Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW/Firmware: Model S Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of you programmers already have plans to write an app for the S?

Absolutely yes. I routinely pester my Tesla person about the SDK (I don't expect it to exist for a while, but I want them to know we're out here).

I plan to, at a minimum:
- Write some sort of interface to my home automation system (Crestron-based, but I'll communicate with some machine inside the firewall, which will in turn talk to the controller).
- Provide a way to view stills (at least) from the camera at home. This could be done with just the web browser, most likely.
- I didn't see a "trip computer" on the menus. (did anyone else?) (elapsed time, miles so far, avg speeds, etc.).

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff, the home automation integration is a big one for me.

/Mitch.

Do any of you programmers already have plans to write an app for the S?
I'm curious, but I'm not a tinkerer by nature so unless I can think of an actual need I'm not likely to try it out. If I can find a need, something I want to solve, then I'll go hog while on the SDK to figure out how to solve it.

Last edited:
It'll be fun to play angry bird while stuck in traffic!
I'm scared.

sorry for requoting myselfe ...
at first we don't need an SDK ... Tesla should adapt our existing favorit Android / IOS Apps ...
No. Tesla should make a car. A damn good car. An industry eye-opening car. They don't and shouldn't waste resources on porting the latest trivial fad apps, games, etc.

Apps that I would like to have:

- Calendar capable of multiple online CalDAV sources
- Pandora
- Live Sports scores updating app (like ESPN or something). I'm hoping to be able to listen to music but glance down every once and a while and catch a few scores.
- Open Table
- Fandango

No. Tesla should make a car. A damn good car. An industry eye-opening car. They don't and shouldn't waste resources on porting the latest trivial fad apps, games, etc.

Yes, because having the software guys working on apps is going to take away from the car... The first car shipping with a full apps platform would also be eye-opening. It's not just one thing in the car that makes it what it is.