Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't like Non-Disclosure Agreement either but it's been a common legal practice until Tesla uses it then why suddenly, all hell breaks loose and you have to investigate Tesla for the crime of practicing NDA?

Not good for Tesla either. GM used TSBs to fix their ignition switches, without reporting to the NHTSA, did'nt end well...
No company should be trying to conceal safety issues.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Funny!!!
Tesla saved more lives than companies like Mercedes and Volvo with their innovations in ABS, airbags, cage structure, 3 point seat belt, seat belt tensioners, etc, etc. etc.

Go read Tesla's recent comments about how they viewed the safety and reliability of the Roadster, or explain how some owners of the X drive while holding their door closed due to latch problems, then get back to us about how they are doing on safety.

Way to go with completely misunderstanding that anecdote about Roadster #1.

Also, for those of you that somehow think that control arm failures are rare:
control arm corrosion recall - Google Search

While it is not common for control arms to fail, it is also not uncommon for control arms to fail under 100,000 miles. Outside of the ball joint, the rest of his control arm doesn't look all that great either. Like it was pummeled and then sprayed with salt water.

Here are some pictures of mine, built summer 2013:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Az_Rael
I have owned my Model S since May of 2013 and truly love the car. With that said, I must tell everyone about a recent problem I experienced this past Sunday while driving on a back road at a very low rate of speed, about 5 MPH. The road was rough so my air ride was at it max lift. As I was proceeding down a steep hill I heard a snap and felt my steering wheel pull to the left. I stopped the car for further inspection only to discover that my left front hub assembly separated from the upper control arm. Needless to say the car was inoperable due to a loss of steering. Thank goodness I was not traveling at a high rate of speed. This could of been a tragic accident causing injury or even death.
I contacted Tesla and they towed the car to a service center. They just informed that this is not covered under warranty, stating that the cause was due to normal wear and tear. I have owned many cars in my life and have never experienced such a failure. My car has been driven 73000 miles.

Has anyone experienced this failure on their car?
:(
I believe there was not an intact boot on that failed ball joint for a very long time. What happened to that boot is critical to explaining the failure. Also, I think the bolded text above is key to answering what happened at the time of failure, possibly the loss of the ball joint boot as well.

Reactions: sorka and techmaven

That troll is trying to use the anecdote from the most recent shareholder meeting when Musk and JB were talking about AC Propulsion's tzero which lacked basic safety features. Was basically just a shell.

Last edited:
Likely with GM, the reports were slow and not attended to because of a well earned expectation of parts failure.

I did have an Acura with a ball joint failure without preceding symptoms. Don't remember the mileage , moderate not wildly high, perhaps 90-100k. No recall on that car, paid for the repair, kept loving the car.

Yeah, that's your interpretation of what the NDA was designed to do.

Since you've been commenting in this thread:

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

I have to assume you're feigning ignorance for some reason...
This from the lame-stream media at Ap:

US government investigating Tesla suspension issues

NHTSA says it's also concerned that Tesla has asked owners to sign nondisclosure agreements about safety issues. The agency says such agreements could prevent owners from reporting problems to the government.

This from the lame-stream media at Ap:

US government investigating Tesla suspension issues

NHTSA says it's also concerned that Tesla has asked owners to sign nondisclosure agreements about safety issues. The agency says such agreements could prevent owners from reporting problems to the government.

Great, and a Tesla spokesperson said it wasn't true. We are apparently at an impasse.

• Helpful
Reactions: X Yes?
Can someone clarify the part (ball joint) in this picture?

Are we talking about the joint directly ABOVE the tire in this pic? Looks like it connects to the Upper Control Arm.

Thanks
Yes, that is the joint, and the rubber boot around it had been broken or missing for quite a while.

Edit: Generally a missing or broken ball joint boot would be discovered during an alignment, front suspension or safety inspection.

@JRP3 LoLwat
no ball joints usually are kaput at about 50k on modern vehicles
about the only time you can see more then that is if you do nothing but steady highway driving
as for the corriosion it simply looks like it wasn't greased regularly and I have seen far far worse ones

You don't know what you're talking about. Modern ball joints are sealed and greased for life from the factory. There aren't even grease fittings.

• Informative
Reactions: mark80908
I'm not sure the problem is entirely the fault of a torn or compromised boot seal. If you look at the photo of the ball the entire surface is evenly pitted and corroded. I am not sure you would see such a uniformity from a failed boot. Perhaps the supplier had a material supply issue where the metal was the wrong alloy.

I'm not sure the problem is entirely the fault of a torn or compromised boot seal. If you look at the photo of the ball the entire surface is evenly pitted and corroded. I am not sure you would see such a uniformity from a failed boot. Perhaps the supplier had a material supply issue where the metal was the wrong alloy.

There is also quite a bit of corrosion on the control arm itself, it looked like.

Would be interesting to see more photos of control arms and boots from the salty road states. I wouldn't be surprised by a temporary vendor supply issue - it happens to us all the time where I work.

Well regardless... We will find out when tesla issues a public response OR NHTSA completes their inquiry.

While it is not common for control arms to fail, it is also not uncommon for control arms to fail under 100,000 miles. Outside of the ball joint, the rest of his control arm doesn't look all that great either. Like it was pummeled and then sprayed with salt water.

Here are some pictures of mine, built summer 2013:

Yep. Yours look like mine. Very clean and rubber boots intact

Status
Not open for further replies.