn

• Like x 1
  11. TreborThickweb

Got a little road trip going looking for some sun or warmth. I can’t add these to the Version 3 from my iPhone and have yet to figure the Wiki. Please add these when possible, or I can update the version 3 entries when I get home, thanks! (8 new)
    Detroit Lake OR, 1/4/2019
    Alameda CA, 1/5/2019
    Fremont Factory CA, 1/6/2019
    Salinas CA, 1/6/2019
    San Luis Obispo CA,1/7/2019
    Thousand Oaks East Blvd, 1/7/2019
    Hawthorne SpaceX CA, 1/8/2019
    Westminster CA 1/10/2019

12. Darren S

These have been updated, @TreborThickweb, and you are at 171 now

13. TreborThickweb

Thanks Darren

14. Tdreamer

Berlin, VT
    South Burlington, VT
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Queensbury, NY
    Albany, NY
    Kingston, NY

100 if I’m counting correctly

• Like x 5
  15. Tdreamer

Clinton Corners, NY

16. Bighorn

Bighorn Top Supercharger

1/12/19

Georgia: Buford, Macon-Tom Hill, Augusta-Belair Frontage

• Like x 1
  17. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

updated
    yep. Added to century table. What should go in the "supercharging since" column for you?

• Like x 1
  18. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

And then you have outliers like me or am I? I've had my car 8 months and driven 9K miles which isn't much. Zero superchargers.

19. tes-s

tes-s Supporting Member

We all started there.... :)

• Funny x 1
  20. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Maybe, but I cannot recall a trip over 200 miles in the last 10 years so doubt I will change now :)
    Today was probably my longest trip so far. Did a full charge for only the 2nd time and drove 175 miles today in 20 degree weather and still had a good amount of range left.

• Like x 1
Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.