Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes new wireless charging pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great information, but I never need my car charger to fast charge and all the comparison tests of 5w charging vs 7.5w fast charging is not significant enough speed increase to justify paying an additional $80 for the Nomad charger.
It's more that they clearly stole Nomad's original design. But if you don't care about such things, then it's definitely a cheaper choice!

Reactions: e-FTW
93AD493E-842F-430E-9060-49CE64F28C37.jpeg
I’m going to order TapTes now

... to be integrated as a stock component in a future revision of the Model 3? Or as a stand-alone product we can add after the fact? Hopefully both. They should offer wired and wireless charging right out of the box.
Pretty sure it’s a stand-alone product. Whether they will include it in future revision I do not know. Most likely it’ll remain in the Tesla shop for purchase for people who want it.

Great information, but I never need my car charger to fast charge and all the comparison tests of 5w charging vs 7.5w fast charging is not significant enough speed increase to justify paying an additional $80 for the Nomad charger.
I too agree with this. Only need it to give a quick top up every now and then. Will likely even leave one side unplugged so I can still rest my phone on that side for the times I don't want charging.

I sense TapTes is a design house in HK that sends out to a manufacturing house. They offer options to put different brand names to their designs. Perhaps agreements between the Nomad and TapTes expired after a year or after X amount of units, and no agreements were signed. I would not be surprised if Tesla is using TapTes like how the cargo mats appear to be made by WeatherTech.

Reactions: BobAbooey
My Taptes charger was delivered today. I ordered the V1 matte version. Quality seems pretty good. The matte surface is slightly rubberized and I think is more than enough in terms of it's anti-slip characteristics. It's not weighted like the Nomad and I don't think it is an exact copy, but is pretty similar (I have not seen a Nomad in person). I haven't had enough time to test out the charging speed, but below are some photos. They also included a free adhesive backed holder for the Tesla key card.

Attachments

• IMG_9857.jpg
    IMG_9857.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_9858.jpg
    IMG_9858.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_9860.jpg
    IMG_9860.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_9862.jpg
    IMG_9862.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_9861.jpg
    IMG_9861.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_9863.jpg
    IMG_9863.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_9864.jpg
    IMG_9864.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_9866.jpg
    IMG_9866.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_9867.jpg
    IMG_9867.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_9868.jpg
    IMG_9868.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 315
From the pictures it seems to be a bit thinner than the Nomad (not too surprising, given that it wasn't designed to hold a battery like the first version of the Nomad). Reasonable price too. I think I'm going to order one.

Can you say something about the fit? Does it wiggle in the bay, and is it mounted using the adhesive pads shown in one of the photos?

My Taptes charger was delivered today. I ordered the V1 matte version. Quality seems pretty good. The matte surface is slightly rubberized and I think is more than enough in terms of it's anti-slip characteristics. It's not weighted like the Nomad and I don't think it is an exact copy, but is pretty similar (I have not seen a Nomad in person). I haven't had enough time to test out the charging speed, but below are some photos. They also included a free adhesive backed holder for the Tesla key card.

Nice touch regarding letter from Lenn Stan. Not surprised its not weighted like the Nomad. I assume it does not have the metal block that was used to replace the battery in the Nomad.