Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sydney to Melbourne via Tesla Superchargers, how long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far the road trip is not going well. I have not had the need to Supercharge for more than a year and as we were able to leave from the southern highlands we could skip Goulburn. Plugged in at Gundagai and went in to get something to eat. Checked the app and it was still starting to charge 10 minutes later. Tried a bunch of different stalls all the same.
Rang Tesla Roadside Assist and they could see my connection lights were green flashing but not charging.
After some analysis, restarting the car etc there was no change. He found the nearest destination charger at Hillview Farmstay further along the Hume. He said that sometimes charging on AC will wake or reset the battery and allow you to Supercharge again. We googled it and found Ruth the owners number and she graciously consented to letting us charge. Will the manager let us charge for free and it was a16A 3phase which gave us 58 Km/h. Charged for an hour to get us to 209 Rated to go the 150Km to Wodonga.
Drove to Wodonga at 100 Km/h to conserve energy and got there with 32Km left. Same deal there. Looked up local destination charge hotel so we are now plugged into 32Amp single phase and it will complete a 100% charge at around 3 AM this morning. I'm also in the doghouse for arguing to go by car.
Moral of the story check you can Supercharge before going on a long journey.
Looks like I won't be able to answer the question posed by this thread after all.

Do you think the car will charge on non Tesla DC?

Another good case for having at least one destination charger close to Superchargers at this early stage.

How did you go Meloccom?
Turned up at Richmond about 8AM Saturday morning as the ferry throws you off from 6:30. Plugged in to the Supercharger to test the car again and if not successful hopefully generate some error codes. Of course this time it worked perfectly and started to Supercharge like nothing had ever been wrong, grrrr.
As Tesla had agreed to open the Service Centre on a Saturday just for us I thought it would be rude to leave anyway and it would be at risk of it breaking again.
So we had breakfast at Top Paddock and went for a drive to burn time until they opened at 10AM.
Luke our tech was great, apparently they had been examining the car remotely which may explain why the change in operation but there were still some concerns that he'd needed to address, so they provided us with an Uber to NGV to spend a few hours. Luke was a bit guarded over exactly what went wrong but indicated that he would be replacing one of the chargers. This surprised me as I was under the understanding that Supercharging bypassed them.
Got going at 1:30PM and arrived in the Southern Highlands house at a quarter to midnight after an uneventful drive north. The car recommended to charge at Euroa and Gundagai only but we were scheduled to arrive at Gundagai after Olivers closed at 8 so stopped at Wodonga as well to have dinner so we may have been able to make it a bit faster if we needed to. In any case Olivers was open until 9PM so grabbed a coffee before they closed.
So that's just over 10 hours, add another 1.5 to get to Sydney proper along with 30 minutes at Goulburn, means that my initial guess of 12 hours Melbourne to Sydney was a pretty close.

If my Model 3 arrives in time in December for a trip from northern Sydney to Melbourne, I wanted to get some advice from those who've done that trip.
I'll be travelling on my own but with my dog and so I felt I should stop overnight about halfway. Any dog friendly recommendations where I could sleep and charge?
A Better Route Planner suggests it will take about 10 hours including stops at Goulburn, Gundagai and Barnawartha North. If that's realistic, My reading of this thread suggests that most people are doing it in one day so I'm tempted to leave early and do that. However, I'll not have had much experience with the car at that point.

If my Model 3 arrives in time in December for a trip from northern Sydney to Melbourne, I wanted to get some advice from those who've done that trip.
I'll be travelling on my own but with my dog and so I felt I should stop overnight about halfway. Any dog friendly recommendations where I could sleep and charge?
A Better Route Planner suggests it will take about 10 hours including stops at Goulburn, Gundagai and Barnawartha North. If that's realistic, My reading of this thread suggests that most people are doing it in one day so I'm tempted to leave early and do that. However, I'll not have had much experience with the car at that point.

Very easy drive. If you leave on 100% you may be able to make Gundagai (stop at Goulbourn if nervous or Jugiong has an NRMA fast charger), then only charge enough to get to your next charging point with say 10% buffer It should take 10 to 10.5 hours. You will arrive fresh if you let the car drive itself for most of the way.

As someone that did Brisbane to Melbourne on the second day of ownership I can feel your excitement!

It is a very easy drive but if you do want to break it up I highly recommend hillview farm stay. They are pet friendly and have Tesla destination chargers - and are right off the highway.

Hillview

• Informative
Reactions: m4rtin
Thanks PJF and Grenadine.
You will arrive fresh if you let the car drive itself for most of the way.

That's encouraging, then I can splurge on somewhere nice for a night or two in Melbourne. (Tips on accommodation there would be welcome too.)

They are pet friendly and have Tesla destination chargers - and are right off the highway.

Wow, that could be perfect, if not this trip, then another! Thanks.

Best tip is to stay somewhere with a destination charger if you’re overnighting on the way.
Really reduces your charge time, because you can arrive with 10% and leave with 100%.
Also, start your trip at 100%.
Yes, but how do you identify them... I've not found that info clearly identified in the hotels I've looked at. It doesn't even appear that Google has that as a filter in their Maps search. It'd be interesting to read what techniques others are using.