Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Credit Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume that is not something that Tesla would be interested in offering anymore. 400 kWh included annually with every car is a great idea. Many owners will never exceed this, but those that do will have to pay which addresses the issue of local Supercharging. If someone wants to Supercharge locally exclusively they will pay a fair price. If someone is running a business using Superchargers, they also pay which I am sure those business owners will be fine with.

It is understandable, but changes the economics of the car for those who legitimately used superchargers for long distance travel. You are pretty much forced to charge at a SC for those long distance trips as the other DC options are few and far between. AC/L2 is just too slow for long distance travel use unless you can park your car overnight at one.

Also, folks that get a Tesla and do not have the ability to get charging at home will not be deterred by this policy as they will not likely have any other option.

This will help Telsa with their bottom line.

It's not 100% clear if the unlimited supercharging is transferrable. The press release says "current owners" which is vague to consider new owners of current cars.

It could do with clarification, but they'd have trouble making it not in any way transferrable - "free for life" has to be either my life or the car's life. Either Transferrable with the owner or transferrable with the car would be reasonable.

Edit: actually it is clear on the current website:

How much does it cost to use the Superchargers?
Supercharging is free for the life of Model S and Model X, once the Supercharger option is enabled.

Currently on this URL, though they'll presumably edit it soon:
Supercharging

This has been a long time coming. This will put an end to locals abusing SCs as personal charging stations, that's for sure.

400 kWh.....that's what, 4 full charges on a S100? Not that much really...

It's a few road trips, but more to the point, BMW didn't give me four tanks of gas every year either.

I'm curious if the credits will roll over for owners that don't use all 400kwh

Reactions: BG121
This has been a long time coming. This will put an end to locals abusing SCs as personal charging stations, that's for sure.

400 kWh.....that's what, 4 full charges on a S100? Not that much really...
I don't actually think it will help with existing abuse. Those folks still get to keep using them in an unlimited fashion. It should prevent the problem from getting worse going forward though.

Reactions: Canuck
I don't actually think it will help with existing abuse. Those folks still get to keep using them in an unlimited fashion. It should prevent the problem from getting worse going forward though.

There are folks that cannot charge at home or at work conveniently. I expect that there will be a greater percentage of those folks when the Model 3 arrives, especially in the cities. This will not prevent the problem from getting worse but it will allow Tesla to get the funds to build more stations and potentially make Superchargers revenue neutral.

I would assume that is not something that Tesla would be interested in offering anymore.
From Elon Musk On Why Supercharging Won't Be Free For Model 3
… we wanted to make it really straightforward and easy, that’s why the Superchargers are set up at -least today – for people on board the car to travel long distances for life. Obviously, that has fundamentally a cost… The obvious thing to do is decouple that from the cost of the Model 3. So it will still be very cheap, and far cheaper than gasoline, to drive long-distance with the Model 3, but it will not be free long distance for life unless you purchase that package. I wish we could [make it free], but in order to achieve the economics, it has to be something like that. What Tesla’s motivation is, to make electric transport as affordable as possible. That is what informs all of our actions. It’s not because we want to make things more expensive, it is because we can’t figure out how to make it less expensive. That’s all.
Wouldn't be the first time Elon got it wrong, but I'm going to hold out hope there is a free long distance package.

Meh.. just means in a couple of years I won't be factoring in free long distance into the purchase price when my horrible car buying disease raises it's ugly head again.

This is a nice car, but I could have bought a nicer 2015 S63 AMG.

Then again, no matter what I got bragging rights and an in with the eco-friendly obsessives at my company. And no matter how stingy they are, Tesla can't really take away the fact that no oil changes, and that my brakes last twice as long, and those wonderful gray 21 inch wheels that I've abused miserably.

Other than being blasted by an Audi RS4 the other week, life is still good friends... :)

What is you guys opinion on what the new supercharging fee based structure will do to those future Tesla owners who live in apartments or condos where there is no possibility of "home charging"

I'm hoping that Tesla leadership didn't automatically assume that everyone in their customer base has garage charging opportunities as they do.
I wonder how much SC'ing will cost them.

What is you guys opinion on what the new supercharging fee based structure will do to those future Tesla owners who live in apartments or condos where there is no possibility of "home charging"

I'm hoping that Tesla leadership didn't automatically assume that everyone in their customer base has garage charging opportunities as they do.
I wonder how much SC'ing will cost them.
The same thing it does for folks going with another brand. They will have to pay. Which is the same thing that happens for folks that can charge at home (ignoring the solar folks).
As long as charging doesn't cost more than what the competition charges then it should be fine.

Any idea on how much that would be?
EVGo Charges:
On-the-Go
For frequent fast charging

Monthly fee $14.95
DC fast 10¢ / min.*
Level 2 $1.00 / hr.*
Contract term 12 months
Setup fee None
Early termination $29

Flex
Great for occasional charging

Monthly fee None
DC fast $4.95 session + 20¢ / min.*
Level 2 $1.50 / hr.*
Contract term Month-to-month
Setup fee $4.95
Early termination None

It appears ChargePoint Pricing varies as it can be set by the station owner.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I've studied other car brands and their non EV based intended involvement into the EV market.

For instance, the Bolt is nothing more than an initiative to get Chevys fleet MPG down. They really aren't interested in EV.

HOWEVER

The more I study Jaguar....they are entering the EV market with a true interest in EV. They seem to be doing things to their EV car that only people who are interested in EV would do. It looks luxurious and clean with nice 0-60 times....with at least 250 mile range per charge.

This seems like M3 competition.

Now if Jaguar is really interested in EV....they could truly create their own charging infrastructure.

In Pictures: Jaguar’s first all-electric car I-PACE with about 250 miles of range in 2018